Alex McKinnon

Who should he be able to sue? (successfully)

• Jordan Mclean

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Melbourne Storm

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Newcastle Knights

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NRL

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • No one

Votes: 15 68.2%

• Total voters
Does the fact that shortly after his accident the NRL announced a crackdown on lifting tackles make any difference? I always thought that made the NRL look a bit guilty after the fact.

If it truly was a 'tackle gone wrong' then why the renewed emphasis on dangerous lifting tackles? Doesn't that kinda prove they haven't done everything they can to make the game safe.

That being said, I'm no lawyer. I have no idea if this case has merit or not.

I don't agree though with suing other players. Even in this day and age, I'd still like to think players don't go out and look to deliberately injure other players.

It was typical reactionary NRL, they cracked down on lifting tackles because the most extreme of them would typically be the cause of something like this, even though the actual tackle was borderline at best.

If a proper court was to examine this exact case, there's no doubt they'd find the tackle pretty innocuous. To be fair to McKinnon, he did what he did because he thought he was going over, so even if his actions were decisive in causing the damage, they'd be considered as something akin to defensive injuries.

The thing that might SAVE the NRL is that the tackle was so malign. Had a crackdown been put in place earlier, I doubt it would have prevented a tackle like this anyway, purely because there was no malice or even recklessness. Just a leg pull gone wrong, so arguably no carelessness either.

Shearer won $60,000 from David French after having his jaw broken in '88.
Rogers sued Bugden and Canterbury after his jaw was broken.
Brohman sued Boyd and settled out of court for $35,000.
Jack sued Roberts and won $50,000
McCracken won $97,000 from a spear tackle because his career was over- how significant is that?

Shearer won $60,000 from David French after having his jaw broken in '88.
Rogers sued Bugden and Canterbury after his jaw was broken.
Brohman sued Boyd and settled out of court for $35,000.
Jack sued Roberts and won $50,000
McCracken won $97,000 from a spear tackle because his career was over- how significant is that?

Weren't they deliberate and illegal acts?

If anyone deserves a big payout it's the blokes family that died from the Francis Molo hit. Extremely confident their insurance payout and fundraiser would have been a lot less and the kid will grow up without a parent. The thing is, life is cruel. You can get deal a rough hand whether you get an illness, an injury from falling down the stairs or getting into a car accident. Blaming other people just bothers me.

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  • I bleed Maroon
  • GCBRONCO
  • Justwin
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Battler
  • Wolfie
  • Strop
  • Organix
  • Redux
  • Allo
  • Brotherdu
  • Fatboy
  • broncsgoat
  • Midean
  • winslow_wong
  • Volvo Driver
  • Xzei
  • Tim K
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
... and 34 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.