NEWS Alex Glenn keen to ink contract extension with Brisbane Broncos

P

Ponga01

QCup Player
Apr 27, 2019
Joel Gould
NRL.com Reporter

Off-contract Broncos veteran Alex Glenn says he has coach Anthony Seibold in his corner as he seeks a two-year extension at the club where he made his NRL debut in 2009.

The 30-year-old, who returns to the side against the Sharks on Sunday, played his 250th Telstra Premiership game for the Broncos in the round-13 loss to the Titans but he also suffered a knee injury.

Glenn has fielded verbal interest from other clubs but wants to stay a Bronco.

He has his sights on becoming the fourth Bronco to play 300 games but he also has two young children with his partner Jemma Lee-Morgan who he has to consider.

"I would love a two-year deal here at the Broncos. I don’t want to be getting a one-year deal and be in the same boat next year and trying to keep my career going again," Glenn told NRL.com.

"Ideally I want to retire as a one-club man but at the end of the day I know it is a short career and I have got to take care of my family first. If there are contracts elsewhere out there with bigger money and longer years then I would be silly not to take it for my family, rather than just try and reach a milestone and be a one-club man.

"That milestone is not going to put a roof over my head. I have two kids and I don’t see myself and my fiancée stopping. We want another kid as well. You’ve got to put food on the table and a roof over their head so I have got to put my family’s interests first."

Glenn is one of the Broncos’ most popular players and is valued for his leadership, upstanding character and the way he engages with supporters. With experienced campaigners such as Josh McGuire, Jordan Kahu and Kodi Nikoroma exiting the club since 2018 the Broncos recognise they need players of Glenn’s ilk.

He met with Seibold recently and was heartened by the coach’s desire to keep him, a view which has been conveyed to Brisbane CEO Paul White.

"Seibs has really been battling hard to keep me and said that he wanted me to know that he is really vouching hard to keep me at this club," Glenn said.

"He’s had to make some tough decisions in order to do that, with the likes of letting players go this season. He has put in a really good word to Whitey and vouched for the importance I have for this team and the values I bring to this club. Hearing that from your new head coach is a humbling experience to be honest. I am honoured that he wants to keep

Glenn remains driven to win his first premiership with the Broncos, like the three former title-winning players he wants to join in the 300 club.

"It would be massive to get to 300 games for the Broncos. There are only three players that have done that at this club and they are Darren Lockyer, Corey Parker and Sam Thaiday," Glenn said.

"You look at what kind of players they are on and off the field and they are very well respected in the game. They have done a lot for the game and this club so it would be an absolute honour to reach that milestone and be up there with those fellas."

Make it 3 years and the captaincy

Make it 3 years and the captaincy
3 years would be too long I reckon... 2 years with him moving to the bench halfway through next year.

He provided great impact from the bench a few years back and could be a very solid versatile player from there as he heads into retirement.

I'd let him go. Been a great club man but at his age I'd move him on

I'd let him go. Been a great club man but at his age I'd move him on
He is the same age as Gillett so you would move him on too? If Glenn isn’t one of the best players in this team then who is?

Last edited:
Gillett would be my captain. In my view a different level player to Glenn. Glenn I feel won't be as good value over next two years as the last two.

Gillett would be my captain. In my view a different level player to Glenn. Glenn I feel won't be as good value over next two years as the last two.
I see your point and agree that Gillett is a different level of a player but I think Glenn sets a great example by trying his best every week that is what you need as a captain. As long as Glenn is on little money I am happy to keep him around. But the problem is finding a spot from him, he is not going to take Gillett’s spot and I don’t think Fifita will be happy to keep coming off the bench. I guess we will just have to wait and see

I see your point and agree that Gillett is a different level of a player but I think Glenn sets a great example by trying his best every week that is what you need as a captain. As long as Glenn is on little money I am happy to keep him around. But the problem is finding a spot from him, he is not going to take Gillett’s spot and I don’t think Fifita will be happy to keep coming off the bench. I guess we will just have to wait and see
Don't disagree at all. Could go either way
[automerge]1562324417[/automerge]
I Don't disagree at all with that. Could go either way. Him staying is far from the end of the world. Parker got better at that age but that's the exception rather than the rule

Last edited:
The point is how much he’s worth.......
He’s a decent player and really committed to this game, but to me his best position which might benefit the team most is still forward utility, play from the bench, always able to step in whenever needed.

Glenn is likely to be named captain sooner than most think I believe. Perhaps there are many who don't think he'll be named as captain but I think he's a likely

People keep saying that. Last year it was going to be Sua and Fifita and many were saying we might as well have let Glenn go to the Titans when they were interested. Lexie just keeps proving people wrong.

Great player, fantastic attitude and a positive influence around the place. Letting him leave over a 2 year deal would be the most stupid decision we have made this year, and we have made plenty of those.
[automerge]1562362733[/automerge]
Except Glenn isn't a cat

You cant really compare Boyd to Glenn in a lot of ways because Glenn is physically in better shape than Boyd. He hasnt had the injury problems Darius has and has had over the last couple of years. While Boyd bodys seems to be failing ( and i believe thats where his issues lie ), Lexie's isnt.

Last edited:
Agree that Glenn should be given a 2 year deal worth anywhere between 300k-400k and made captain alongside Lodge.

Next year I would say, both to start until halfway through season and from then on, Lodge to start and Glenn to come off the bench to provide impact until he finishes the 2 year contract. That way I reckon we always have both/one of them through out the games who gives 100% and inspires the rest of the squad.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Galah
  • Johnny92
  • BroncoFan94
  • Mustafur
  • Foordy
  • Culhwch
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • Matheos
  • Bish
  • bb_gun
  • BruiserMk1
  • Organix
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jazza
  • GCBRONCO
  • Wolfie
  • Financeguy
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.