Badel Warning Alex Glenn weighs up future as Broncos re-sign young guns

McHunt

NRL Player
Sunshine Coast
TL;DR: Glenn likely to leave for a bigger paycheck than Broncos can afford.

Alex Glenn weighs up future as Broncos re-sign young guns

Peter Badel,
The Courier-Mail
10 minutes ago

Alex Glenn concedes Brisbane are running out of money under the salary cap, with the off-contract veteran facing the prospect of a pay cut to finish his career at the Broncos. The Courier-Mail can reveal Broncos recruitment-and-retention chiefs met with Glenn’s management last week outlining their desire for the 31-year-old to remain at Red Hill until the end of 2021. But whether Glenn stays loyal hinges on Brisbane’s formal offer at a time when the former Kiwi Test utility stands to secure more lucrative deals at rival NRL clubs.

Alex Glenn is unsure where his NRL future will be. Picture: Darren England

Alex Glenn is unsure where his NRL future will be. Picture: Darren England

Brisbane’s recent signing of Jake Turpin, Matt Lodge and Tevita Pangai Jr, and their impending retention of Origin winger Corey Oates, leaves Glenn as the last marquee Bronco without a contract for next season. Glenn is hopeful of inking one final deal with Brisbane, but accepts his current $400,000-a-season salary at Red Hill could be slashed as the Broncos battle salary cap pressures. “I’m not stupid mate, I know with all these signings the money will be drying up,” he told The Courier-Mail. “I had a meeting with the Broncos last week with my manager and they gave me a rundown on what they want to do with me for the next couple of years.

Glenn may need to take a pay cut to stay with Brisbane. Picture: Bradley Kanaris

Glenn may need to take a pay cut to stay with Brisbane. Picture: Bradley Kanaris

“It’s nice to know the Broncos want to keep me here and the value I bring to this team, which is great to hear. It’s good to know the club is respecting me and wants to keep me here for a few more years. “It’s very promising, but until something is on the table, it’s all talk. “I just have to make the best decision for my football and my family and once the contracts are on the table, that’s when I will do it. “At the moment, there’s nothing on the table from the Broncos.” Glenn has enjoyed a remarkable career at Red Hill. He was set to become the sixth most-capped player in Brisbane history with his 256th NRL game on Thursday against the Cowboys, only to be ruled out on Wednesday with a knee injury.

Corey Oates is on the verge of re-signing with Brisbane. Picture: Bradley Kanaris

Corey Oates is on the verge of re-signing with Brisbane. Picture: Bradley Kanaris

Currently equal with Andrew Gee, Glenn needs just four more games to surpass champion Broncos halfback Allan Langer (258), but he admits there are other temptations. The Titans have expressed interest in Glenn, who regards the Gold Coast as his second home after moving to the glitter strip from New Zealand with his family as a teenager.

“It’s great to know you are wanted at clubs,” Glenn said. “The Titans are keen on me but they have a lot of stuff going on at their club with sorting out a new coach. “I haven’t received an offer from the Titans as yet either, so it’s all talk at the moment. “The Gold Coast is my home away from New Zealand. “I moved to Burleigh when I was young and I have lived on the Gold Coast since moving to Australia 16 years ago. “Gold Coast is close to my heart. If I was to leave the Broncos, the Titans would be a real option because my family is down there. “But the Broncos are the club that I love, they gave me my first opportunity and my preference is to get something sorted here. “I believe I can bring something to this younger squad coming through and carry on the legacy, but I have to take care of my family first.”

Broncos coach Anthony Seibold is hopeful Glenn is not lost to the club. “We’d like to keep him no doubt about that,” he said. “We’ve been in discussions with Alex and been able to express what we can offer him and so on. “We want to retain Alex because he has a lot of experience and he’s been in the game a long time, so he can help our young lions in the forwards.”

Last edited:

Strop

QCup Player
Come on, Boyd. Do the right thing and hang up the boots so we can keep a real contributor at the club. Sign on as the Broncos Mental Health Officer and remain an important part of the club that way.

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Brisvegas
Come on, Boyd. Do the right thing and hang up the boots so we can keep a real contributor at the club. Sign on as the Broncos Mental Health Officer and remain an important part of the club that way.
I would be very surprised if this didn't happen next year

Old Mate

NRL Player
Good thing we’ve got so many other goofballs on big long contracts who play like shit so guys like Glenn can miss out.

Xzei

NYC Player
If I owned a boat shop I'd give him one complete with brown paper flotation bags.

Maddy1to9

QCup Player
Glenn is so integral on our left side. Hope we offer him a good deal and he stay puts. Simultaneously, hope that 2 among Boyd, MaCca, Gillett & Bird moves on next year just for the development of team in the upward direction. If Gillett and Bird are healthy and committed 100% throughout the season next year, we will have the best defense & attack on our right side. I absolutely love it. I simply cannot say the same about the other 2. They can retire and be part of the club somehow somewhere but not in 1-30.
We simply carrying too much dead weight if we keep all of 4 next season with no performance on field or sitting sideline due to injury. Cutting loose now would be the smart thing to do.

Old Mate

NRL Player
Glenn is so integral on our left side. Hope we offer him a good deal and he stay puts. Simultaneously, hope that 2 among Boyd, MaCca, Gillett & Bird moves on next year just for the development of team in the upward direction. If Gillett and Bird are healthy and committed 100% throughout the season next year, we will have the best defense & attack on our right side. I absolutely love it. I simply cannot say the same about the other 2. They can retire and be part of the club somehow somewhere but not in 1-30.
We simply carrying too much dead weight if we keep all of 4 next season with no performance on field or sitting sideline due to injury. Cutting loose now would be the smart thing to do.
Bird is back to playing on the left. Staggs doesn’t get moved for him.

Stu_9

QCup Player
All for re-signing Glenn, however the club will be in a tough position with retaining all the young talent coming through - something is going to have to give.

Ideally (my opinion of course) we would:
- Let Macca go elsewhere, ie Bulldogs
- See if Boyd would take a position within the Broncos organisation
- Re-sign Glenn
- Re-sign Fifi PRIOR to Nov 1, 2019
- Explore the avenue of who would take Isaako
- Sounds as if we are in the box seat to retain Oates, but I'm not entirely convinced he is worth 500k p/yr. He is good when he is on, but again, better consistency is needed from the big boy
- Not re-sign Taga and Fensom

If push comes to shove, I would be ok to let Glenn take up more $ elsewhere (ie Tits,) if it means we can re-sign Fifi.

Last edited:

The Strapper

QCup Player
Glenn should be eligible for the long service discount + they could give him some of the marquee player allowance (100k for up to 3 players I think) and back end his contract for 2021 when surely Boyd and/or McCullough won’t be there.
With all that surely they could put a reasonable deal together.

Jedhead

NRL Player
All our problems would be solved if our CAPTAIN showed some leadership and called it a day. It seems the only one that does not know that he is well passed his use by date is the man himself.

I know he's mainly there to nurture the young superstars coming through, but if we have to keep paying him for the mince he's producing there will be no superstars coming through as the likes of the Storm and the Roosters will cherry pick them at their lesuire.

If we do not get our salary cap and retention policies sorted out post haste we'll quickly become the largest 'feeder' club for the rest of the comp.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter