OFFICIAL A message for BroncosHQ from Billy Walters

The problem with a lot of posts on here are they are reactionary. You go back less less than 3 months and Billy had played really well in trials and I think Rd 1 at times as a 9 and at times as 6 and folks here were saying Billy was the best option in both positions.
A few weeks later and genuinely 1 bad game, and folks are calling for his head!
Billy is doing a good solid job and there's nothing wrong with that.
Sure last week wasn't good enough but that is going to happen now and again to most players.
As long as it's rare, we are getting good service and great value from Billy :)

The problem with a lot of posts on here are they are reactionary. You go back less less than 3 months and Billy had played really well in trials and I think Rd 1 at times as a 9 and at times as 6 and folks here were saying Billy was the best option in both positions.
Sure last week wasn't good enough but that is going to happen now and again to most players.
I agree to an extent but you are only as good as your last game in this sport. It makes sense that people will change their views based on performances.

With all the recent talk of salary caps. I think with the logic Gus presents of having players who are worth more then you pay them, we are currently over paying a few players.

Billy went from underrated to overrated in a single trial game. He's probably being rated about right now. He'd be lucky to get a spine position in any other NRL club unless they're crippled by injuries. Neither would Tyson Gamble. Every game is a battle to hold their place.

We haven't seen that much of Billy yet. He doesn't have youth on his side, so he's still vacillating between benefit of the doubt and seen enough already.

I don't think too many fans see him as anything more than treading water waiting for Kevvie to build a serious spine rather than continue to **** around with budget temps. The spine isn't the place for your moneyballers.

Another season milling between bench and injury cover isn't out of his reach, but unless he can pull out some wow factor soon it's slipping away.

Billy went from underrated to overrated in a single trial game. He's probably being rated about right now. He'd be lucky to get a spine position in any other NRL club unless they're crippled by injuries. Neither would Tyson Gamble. Every game is a battle to hold their place.

We haven't seen that much of Billy yet. He doesn't have youth on his side, so he's still vacillating between benefit of the doubt and seen enough already.

I don't think too many fans see him as anything more than treading water waiting for Kevvie to build a serious spine rather than continue to **** around with budget temps. The spine isn't the place for your moneyballers.

Another season milling between bench and injury cover isn't out of his reach, but unless he can pull out some wow factor soon it's slipping away.
It’s over. As you said, he and Gamble are purely depth players while the club desperately searches for actual starters in the spine. Turpin and Niu fall into the same category, and TMM is an uncertainty.

I'm sure smart accountants would find a way to do it completely legally so it wouldn't upset the ATO. It's not that hard, they'd have lawyers and accountants on speed dial.
I've been thinking about this and the ways a club could launder money to a player and not fall foul of the tax department or the salary cap unit.

I think the most viable way is to backload contracts into jobs for old boys or give a wife or relative an overpaid job. The most obvious example being Ponga's old man, but it also made me think about Boyd and Glenn. I reckon the way they got Boyd to retire a year early - and not exercise his option - was to convert it into a cushy job after retirement. Which would explain why he's still loitering around giving advice on "mental health" etc.

If they're doing that the NRL would see right through it, so they must be across it somehow.

I've been thinking about this and the ways a club could launder money to a player and not fall foul of the tax department or the salary cap unit.

I think the most viable way is to backload contracts into jobs for old boys or give a wife or relative an overpaid job. The most obvious example being Ponga's old man, but it also made me think about Boyd and Glenn. I reckon the way they got Boyd to retire a year early - and not exercise his option - was to convert it into a cushy job after retirement. Which would explain why he's still loitering around giving advice on "mental health" etc.

If they're doing that the NRL would see right through it, so they must be across it somehow.
Well he's obviously not employed to boost the skill set and stocks of our group of potential fullbacks.

The NRL have little incentive to actually catch teams cheating, outside of at least looking like they are. Every team is doing it on some level and it stops guys like Ponga going to union.

The NRL have little incentive to actually catch teams cheating, outside of at least looking like they are. Every team is doing it on some level and it stops guys like Ponga going to union.
They have an incentive to try to keep the playing field level, whether they can is another matter.

This is true though.

Do they?

They have incentives for Melbourne, Dolphins, and Goldcoast to not fold.
They have incentives to expand the competition in a way that fans of every club can feel like they're not disadvantaged. Fans will always whinge and carry on about refs being biased and other conspiratorial tedious fleabrained shit, but fans of all clubs in all sports are like that. They always will be, and you can't do much about it. If you think Broncos fans are a whiny bunch of entitled *****, try the Warriors.

They have incentives to expand the competition in a way that fans of every club can feel like they're not disadvantaged. Fans will always whinge and carry on about refs being biased and other conspiratorial tedious fleabrained shit, but fans of all clubs in all sports are like that. They always will be, and you can't do much about it. If you think Broncos fans are a whiny bunch of entitled *****, try the Warriors.
I just think that the appearance of an even comp is enough. I don’t buy into the full blown conspiracies, I just assume the NRL is poorly run and lazy and if you actually investigated all clubs and punished them accordingly it would be a constant interruption to the season.

I believe NRL keep track of any jobs for past players to make sure they're paid a similar wage to what would be expected for the role.

You may recall GI came under scrutiny after taking up a job with Souths immediately after retiring... he had mutually agreed not to take a payout for remaining years on his contract, so it looked suss that he would suddenly be employed by the club.

The NRL reviewed the arrangement to make sure he wasnt just on $600k to pull beers in the leagues club.

Another season milling between bench and injury cover isn't out of his reach, but unless he can start making effective tackles soon it's slipping away.

Typo there I fixed .

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Skathen
  • Bish
  • Accept
  • Allo
  • Behold
  • ChewThePhatt
  • bazza
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Hurrijo
  • Porthoz
  • Pablo
  • winslow_wong
  • NSW stables
  • Battler
  • Brocko
  • Wolfie
  • Sproj
  • Johnny92
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.