AUS FOOTBALL AFL Grand Final 2023 - Collingwood v Brisbane

We are going to win this one but man, we aren't doing anything unless we somehow wake up in the midfield. To be 50ish up again and to almost lose again, this is just not a good enough team.

That last quarter was ugly. Carlton were just running and scoring at will. If it was any of the top 4 sides, lions would have lost

That last quarter was ugly. Carlton were just running and scoring at will. If it was any of the top 4 sides, lions would have lost

In fairness to us, we lost two defenders mid-game, that always hurts but our midfield is soooooooooooo slow and soft.

Very excitingly though, the number 1 prospect in the draft by a country mile is Marcus Ashcroft's kid and he has nominated us for the draft, we are getting one of the best prospect of recent years coming in plus another gun father-son kid too. This will help in the next 2-3 years, both are gun midfielders.

@Sproj what's the story surrounding Buddy Franklin coming to the Lions? Just Twitter wishful thinking or?

In fairness to us, we lost two defenders mid-game, that always hurts but our midfield is soooooooooooo slow and soft.

Very excitingly though, the number 1 prospect in the draft by a country mile is Marcus Ashcroft's kid and he has nominated us for the draft, we are getting one of the best prospect of recent years coming in plus another gun father-son kid too. This will help in the next 2-3 years, both are gun midfielders.
Who is the other father-son prospect?

@Sproj what's the story surrounding Buddy Franklin coming to the Lions? Just Twitter wishful thinking or?

Short answer: Mostly wishful thinking though with some very, very loose basis.

Long answer: Buddy is coming to the end of his massive Swans contract. He is 35 and there have apparently been a breakdown in negotiations to extend him. Reportedly, they are a long way apart in what they both want. Buddy is on record as saying him and his wife want to move to Queensland. This is the very loose basis there.

The Lions coach, Chris Fagan was asked about this and he said it is news to him but if Buddy was open to it, he'd get on the phone to chat for sure but also said he thinks Buddy will retire if going to Queensland.

Now is where it gets interesting. The Lions like to play with three talls in the forward line and of those talls, Dan McStay is unsigned heading into the trade period and has been offered a massive deal with Collingwood which he has reportedly taken as it way way above what he is worth. This would free up a tall spot for Buddy.

Bear in mind though that the Lions issue is not their forward line, when the ball gets in there, they are lethal, comfortably the number 1 scoring team in the AFL, like it isn't even close. The Lions though have history with taking on old Hawthorn players and **** has a long history with Buddy.

This doesn't really make all the much sense unless he is coming very cheap which he won't be. Plus the Swans' list look just as capable, if not more so, of winning the whole thing as the Lions do.

Short answer: Mostly wishful thinking though with some very, very loose basis.

Long answer: Buddy is coming to the end of his massive Swans contract. He is 35 and there have apparently been a breakdown in negotiations to extend him. Reportedly, they are a long way apart in what they both want. Buddy is on record as saying him and his wife want to move to Queensland. This is the very loose basis there.

The Lions coach, Chris Fagan was asked about this and he said it is news to him but if Buddy was open to it, he'd get on the phone to chat for sure but also said he thinks Buddy will retire if going to Queensland.

Now is where it gets interesting. The Lions like to play with three talls in the forward line and of those talls, Dan McStay is unsigned heading into the trade period and has been offered a massive deal with Collingwood which he has reportedly taken as it way way above what he is worth. This would free up a tall spot for Buddy.

Bear in mind though that the Lions issue is not their forward line, when the ball gets in there, they are lethal, comfortably the number 1 scoring team in the AFL, like it isn't even close. The Lions though have history with taking on old Hawthorn players and **** has a long history with Buddy.

This doesn't really make all the much sense unless he is coming very cheap which he won't be. Plus the Swans' list look just as capable, if not more so, of winning the whole thing as the Lions do.
I don’t know the game of afl that well but I feel like buddy and Daniher are too similar. You’d have to pick just one. McStay gives the forward line more balance.

I don’t know the game of afl that well but I feel like buddy and Daniher are too similar. You’d have to pick just one. McStay gives the forward line more balance.

I agree. That said, Hipwood as third tall could absolutely reek havoc.

Lions are wobbling hard again. Giving up a handy lead again to a bottom 8 side. They are in shambles this season.

Lions are wobbling hard again. Giving up a handy lead again to a bottom 8 side. They are in shambles this season.

This isn't really a bottom 8 side, they were top 4 until injuries hit and they have those players back now. The fact is though, these fade out mid way through games are hugely concerning. The midfield is rubbish, Neale needs help.

And honestly, Harris Andrews has turned into absolute rubbish, that is one of our biggest concerns.

Rayner has really stepped up when it has counted here for once. We aren't getting any favours from the umps either, so having to do it the hard way. I'm much happier than in most recent games.

Well we've playing absolutely awful footy lately and yet we sit in second on the ladder with one round to go (and of course dependent on other results) but that was a good win tonight. St Kilda threw absolutely everything at us, that was a really, really good practice for finals in Melbourne.

And honestly, Harris Andrews has turned into absolute rubbish, that is one of our biggest concerns.
I’m more concerned about Gardiner. So many turnovers and always falling over. When’s Adams back? Harris Andrew’s needs a lot of help too.

I’m more concerned about Gardiner. So many turnovers and always falling over. When’s Adams back? Harris Andrew’s needs a lot of help too.

Adams is next week, he was out with concussion. Adams will definitely help and I would be playing Payne ahead of Gardner but Gardner is a favourite of Fages, so it isn't going to happen unfortunately. Rich and Zorko are starting to look like age is catching up with them too sadly.

Adams is next week, he was out with concussion. Adams will definitely help and I would be playing Payne ahead of Gardner but Gardner is a favourite of Fages, so it isn't going to happen unfortunately. Rich and Zorko are starting to look like age is catching up with them too sadly.
Some of Rich’s kicks were terrible. Lucky we have Coleman who seems to be a ready made replacement for rich in the next couple of seasons

Active Now

• heartly87
  • Culhwch
  • broncsgoat
  • MrTickyMcG
  • RolledOates
  • lynx000
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • Wolfie
  • Fozz
  • Hoof Hearted
  • GCBRONCO
  • azza.79
  • Battler
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.