NEWS Adam Reynolds reveals the moment he knew his time at Souths was over

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Source: Nine WWOS
Author: By WWOS staff

Adam Reynolds has revealed the moment he knew his time was up with South Sydney and his hopes of being a one-club player were over. Reynolds will take on South Sydney this Thursday for the first time since leaving the Rabbitohs, in a much anticipated clash that was supposed to take place in round one but was nixed due to the premiership winner's COVID-19 diagnosis.

Reynolds was only offered a one-year extension to stay at Souths, instead accepting a three-year $2.4m deal to link with Brisbane. The halfback, who grew up in Redfern, has now found a home in Brisbane with the view of taking up a coaching role at Red Hill once his career has finished. While he's well and truly moved on, Reynolds told The Sydney Morning Herald, the time he was told by Souths they no longer viewed him as a long-term option is something he won't forget. "I can still remember having a chat with someone at the club, they basically tried to get me to sign a one-year deal and then find me another club for the following year," Reynolds said.

"That was the moment I knew I had to get out and look at finding some security for my family. "It was about a month before Magic Round. We were only a couple of months into the negotiations. I remember saying that that was me done. I had four young kids and my salary was about to be cut in half. We never got to a figure, but that was ballpark. I was fine with that, but I wanted two years.

"After being told they wanted to find me another club, I knew I had to go elsewhere. "I have no ill feeling towards anyone at the club, I've made some friends for life and I will forever cherish the opportunity that I had to wear the red and green."

Reynolds said Wayne Bennett played a huge role in his decision to move north after attracting some interest from Cronulla. "I didn't really know anyone or have any relationships with anybody at the Broncos, but it was mainly Wayne who talked the club up," he said.

"He had his dramas here, but he didn't have a bad word to say about the place. I have a lot of respect for Wayne, and when he says nice stuff about a place, I had to listen."

my salary was about to be cut in half. We never got to a figure, but that was ballpark. I was fine with that, but I wanted two years.

This makes Souths look even stupider than first thought.

they could have kept him for 500k, all they had to give him was a 2 year deal

But hey, I'm not complaining ... Souths stupidity is great for us

This makes Souths look even stupider than first thought.

they could have kept him for 500k, all they had to give him was a 2 year deal

But hey, I'm not complaining ... Souths stupidity is great for us
I wonder who made the decision at Souths. Sticking to their guns on a 1 year deal when he would have accepted 2 is madness. Happy about it, but man I'd be filthy if I was a Souths supporter.

Souths’ handling of the whole thing:

Dj Khaled Congratulations GIF

I wonder who made the decision at Souths. Sticking to their guns on a 1 year deal when he would have accepted 2 is madness. Happy about it, but man I'd be filthy if I was a Souths supporter.
The person who made this decision is good friends with Russell. There were conflicts with this person and WB. The club sided with the excel spread sheet guy. Proof that being good in business doesnt always mean being good at man management.

It looks like an extremely bad decision on the surface but if Elias becomes a long term halves option I think they’ll be pretty content with their choice. A clubs next 10 year halfback doesn’t just come around every 2 seasons and if he left because he’s stuck behind Reyno they may regret it for years, even if they’d be better served over the next two seasons.

I’m not going to bag South’s too loudly until o have the luxury of hindsight but I’m just happy that their loss has been our gain.

It looks like an extremely bad decision on the surface but if Elias becomes a long term halves option I think they’ll be pretty content with their choice. A clubs next 10 year halfback doesn’t just come around every 2 seasons and if he left because he’s stuck behind Reyno they may regret it for years, even if they’d be better served over the next two seasons.

I’m not going to bag South’s too loudly until o have the luxury of hindsight but I’m just happy that their loss has been our gain.
But as the Broncos have learnt the harsh lesson a number of times the last 5 or so years. Banking on potential is a very risky business. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

It seems like it was an absolute sideshow that souths couldnt give him a two year deal worth half the money he was on due to their 30+ rule yet they handed out a mega contract to Walker who is old than Reynolds.

It seems like it was an absolute sideshow that souths couldnt give him a two year deal worth half the money he was on due to their 30+ rule yet they handed out a mega contract to Walker who is old than Reynolds.
And now Walker is beginning to look fairly average without Bennett and Reynolds. He also looks frustrated and cranky all the time now. It's glorious to see.

But as the Broncos have learnt the harsh lesson a number of times the last 5 or so years. Banking on potential is a very risky business. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.
Yea but it’s a bit different when you have a spine of Cook, Walker, and Mitchell to bring him up alongside. You could argue that it prevents the headache of having Cook, Adam, and Walker all retire around the same time.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Tim K
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Jedhead
  • Mr Fourex
  • Galah
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Culhwch
  • winslow_wong
  • Foordy
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncosgirl
  • Hoof Hearted
  • RolledOates
  • Manifesto
  • leon.bott
  • Brocko
  • Xzei
  • broncsgoat
  • Organix
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.