Adelaide to host SOO match

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...0/news-story/08bcba90a7337c62c40666b539a62f0b

IN a move that has already perplexed South Australian residents, the NRL this morning announced a State of Origin match would head to Adelaide Oval in 2020.

The multimillion-dollar agreement with the South Australian government follows last year’s announcement that one of the 2019 clashes between NSW and Queensland would be played out at the new Optus Stadium in Perth.

It is unclear which of the three 2020 matches will be played in Adelaide but it is believed the NRL won’t allocate game three of the series in a bid to avoid a possible dead rubber being played out in front of an AFL-passionate state.

South Australia Tourism Minister Leon Bignell told Adelaide radio station FIVEaa the match would be a huge boost for the state.

“We expect 30 per cent of the people who go to the game will come from interstate. That’s going to pump $15 million into the economy,” he said on Wednesday.

“We’re hoping to get the middle game, which is obviously a really crucial one. That’s on a Sunday. The only problem is we’ll have to work with the AFL.”

Predictably, South Australians were less than enthused about this morning’s announcement.

While I support promotion of the game in other states, such as SOO matches in Melbourne. This shows the mindset of the admin of the ARL/NRL, I'm not so confident the game will benefit much from a SOO match in Adelaide, Perth on the other hand is screaming for an NRL team there. Another missed opportunity Brisbane a Rugby League stronghold has been denied the right of hosting a Grand Final at a perfect opportunity, so the NRL settle for a substandard facility to keep it in sydney.

While I support promotion of the game in other states, such as SOO matches in Melbourne. This shows the mindset of the admin of the ARL/NRL, I'm not so confident the game will benefit much from a SOO match in Adelaide, Perth on the other hand is screaming for an NRL team there. Another missed opportunity Brisbane a Rugby League stronghold has been denied the right of hosting a Grand Final at a perfect opportunity, so the NRL settle for a substandard facility to keep it in sydney.
There is a game in Perth next year.

I'm warming to the idea of having a home/ away/neutral match in each series. As much as I dislike the idea of less games in Brisbane, I think this is something that needs to happen for the benefit of the game.

Fair enough I didn't know Perth was getting a game in 2019. My bad.

Will not be surprised if the stadium is half empty. AFL town just like Melbourne, only difference being Melbourne has some redeeming features that interstate fans will gladly travel to stay there and make a week of it. No offence Adelaide but tourists don't want to stay in a big country town for a week.

As an Adelaide resident, I am absolutely over the moon at this news

However, even I can admit I was surprised and I don't think it's a good idea

I think a better option would be for the NRL to mandate that 1 or 2 regular round matches come to Adelaide every season and see if interest can be built

But I'm going :)

Will not be surprised if the stadium is half empty. AFL town just like Melbourne, only difference being Melbourne has some redeeming features that interstate fans will gladly travel to stay there and make a week of it. No offence Adelaide but tourists don't want to stay in a big country town for a week.

I think the biggest difference is that Victorians seem to have a sporting mentality that we don't have in Adelaide

Victorians will go and watch any sport, even if they have never heard of it, if it's played at the highest level

So they will flock to Origin despite them being AFL mad

I don't think Adelaide folks will do the same

For the stadium to be full they'll need a lot of QLD and NSW flying in

Well at least it's not NZ or Japan.

But this is still ridiculous.

Well at least it's not NZ or Japan.

But this is still ridiculous.

They should bring it to China, I'd be over the moon. I get disappointed that we only get AFL here, and the Gold Coast team at that. Pfft

NZ would be an excellent option. At least they like League.

They are devaluing the concept by moving it to places like Adelaide and Perth.

And the number of people viewing NRL games in Adelaide on TV is miniscule. There is just not demand for rugby league there.

My biggest concern with Adelaide is whether the power will be on to run the stadium lights. Better make it a day game to be sure. F#%k Adelaide and F$&k the morons running this circus.

has anyone ever heard the saying "there's **** all in blackall"?
well i couldnt find anything to rhyme with that to suit adelaide but same sentiment (no offense to the adeladians). unless your a female on a briesmaid trip to the barossa or you want to get eaten bygreat white sharks there aint much to do or see.
miserable decision from greenturd again - im guessing just a quick cash grab.
oval shaped field with no sideline action will be a poor spectacle.

Active Now

• Bish
  • Culhwch
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Fozz
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Fitzy
  • Manofoneway
  • Broncorob
  • Alec
  • Sproj
  • kman
  • Strop
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.