OFFICIAL Albert Kelly Signs on for 2022

Albert Kelly signs on for another year, taking his deal to the end of 2022

View attachment 14793

Playmaker Albert Kelly will remain a Brisbane Bronco for another year to the end of the 2022 season.​

The 30-year-old has made a combined 171 NRL and Super League appearances since debuting in 2010 and has been impressive since making his Australian comeback with the Broncos midway through the 2021 season. He has made six appearances for Brisbane this season since returning from England where he played 118 games for Hull and then Hull Kingston Rovers between 2015 and 2020, scoring 67 tries in total in the Super League.

He played a total of 47 NRL games for Cronulla and the Titans from 2010 to 2014 before his overseas stint. On his return to Australia earlier this year, he played consistent football for Broncos Affiliate South Logan Magpies before being given another shot at the NRL with a debut for Brisbane in Round 11 against the Sydney Roosters. That night, Kelly helped orchestrate a memorable 34-16 upset at the Sydney Cricket Ground and he has been a part of the Broncos’ NRL squad ever since. He was impressive again in yesterday’s 24-22 win over the Warriors.

In choosing to remain a Bronco, Kelly joins Kotoni Staggs, Tesi Niu, Keenan Palasia, Jordan Riki, Kobe Hetherington, Jake Turpin, Tyson Gamble, David Mead, Jesse Arthars and exciting youngsters Brendan Piakura, Teui “TC” Robati, Selwyn Cobbo and Xavier Willison who have all extended with the club in recent months. They will be joined in 2022 by new signings Adam Reynolds, Kurt Capewell, Corey Jensen, Brenko Lee and Logan Bayliss.

Kelly said: “I can see the success coming at the Broncos so I wanted to stick around. I can see how hard the guys work and how talented they are. “We’ve got some good players coming in so it’s going to be a bright future. I’m very grateful to the Broncos for giving me a chance. Hopefully I can pay the club back with some success.”

Broncos Football & Performance Director Ben Ikin said: “Albert provides experience and creativity – he has been really impressive since he was given the chance midway through the year and took it with both hands. “He is also very good around the club, having seen what it takes to succeed at the top level and passing that on to the younger players in the squad.”

hands down starting 5/8 next season. Seems like its been a whilst since a contract has been earned and a good deal for both parties - the way it should be

6 weeks ago I would have said give him the starting 6 jersey next year but now there’s definitely a bit of competition between him and Gamble. I really hope this signals that Staggs will be staying in the centres.

6 weeks ago I would have said give him the starting 6 jersey next year but now there’s definitely a bit of competition between him and Gamble. I really hope this signals that Staggs will be staying in the centres.

Kevvie himself has said definitively that Staggs will be centre moving forward.

Ok with Staggs as Centre for next year - if he's got any reservations about his major injury he'll give it some time to get right before adding the additional pressure of kicking and needing to pivot off it or kick through it. My 2c only - he's obviously got a plan :)

Albert Kelly reveals what led to his NRL renaissance​

Playmaker Albert Kelly has detailed the extent of the hard work behind his NRL renaissance in 2021, shedding several kilograms to give himself the best opportunity to play good footy for the Broncos.

Speaking to the media on Tuesday, the 30-year-old revealed a strict regime based on running and diet were key factors, however “getting back to enjoying playing rugby league again” was the catalyst driving his ambition to succeed.

“I had a few injury seasons over there (in England) where I packed on a few kilos. At one stage I was about 106 kilos. I landed back here (In Brisbane) about 100 kilos,” Kelly said.

I knew the road ahead was going to be hard and how much hard work I had to put in. I found myself running down the Riverwalk every second day. I ended up stripping down to 94 (kilograms).

Albert Kelly

“It was pretty tough training by myself, but I knew what I had to do, and I put all my focus in all that hard work.

“It’s got me here today and I’m very grateful for Kevvie and the club.”

Kelly admits he still has a “few more gears” left in him having not completed a pre-season this year.

With Rabbitohs star Adam Reynolds arriving at Red Hill in 2022, Kelly may see more minutes as a running five-eighth however he doesn’t prefer a position – he just wants to be in the Broncos team playing his role.

“I find it easier if I’m in the team,” Kelly said.

If I’m in the 17 I don’t really care where I play. I just have to play my role to the best of my ability.
Albert Kelly
“If that’s six, seven or 14, I’m not fussed. If I do go back to six, it will suit my natural running game. I’ll just let ‘Reyno’ run the show and I’ll run off the back of him.

“If I come off the bench, I’ll just bring a lot of energy, run hard and tackle hard.

“I’m very excited for the future.”

The Broncos take on the Sharks at Suncorp Stadium this Saturday, with Kelly eager to take on the team who gave him his NRL debut over a decade ago.

He said the change at the club in recent weeks has been significant and his team are looking to finish the season strongly.

“There’s a massive difference (from earlier in the season),” he said.

“There’s more self-belief in players; more confidence as well as you can see on the past couple of performances.

“That’s the right direction we’re heading in and that’s where we want to stay, especially for these next two games and finish this season on a high.”

Good on him. If this attitude is genuine and continues theres going to be a great leader group for next year.

Reynolds, Gamble, Kelly, Cartigan, Haas and Flegler all have mongrel in them.

I'd put Riki in there too, I don't know, there is a real leadership vibe with him. Whenever something happens on field he is first in either to support a player getting roughed up or celebrating with a player who does something well. He is a smokey for future captain I think.

I'd put Riki in there too, I don't know, there is a real leadership vibe with him. Whenever something happens on field he is first in either to support a player getting roughed up or celebrating with a player who does something well. He is a smokey for future captain I think.
For sure! Hes still young and eager. He will settle into it especially now the forward pack has been sorted. Will give him a great chance to develop over the next 2 years without stupid pressure of being the next Tallis/TonyC/Thorn etc

Pretty sure Riki captained junior kiwis

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • Aldo
  • Manifesto
  • sooticus
  • Xzei
  • lynx000
  • broncsgoat
  • Dash
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.