Matt GillettRetired
Corey ParkerRetired
Jarrod WallaceGone
Mitchell DoddsRetired
Joe OfahengaueRemains - out of favor
Kodi NikorimaGone
Sam ThaidayRetired
Wayne BennettGone

2015 really is a year that is so fucking mind boggling to look back on. At the time, we were all touting this mob as the next Broncos dynasty in waiting, despite the result of the GF, and for a lot of 2016 they looked to be going that way. Where the **** did it all go wrong? Even the coach is gone, again lol

It's just the entire story of that '08 generation, isn't it. Nothing but failed expectations across the board, not to mention the rate of knots in which Milford and Oates have gone backwards.

Darius BoydRemains - Final season
Corey OatesRemains - out of favor
Jack ReedRetired
Justin Hodges (c)Retired
Jordan KahuRemains - Final season
Anthony MilfordRemains - out of favor
Ben HuntGone
Josh McGuireGone
Andrew McCulloughGone
Adam BlairGone
Alex GlennRemains - Final season
Matt GillettRetired
Corey ParkerRetired
Jarrod WallaceGone
Mitchell DoddsRetired
Kodi NikorimaGone
Sam ThaidayRetired
Wayne BennettGone

2015 really is a year that is so fucking mind boggling to look back on. At the time, we were all touting this mob as the next Broncos dynasty in waiting, despite the result of the GF, and for a lot of 2016 they looked to be going that way. Where the **** did it all go wrong? Even the coach is gone, again lol

It's just the entire story of that '08 generation, isn't it. Nothing but failed expectations across the board, not to mention the rate of knots in which Milford and Oates have gone backwards.
It was also the last year that our attack looked threatening. Wasnt kevie our attack coach in 2015?

There was an 18 month period there were it looked like we didn’t know how to lose. The Hanjak and Hook era were dead and this time we were finally back on top of the game. In my mind, like you said, the dynasty had returned and we would have players slowly come in and out of our system without missing a beat a la the storm.

**** knows what went wrong.

Last edited:
Darius BoydRemains - Final season
Corey OatesRemains - out of favor
Jack ReedRetired
Justin Hodges (c)Retired
Jordan KahuRemains - Final season
Anthony MilfordRemains - out of favor
Ben HuntGone
Josh McGuireGone
Andrew McCulloughGone
Adam BlairGone
Alex GlennRemains - Final season
Matt GillettRetired
Corey ParkerRetired
Jarrod WallaceGone
Mitchell DoddsRetired
Kodi NikorimaGone
Sam ThaidayRetired
Wayne BennettGone

"Where the **** did it all go wrong?"

Well, it all started after Milford's brilliant debut. For some strange reason, Bennett decided to "coach" his brilliance out. He was after all the next Lockyer so Bennett prevailed - at Milford's and the team's expense. Then, there was the club's strange recruitment strategy of not investing in a quality half back, preferring to continue the sacred Broncos tradition of playing half backs as hookers, then, we failed to contemplate a back-up hooker after, or rather before, we let Macca go. All the while keeping Boyd for reasons that have nothing to do with quality performances on field. How much quality ball does Oates get these days?

And then, the club failed to maintain the defensive brilliance of our 2015-6 sides so we have the disorganised rabble we have now.

That's a goof start.

Last edited:
The team has burned out by the finals every year since losing the GF - increasingly thrashed each year.

Not getting it done just became part of our psychology. It's still there with guys like Milford and Boyd - they can appear to be trying but they won't do everything necessary to win. Runners up mentality set in hard and wasn't coached out of them.

"Where the **** did it all go wrong?"

Well, it all started after Milford's brilliant debut. For some strange reason, Bennett decided to "coach" his brilliance out. He was after all the next Lockyer so Bennett prevailed - at Milford's and the team's expense. Then, there was the club's strange recruitment strategy of not investing in a quality half back, preferring to continue the sacred Broncos tradition of playing half backs as hookers, then, we failed to contemplate a back-up hooker after, or rather before, we let Macca go. All the while keeping Boyd for reasons that have nothing to do with quality performances on field. How much quality ball does Oates get these days?

And then, the club failed to maintain the defensive brilliance of our 2015-6 sides so we have the disorganised rabble we have now.

