NEWS Alex Glenn weighs up future as Broncos re-sign young guns

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
TL;DR: Glenn likely to leave for a bigger paycheck than Broncos can afford.

Alex Glenn weighs up future as Broncos re-sign young guns

Last edited by a moderator:
Come on, Boyd. Do the right thing and hang up the boots so we can keep a real contributor at the club. Sign on as the Broncos Mental Health Officer and remain an important part of the club that way.

Come on, Boyd. Do the right thing and hang up the boots so we can keep a real contributor at the club. Sign on as the Broncos Mental Health Officer and remain an important part of the club that way.
I would be very surprised if this didn't happen next year

Good thing we’ve got so many other goofballs on big long contracts who play like shit so guys like Glenn can miss out.

If I owned a boat shop I'd give him one complete with brown paper flotation bags.

Glenn is so integral on our left side. Hope we offer him a good deal and he stay puts. Simultaneously, hope that 2 among Boyd, MaCca, Gillett & Bird moves on next year just for the development of team in the upward direction. If Gillett and Bird are healthy and committed 100% throughout the season next year, we will have the best defense & attack on our right side. I absolutely love it. I simply cannot say the same about the other 2. They can retire and be part of the club somehow somewhere but not in 1-30.
We simply carrying too much dead weight if we keep all of 4 next season with no performance on field or sitting sideline due to injury. Cutting loose now would be the smart thing to do.

Glenn is so integral on our left side. Hope we offer him a good deal and he stay puts. Simultaneously, hope that 2 among Boyd, MaCca, Gillett & Bird moves on next year just for the development of team in the upward direction. If Gillett and Bird are healthy and committed 100% throughout the season next year, we will have the best defense & attack on our right side. I absolutely love it. I simply cannot say the same about the other 2. They can retire and be part of the club somehow somewhere but not in 1-30.
We simply carrying too much dead weight if we keep all of 4 next season with no performance on field or sitting sideline due to injury. Cutting loose now would be the smart thing to do.
Bird is back to playing on the left. Staggs doesn’t get moved for him.

All for re-signing Glenn, however the club will be in a tough position with retaining all the young talent coming through - something is going to have to give.

Ideally (my opinion of course) we would:
- Let Macca go elsewhere, ie Bulldogs
- See if Boyd would take a position within the Broncos organisation
- Re-sign Glenn
- Re-sign Fifi PRIOR to Nov 1, 2019
- Explore the avenue of who would take Isaako
- Sounds as if we are in the box seat to retain Oates, but I'm not entirely convinced he is worth 500k p/yr. He is good when he is on, but again, better consistency is needed from the big boy
- Not re-sign Taga and Fensom

If push comes to shove, I would be ok to let Glenn take up more $ elsewhere (ie Tits,) if it means we can re-sign Fifi.

Last edited:
Glenn should be eligible for the long service discount + they could give him some of the marquee player allowance (100k for up to 3 players I think) and back end his contract for 2021 when surely Boyd and/or McCullough won’t be there.
With all that surely they could put a reasonable deal together.

All our problems would be solved if our CAPTAIN showed some leadership and called it a day. It seems the only one that does not know that he is well passed his use by date is the man himself.

I know he's mainly there to nurture the young superstars coming through, but if we have to keep paying him for the mince he's producing there will be no superstars coming through as the likes of the Storm and the Roosters will cherry pick them at their lesuire.

If we do not get our salary cap and retention policies sorted out post haste we'll quickly become the largest 'feeder' club for the rest of the comp.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.