Alex McKinnon

Who should he be able to sue? (successfully)

• Jordan Mclean

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Melbourne Storm

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Newcastle Knights

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NRL

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • No one

Votes: 15 68.2%

• Total voters
Morepudding

Morepudding

NRL Captain
Dec 16, 2015
What are everyone's thoughts on the Alex McKinnon debacle?

To me it seems absolutely ludicrous. I am sure that when signing an NRL contract the terms are clear and explicit in what the insurance payouts are, and what they consist of. The bloke has been dealt a rough hand in regards to his injury, but he has been treated exceptionally well by the NRL and all those involved by being given huge fund raising support (reportedly around $1.2 million), the maximum insurance payout ($500k), the last two years of his contract (Around $500k reported) AND a guaranteed job for life!

For him to now claim he will take legal action against not only the NRL, but Jordan Mclean directly, I now have nothing but disrespect for him.

The tackle was a blatent accident with no malice what so ever, and if you look at the tape, if it wasn't for the fact that Mckinnon ducked into it, he probably would have escaped with, at worst, a broken nose.

I'm of the belief that if he does file a formal law suit against either the NRL, a club, whether that be the Knights or the Storm, or Jordan Mclean that he should lose the job that the Knights / the NRL have so graciously given him.

It is an absolute mockery of the game. If he was king hit or an action of malice or violence took place, that is one thing. But this is what you sign up for in a contact sport, If he wasn't fully aware of the insurance payouts and the possible injuries associated with a contact sport, he is probably better of suing his lawyer and/or manager.

If he isn't being paid out the way he should be he should take the NRL to court. Suing McLean and Storm is out of line as it was a horrible accident with no malice at all.

If he isn't being paid out the way he should be he should take the NRL to court. Suing McLean and Storm is out of line as it was a horrible accident with no malice at all.

he received 500k payout from insurance
a job for life
+ well over a million dollars as part of the fundraising efforts

I don't have a massive issue if he wants to sue the NRL for a bit extra, but there's no way he should be targeting McLean or the Storm.

Could the NRL introduce a Alex McKinnon round and all proceeds go to him???

He was paid out the way he should have. He received the maximum possible insurance payout. All players would be well aware of this payout fee as it would be a part of their contract and agreement with the NRL

I don't have a massive issue if he wants to sue the NRL for a bit extra, but there's no way he should be targeting McLean or the Storm.

Even suing the NRL seems a bit ridiculous to me. Obviously it is unfortunate, but he did sign a contract, and the NRL terms clearly state the maximum insurance payout is $500,000. If the terms said the maximum was $20,000,000 and he only got $500,000 then sure, but it doesn't. He fairly got the maximum amount.

I hope the judge laughs in his face and says 'Lol, shouldn't have ducked your head' and throws the case out.

Could the NRL introduce a Alex McKinnon round and all proceeds go to him???
I would be against it. Why should he be so special? Why not a Jharal Yow Yeh round? He has already been looked after. An Alex McKinnon round would get none of my money.

I would be against it. Why should he be so special? Why not a Jharal Yow Yeh round? He has already been looked after. An Alex McKinnon round would get none of my money.

True, maybe instead a round for all those that had to retire due to career ending injury. Maybe some type of fund

True, maybe instead a round for all those that had to retire due to career ending injury. Maybe some type of fund

If anything it should be up to the Knights to do fundraisers of any type for him. Imo anyway.

The ref and the commentators both essentially say it was his fault. I will never forget that 60 minutes thing where he basically just attacks Cameron smith, watching the actual footage he did nothing bad at all. Alex Mckinnon is just a dickhead in my books.

One of the world's true wankers

I don't mind that he sues the NRL.

The money he has already got wouldn't be enough to live off for the rest of his life, the care and the treatment he would need isn't cheap, and to be honest the NRL need to be taken to court. Their track record for looking after players has been shocking.

What I have an issue with is going after McClean for a tackle that wasn't even illegal.

I don't mind that he sues the NRL.

The money he has already got wouldn't be enough to live off for the rest of his life, the care and the treatment he would need isn't cheap, and to be honest the NRL need to be taken to court. Their track record for looking after players has been shocking.

What I have an issue with is going after McClean for a tackle that wasn't even illegal.

Which in a court of law will come under massive scrutiny. This will not end well, mentally, for McKinnon IMO.

Hasn't he read the Religion thread. Surely God must be on this docket as well,

I would have no problem with him going after the NRL. there would be a settlement that both parties could live with.

but going after McLean is just plain wrong ... and is likely to turn whatever public remained on his side (after the Cam Smith hatchet job on 60 minutes) firmly against him

The tackle was 100% an accident and in no way worth a 7 week suspension. there were also 2 other players involved in the tackle, and the result was at least partially due to McKinnon's actions in the tackle.

That would set a dangerous precedent if successful, suing another club player.

Every player on the field is at risk for 80 mins it's a brutal sport.

Alex knows this, and has had a hell of a lot of support from clubs, fans and the media.
But McLean has been through the mill with this too.
What's the lad supposed to do?
He has to live with that accident and now be vilified and dragged through court ?

There has to be a legal reason he's going after McClean. Maybe, like a car accident, McKinnon is able to claim against the other person's insurance too, if the payout limit of his own does not cover the agreed value of the damages. If the max is $500k, he gets his own and McKinnon's. If that's the case it's pretty petty.

What I want to know is, if he's claiming a loss of lifestyle from the injury, is the lifestyle he's referring to the one of a successful professional sportsperson, or a grunt laborer? Because from where I sit, he can't have it both ways. The sport is what would afford him the better lifestyle, if he accepts that opportunity he accepts the risk. If he argues that the NRL did not fully inform him of the risks, then the implication would be that, had he been informed, he would have chosen not to play. If that's the case, he doesn't get to sue for the loss of lifestyle of a star, and the opportunities that came after, he gets to sue for the loss of lifestyle of an anonymous grunt. I expect the costs to uphold each would be quite different.

That's really badly worded. You know what I'm getting at, right?

I have total and permanent disability insurance in my superfund for these type of injuries. Why didn't McKinnon have it in his? Or do these guys think that if they get injured they will just sue someone to make up for the fact they don't have appropriate cover to cover an accident

Active Now

• Jazza
  • Foordy
  • Allo
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Xzei
  • bb_gun
  • Fitzy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Behind enemy lines
  • broncos4life
  • Mustafur
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fozz
  • Hoof Hearted
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Fatboy
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Broncosgirl
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.