Alex Glenn's no misfit for Broncos

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
BRONCOS utility Alex Glenn fondly remembers what it was like to run around the streets of Auckland with his “misfit” crew of cousins and siblings.

At the age of five, Glenn moved into his grandparents’ four-bedroom house with his mum and his two younger siblings.

Already living there were three other families from his mum’s side — she was one of nine. And in a way, Glenn became one of nine too.

In that little Auckland home, Glenn and his siblings would run amok day after day with six of their cousins.

Together, they were known as “The Misfits”.

“We always got up to mischief,” Glenn, who is “Misfit Four”, said.

“We were just being kids and running around the streets. We did everything together.

“Misfit One was the oldest and Nine was the youngest (his sister, Davina). I am the fourth.

“We had this tight-knit bond that was so unbreakable. We all lived under the same roof. Family was a massive thing growing up ... family is everything.”

And it is actually these cherished memories from his childhood that saw Glenn re-sign with the Broncos earlier this year.

The proud Kiwi feared he would have to leave the club because of the number of players off-contract and was considering a move to Sydney.

But the Broncos came in with a strong two-year deal for Glenn which allowed him, his fiancee Jemma, his 18-month-old son Miller and five-month-old daughter Gisele, to stay in Brisbane.

With so much of the couple’s family based in Queensland, Glenn did not want to take his children away from their loved ones.

Instead, he wanted to give them every opportunity to enjoy the same relationships that he had growing up.

“Signing that contract, it was definitely a relief to know we would be here for a couple more years and the kids would grow up around their family,” he said.

“The way I want them to grow up is being close to their cousins.

“I see the bond I have with my cousins and I don’t think a lot of kids have it these days. It’s so different now.

“I want my kids to have that same respect for each other and have that loving family vibe.”

Glenn will now spend the rest of this season and the next two years doing everything he can to show the Broncos he is grateful for their faith, but to also repay his family for their support.

He knew he wanted to spend the rest of his life with Jemma the moment he saw her ditch her Australian roots to support him and the New Zealand team in the 2013 World Cup.

And that continued encouragement is what helps him get through every day.

“When times are tough or injuries are taking a toll and that stress factor kicks in, she is there to cheer me up and give me the motivation to keep doing what I am doing,” he said.

“As people we tend to want more and more from life, but what makes me happy is right in front of me. When I come home and can be in a grumpy mood, I see their smiles and hear their laughter and it brings me right back to earth.

“My family makes me happy and makes me want to push myself to be a better person and footy player. I just want to do the best by them.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...t/news-story/aca60088532276b814055f10f1420071

Unread

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • Dash
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Jedhead
  • Lurker
  • Pablo
  • Culhwch
  • Gaz
  • Browny
  • Harry Sack
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • sooticus
  • Manofoneway
  • TimWhatley
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Dreaglor
  • theshed
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.