NEWS Alex Glenn reveals worry over possible one-year Broncos contract

What is Paix favoured Position?

What is Paix favoured Position?
THE battle for the Broncos’ No.9 jumper is about to heat up. Andrew McCullough, James Segeyaro and Jake Turpinare Brisbane’s three hookers this season but there is a fourth contender looming on the horizon in young gun Cory Paix. The Cooper Cronk-lookalike has been a teenage star in the halfback position and he has worn the No.7 jumper for Redcliffe this season. But the Broncos will convert him into a hooker at NRL level and believe he has the type of speed that makes Souths’ Damien Cook so lethal.

Can you still do these back ended deals these days? I honestly thought they pulled the plug on them. Could be just me though, might of imagined it!

They definitely mentioned a ban but from memory the specifics were quite vague. “Heavily back ended contracts” was the wording. What constitutes as “heavily back ended” and what is reasonable is not entirely clear from memory.

I thought there was an article where Paix was saying he sees his time at hooker as a bonus to add to his game rather than being a concerted effort from him to become a hooker.

There was talk of Broncos hierarchy looking to make him a hooker, but now that Turps has arrived on the scene and Milf is at fullback could they be wanting to look at a Paix / Dearden halves combo in the future??

If we view Paix as a 9 then I get the feeling that Seibold sees Turps as a permanent feature in the halves.
I doubt it ... He has been playing halves out of necessity ... In the long run, it will help his game at hooker.

Siebs coached Cook so its easy to imagine hed be happy to find another like-minded 9 with similar skill sets; fact is every club is trying to find another Damien Cook cause his skills suit the modern game so well..

Paix might well gets his chance next year from the bench as replacement hooker. Another nail in Seggys coffin too...

T
Siebs coached Cook so its easy to imagine hed be happy to find another like-minded 9 with similar skill sets; fact is every club is trying to find another Damien Cook cause his skills suit the modern game so well..

Paix might well gets his chance next year from the bench as replacement hooker. Another nail in Seggys coffin too...
They were already thinking paix at 9 before seibold was even in our plans, but I'm sure he wants to be a 7.

That would make absolutely no sense long term. Paix is way more of a half than Turpin is and Turpin is straight up a hooker, not a half.

I thoroughly agree with you. I just thought I had read a couple of times that the club wants to make Paix a 9. Also, Seibs seems fairly persistent with keeping Turps in the halves which concerns me. Personally I'm hoping Paix ends up nabbing the 6 jumper.
[automerge]1567743643[/automerge]
I doubt it ... He has been playing halves out of necessity ... In the long run, it will help his game at hooker.

I hope your right mate.

Last edited:
I thoroughly agree with you. I just thought I had read a couple of times that the club wants to make Paix a 9. Also, Seibs seems fairly persistent with keeping Turps in the halves which concerns me. Personally I'm hoping Paix ends up nabbing the 6 jumper.

relax ... Turps is exactly the type of hooker Seibs likes. not to mention he is a big Dearden fan, and Dearden will be back at halfback in round 1 next year.

this time at halves will benefit Turps in the long run as well.

relax ... Turps is exactly the type of hooker Seibs likes. not to mention he is a big Dearden fan, and Dearden will be back at halfback in round 1 next year.

this time at halves will benefit Turps in the long run as well.

A spine of Milf, Paix, Dearden and Turpin playing as a cohesive unit would have some real attacking potential.

A spine of Milf, Paix, Dearden and Turpin playing as a cohesive unit would have some real attacking potential.
Provided they get a full pre-season to work together and they all manage to stay on the field for the full season.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Brocko
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Organix
  • Mr Fourex
  • Battler
  • Browny
  • Tim K
  • Nerd
  • Allo
  • Wolfie
  • Galah
  • Rambstien
  • winslow_wong
  • Aldo
  • broncos4life
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • KateBroncos1812
  • broncsgoat
  • BroncosAlways
... and 30 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.