All Time Tournament-Football

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Just coz we are pumping out the football threads, if you were to design an 8 team tournament to decide the greatest team of all time, which teams would u choose?

1st Round:

Early 90s AC Milan vs Late 60s Inter Milan
Verdict: Both sides were known for their defence, Inter with their "Cattenacio" style football and Milan with the greatest Defensive backline of all time, Milan have the midfield and forwards to win this, Milan win 1-0.

2006 FC Barcelona vs Mid 90s Juventus
Verdict: what great player matchups here: Zidane vs Ronaldinho, Del Piero vs Deco, Baggio vs Messi, Vialli vs Eto'o. I personally am a huge fan of both sides but i think the 2006 fc Barcelona side would have run riot at times over Juve. 3-2 Barca.

Mid 80s Liverpool vs Early 70s Ajax
Verdict: The Johann Cryuff/Johann Neeskens lead Ajax were dominant in their era, but so too were Liverpool who seemed invincible in their day. Ajax stunned everyone with their new brand of total football and Liverpools attacking flair often shocked foreign defences, a tight game but Liverpool wins 2-1 in extra time.

Late 50s Real Madrid vs Mid 70s Bayern Munich
Verdict: Bayern again excelled in an era where total football was new and if Ajax were the kings of total football, then Bayern werent too far behind. Real would of struggled a little with this new breed of football, but their class all over the park would shine through and would get home comfortably 3-1.

Semi Finals:

Early 90s AC Milan vs 2006 FC Barcelona
Verdict: Its no secret that im Barca mad. but if AC Milan can put 4 on Barcas "Dream Team" of the 90s and not concede any goals against stoichkov and Romario who a month later would go on to be the stars of the world cup tournament, Then they would have no trouble putting goals past the questionable defence that barca possesed in 2006. Ronaldinhos class will shine and he will score but Milan win easily, 3-1.

Early 80s Liverpool vs Late 50s Real Madrid
Verdict: Two very similar teams, class across the park and enough brilliance up front to give goalkeepers nightmares. Real have too much class though and win 2-1.

FINAL:

Early 90s AC Milan vs Late 50 Real Madrid
Verdict: The AC Milan of that era is the greatest team of all time. Van Basten & Lentini dominating up front, Rijkaard, Donadoni, Albertini & Gullit controlling the midfield and the revered defence of Mauro Tassoti, Alessandro Costacurta, Paolo Maldini and of Course The greatest defender of all time, Franco Baresi. Milan win 2-0.

Great idea for a thread mate.

I'd have to go along with your final verdict, that early 90's Milan team was all class. It would absolutely dominate.

That said, Liverpool back in the 80's was mighty strong. :mrgreen:

The busby babes team would have to get a mention. Maybe even the late 90's Man U team.

Beckham-Keane-Scholes-Giggs

Love them or hate them, that is a farken lethal midfield right there.

I can't believe a side that won 5 straight CL's with Di Stefano and Puskas didn't win and I despise Madrid [eusa_eh

hey thats just my thoughts guys, u can come up with ur own if u like!

man united 60s team was neck and neck with inter milan for that 8th spot, but that inter side was so influential in the history of italian football with their "catenaccio" style and being a big fan of italian football, i couldnt leave them out..

Active Now

• Xzei
  • FACTHUNT
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.