That's a goof start.

For some reason everything that worked in 2015 got put away from 2016. I often wonder how that 2015 loss actually effected the players and even Bennett, who up until that point, was untouchable in grand finals with the broncos. I also felt there was tension between Milford and Hunt after 2015, whether it was over their pays or blaming for the gf loss, who knows but something was off.

Then you have the loss of personnel like, Hodges, Jack reed, Walters and I think the strength and condition coach as well.. seems like all these little things kept adding up and never got addressed.

Last edited:
The team has burned out by the finals every year since losing the GF - increasingly thrashed each year.

Not getting it done just became part of our psychology. It's still there with guys like Milford and Boyd - they can appear to be trying but they won't do everything necessary to win. Runners up mentality set in hard and wasn't coached out of them.

On Boyd I thought Kent summed it up best, he is doing everything he can to avoid contact. This rushing up out of the line he does might get passed off as urgency, but he doesn't actually contact anyone. He rushes up and just hits the space. Either subconsciously or consciously he is avoiding nearly all contact and he no longer has what it takes to compete but for whatever reason will not remove himself from the situation. I have played tennis with guys like this that have had too many balls smashed into them while at the net so they position themselves in the tram tracks so that the ball can't hit them but can jump in and just miss the ball like they were doing everything to get there, just like Boyd's superman effort the other night.

2015 was just the 'honeymoon' period for Wayne returning, everybody was happy, and 'Wayne is the greatest' blah blah as the coach loosened the reins , same thing happened at Souths last year.

That GF loss was obviously pretty damaging to the group and it certainly played its part in our downward spiral.

Since then attitude clearly became a problem and steadily worsened year after year, everybody just became too 'buddy buddy' with Wayne, the bullcrap 'football is only a game' and 'everybody should get everything they can from the club' attitude set in.

It's pretty clear now that it is very hard to overcome that mentality.

We are now left with a young group who are still learning their game and just aren't ready to turn up week in week out.

Last edited:
On Boyd I thought Kent summed it up best, he is doing everything he can to avoid contact. This rushing up out of the line he does might get passed off as urgency, but he doesn't actually contact anyone. He rushes up and just hits the space. Either subconsciously or consciously he is avoiding nearly all contact and he no longer has what it takes to compete but for whatever reason will not remove himself from the situation. I have played tennis with guys like this that have had too many balls smashed into them while at the net so they position themselves in the tram tracks so that the ball can't hit them but can jump in and just miss the ball like they were doing everything to get there, just like Boyd's superman effort the other night.
It's weird but your post made me look to see who our worst tackler was the other night and from your post I thought Boyd would have terrible stats. Why I say it's weird is because he attempted 10 tackles missing just the one. Okay, that doesn't prove anything but he was nowhere near our worst. Rhys Kennedy was exceptional in a badly beaten team but Haas was the best, a fantastic 53 with just one miss. The stats don't support the notion Boyd is avoiding contact. If it were true his misses would be far greater. I'm not defending his form rather I am attempting to be balanced and sticking to the facts.

I personally don't buy that. He hits pretty hard and takes enough runs from dummy half to show that isn't the case.
I think the main problem like a lot of people as they get older, is that his reflexes are slowing and he reacts just a fraction later than he used to. Against average players he defends well because he reads the play and positions himself but against a gun centre it's a different story.
I think Oates not getting the ball has more to do with Oates. He is taking a lot more "short cuts" in the way he plays. I saw that in how he reacts to kicks. How many times has he put his body on the line?
I hope his stint in second row works but his approach in recent games doesn't fill me with confidence. I'd much rather ease into the role off the bench, where his inexperience defending can be molefied at the end of halves when players are tired and his time increased with his shown ability to handle it.
That said, we don't have a lot of 2nd row options anyway, and it's hard to see him defending worse than hopoate of late.

Active Now

• Dash
  • broncsgoat
  • Ondi
  • The Strapper
  • Dexter
  • NSW stables
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Tristan1990
  • azza.79
  • Financeguy
  • Howie
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Sproj
  • mrtij
  • ozzball
  • bert_lifts
  • johnny plath
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosarethebest
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.