NEWS Alex Glenn keen to ink contract extension with Brisbane Broncos

Agree that Glenn should be given a 2 year deal worth anywhere between 300k-400k and made captain alongside Lodge.

Next year I would say, both to start until halfway through season and from then on, Lodge to start and Glenn to come off the bench to provide impact until he finishes the 2 year contract. That way I reckon we always have both/one of them through out the games who gives 100% and inspires the rest of the squad.
Problem is he said he wants a bigger final deal and has started he will go to look after his family. I don't think he'll accept 300-400K Fair enough too.

You would think he would be another bronco given a job when he retires around the club somewhere.

Definitely deserves a 2 year deal.

In regards to the captaincy, how could we possibly give it to Glen? Currently he is a great fit and if we made him captain tomorrow I would be fairly happy. But beyond this year I don't think it's a good option. If one of our young blokes is demanding selection next year in Glenn's spot what do we do? We are left in a similar position to this year with Boyd. We can't move Glenn from his starting postion because he is Captain. We need to stop making decisions that restrict out ability to improve as a team.

The captaincy needs to go to someone experienced, plays 80mins or there abouts and is projected to maintain their position in the side for the forseeable futute. Currently I don't think we have anyone like that, what should be our best two options in Boyd and Macca are in desperate need of being dropped or retiring.

For mine Dearden seems like he will make a good captain one day, he is just too young currently. Seibs has a tough decision to make.

clicked on the thread expecting the news that the contract has been signed in the away dressing room..??

....whats the hold up........get his damn signature...

I thought Glenn was one of our best tonight and showed good leadership. I would be happy to keep him around if the price is right.

Definitely deserves a 2 year deal.

In regards to the captaincy, how could we possibly give it to Glen? Currently he is a great fit and if we made him captain tomorrow I would be fairly happy. But beyond this year I don't think it's a good option. If one of our young blokes is demanding selection next year in Glenn's spot what do we do? We are left in a similar position to this year with Boyd. We can't move Glenn from his starting postion because he is Captain. We need to stop making decisions that restrict out ability to improve as a team.

The captaincy needs to go to someone experienced, plays 80mins or there abouts and is projected to maintain their position in the side for the forseeable futute. Currently I don't think we have anyone like that, what should be our best two options in Boyd and Macca are in desperate need of being dropped or retiring.

For mine Dearden seems like he will make a good captain one day, he is just too young currently. Seibs has a tough decision to make.
There's no decision to make for Seibold, he has a captain that the players respect and like. If Boyd keeps playing like yesterday then that will be that for the next two years. Boyd may well lead us to a premiership. On the other hand if he goes poorly a decision will have to be made. Boyd's probably still got what it takes and yesterday was excellent with his good solid game and leadership. He might have turned a corner, you never know.

There's no decision to make for Seibold, he has a captain that the players respect and like. If Boyd keeps playing like yesterday then that will be that for the next two years. Boyd may well lead us to a premiership. On the other hand if he goes poorly a decision will have to be made. Boyd's probably still got what it takes and yesterday was excellent with his good solid game and leadership. He might have turned a corner, you never know.
Always thought Boyd was going to have a real go yesterday and he did what he had to for the young fellas. Macca lifted as well. Made that break and slipped a pass to Boyd and kicked ok. The situation demanded that and they responded accordingly. Dugan would have had nightmares all night seeing Glenn rag dolling him all over the park. All in all the ‘old boys' get a tick from me.

I'm really not looking to lay the boot into the bloke because there's more than enough of that going on already but honestly, whilst he had a much better game yesterday, it still wasn't amazing or anything in the same ballpark as amazing.

In the modern game it isn't really good enough to just have a 'solid' or 'reliable' player in such a key position. Every week we play a side who's biggest attacking threat is usually their Fullback. Kickers in the NRL work overtime to find the corners and isolate the Wingers and keep the ball away from the Fullback, but not when they play us. When they play us it's Boyd they want to isolate because he's easily the weak link on our kick returns. It's also no accident that players are dummying and running to take him on in defence consistently now because I'm sure the opposition Coaches recognise that if you can get to run at Boyd 1 on 1 he's a huge chance to make an ineffective tackle or even make no attempt at all.

Sorry but I just don't see us being competitive until we can find a genuinely dangerous Fullback. Interestingly we now have a vacancy at Centre after yesterday, so maybe it's time for Boyd to make the shift to a position where being safe and reliable would be more acceptable than it is at Fullback.

Last edited:
He is the same age as Gillett so you would move him on too? If Glenn isn’t one of the best players in this team then who is?
I'd rather Glenn over Gillett. On field performance of the two has been similar, i'd argue Glenn being the better of the two this season, and Glenn definitely seems to provide more leadership for the players. Add the fact he would be on $200-$300k less, no brainer.

A few good games each year is not good enough at this level Huge, especially from your Captain and most decorated player.

If in fact he did maintain his form from last night than a decision to retain him would be acceptable. Unfortunately he has already proven that he is unable to maintain it. He has probably bought himself leeway until the end of the season in the coaches eye. I definitely don't agree with it but it will likely happen.

Keeps playing like yesterday? His first half was good by Boyd standards, but also nothing super exceptional. Second Half he went completely missing when we needed a leader.

I didn’t think I’d say it but Lodge looked like the leader out there today.
Indeed.
Said it sometime ago 'He’s our captain in waiting'.
Burred up when Coates was flattened, just what the young blokes need. Hodges and Tallis were the same. No coincidence we went to another level after he reacted to the knee. For those who don’t like that idea you might find you need to accept it sooner then later.

Indeed.
Said it sometime ago 'He’s our captain in waiting'.
Burred up when Coates was flattened, just what the young blokes need. Hodges and Tallis were the same. No coincidence we went to another level after he reacted to the knee. For those who don’t like that idea you might find you need to accept it sooner then later.

I doubt the club will do it. Nightmare from a PR standpoint

Last edited:

Active Now

• Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.