NEWS Alex Glenn reveals worry over possible one-year Broncos contract

So he would absolutely qualify according to that. Who could he play?

Actually, make it against Smith. Smith won’t say no to more money and if Smith agrees, so does the NRL.
It would need to be against either the Cowboys or the Titans. I'd much prefer the cash to stay in Qld. The Titan's area is where Lexie currently lives so I think I'd be leaning towards the Titans. However, the Cows do bring the people from all over Qld for the weekend, so they might be better for the overall economy for Brisbane.

Or better still let Lexie pick a joint team from the Cows and Titans to play the Broncos and let him also pick two 'guest' players to play for his Bronco side.

So if we apply the Badel logic here

"Broncos stars declare Fifita shouldn't be re-signed"

On a serious note, give Glenn two years. He's worth every fucking cent of 250-300k. He's been our most consistent performer over 10 years, dead set. Can anyone name a player who has been as reliable as him over his career with us during the last 10 years?
Not arguing your point, but answering your question.

Notwithstanding injury; Gillett, McGuire and even McCullough.

They’re all in the same mould in that not much separates their best and worst games, which is the very definition of consistent.

You could, however, certainly argue who provides the most on a consistent basis, which would then exclude McCullough.

Last edited:
can understand Lexis POV here, and the bloke has earned the right to put it back onto the club to keep him given his clean record, great service and positive influence on our young forwards.

Over to you Broncs...

So he would absolutely qualify according to that. Who could he play?

Actually, make it against Smith. Smith won’t say no to more money and if Smith agrees, so does the NRL.
Maybe the warriors??

Played tests for the kiwis and Brisbane has a big NZ population.

Kearney his coach at test level and assistant at Broncos.. maybe they could line up a NZ player as well (although I'm not sure they have any 10yr players at the moment)... Adam Blair springs to mind (minus the 10 years) or maybe Vatuvei, just retired but I'm guessing he played 10 years. Not currently under contract, but definitely a good character on and off the field.

Last edited:
We'd be stupid to let Glenn walk away. You can tell he is a valued member of the team, well respected and the young boys look up to him.

We need his experience also. Re-sign him for $300k and let's move on.

Not arguing your point, but answering your question.

Notwithstanding injury; Gillett, McGuire and even McCullough.

They’re all in the same mould in that not much separates their best and worst games, which is the very definition of consistent.

You could, however, certainly argue who provides the most on a consistent basis, which would then exclude McCullough.
I'd give you Gillett and McGuire but then they've pretty much always been at like double Glenn's price. Value for money makes him a must keep. He may not make the top 13 but no way he's not at least in the 17. Injuries happen, there'll always be a spot for him in the next two years.

Macca?

*runs away*

I agree with you, and In reality Glenn does still provide value to the team. However With the emergence of Fifi on that left edge and Gillett/TPJ on the right, his value now lies in his leadership on/off the field and a fill in / bench position, almost the same way the rooster have used Mitch Aubusson.

In a full strength side where do you put him?

There is also very few players left that qualify for the long service cap discount and he would be one of them??
As long as Shiba can make our bench, Glenn will always have a spot in our team. To answer seriously, the bench and in the NRL with injuries and rep duty, he'll never be far from the starting side.

lol Alex Glenn isn't getting a testimonial. That's just drunk talk.

Maybe the warriors??

Played tests for the kiwis and Brisbane has a big NZ population.

Kearney his coach at test level and assistant at Broncos.. maybe they could line up a NZ player as well (although I'm not sure they have any 10yr players at the moment)... Adam Blair springs to mind (minus the 10 years) or maybe Vatuvei, just retired but I'm guessing he played 10 years. Not currently under contract, but definitely a good character on and off the field.

So Glenn vs Smith at the Warriors homeground. Make it happen NRL.

I think he was talking more about potentially having to up and move, to some as-yet unkown place, after a year. He says "my other half (Jemma), she is stressing out. “My partner doesn’t know where we are going and we have young kids, so we need to be able to prepare for things."

Stressful when your household income after tax is in the 300k plus range

I've never been anywhere close to being rich, but I honestly think uncertainty could still be pretty stressful even with money like that. Money doesn't magically fix all of life's problems.
Especially when your career will be over in a few years with no expectations that you'll be on anywhere near the same money as your current pay.

I would like to keep Glenn but if I was him i would look for a two year final pay day somewhere else. RL careers are limited, take a toll on the body and don't really provide a fall back option for most players. Glenn deserves to take a final pay day.

Our remaining cap problems stem from not getting value out of Bird (Injury), Gillett (Injury) Boyd (Form), McCullough (Form and Injury). I think we now have younger players to step in for all four of these players and/or we can go to market for cheaper effective replacements. I would bite the bullet and move on as many of these 4 as possible. If we could move at least 3 of these players on (even if we pay a bit of freight) I think we further improve our cap and roster. Some will say that moving on Gillett is harsh and it probably is. He would be fourth in this list to move on and given his service it should only be done if he could get a good deal in England or something else beneficial. I have a feeling he may retire in the next 12 months and I think he should if his body continues to be a problem. It would be nice if there was a way to pay someone like Gillett after retirement without it coming out of the cap. Gillett has well and truly earned his current contract so moving him on should only be done if mutually beneficial.

If we keep these four then I think its inevitable we lose at least one or two of Glenn Flegler, Carrigan, Farnworth, Perese, Oates.

The club has done a good job moving on McGuire, Nikorima, Su'A Kahu and Roberts. I don't think we have missed any of these players so far and our cap is in better shape . I also think the Segeyaro, Rhys Kennedy, Arthurs and Kennar signings represented good value. We need more and similar squad replacements for players we are likely to move on such as Fai, Fensom, Mago,Tagataese etc.

anyone else starting to think Arthurs signature is insurance in case we do indeed need to move on form Oates...?

Last edited:
As much as Glenn is a good player for the team to have, he will be on the bench Next Year as a backup Centre/Second Rower.

Unless we manage to offload Bird he isn't going to make much sense for our team, outside of Injury Backup, unless he is happy as a Bench Backrower.

Last edited:
It would need to be against either the Cowboys or the Titans. I'd much prefer the cash to stay in Qld. The Titan's area is where Lexie currently lives so I think I'd be leaning towards the Titans. However, the Cows do bring the people from all over Qld for the weekend, so they might be better for the overall economy for Brisbane.

Or better still let Lexie pick a joint team from the Cows and Titans to play the Broncos and let him also pick two 'guest' players to play for his Bronco side.
Make it a Matt Scott testimonial as well and his last game if he is able to play.

If Lexi's focus is setting up his family for life after footy, then he should look to the ESL where he will likely get a longer contract and thus more money

If he wants a premiership, take a chance and stay at the Broncos

It's up to his focus and I won't judge him either way

Active Now

• Jazza
  • Waynesaurus
  • Foordy
  • bb_gun
  • I bleed Maroon
  • broncsgoat
  • Harry Sack
  • Mustafur
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Organix
  • Aldo
  • Dash
  • Morkel
  • westy316
  • BroncoFan94
  • Browny
  • theshed
  • Redux
  • Financeguy
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.