NEWS Andrew McCullough’s complicated contract a headache for Broncos

I think Macca is the one player that would lift most of the clubs he would go to. He has been average playing 80 minutes, giving us an extra slot on the bench to use in whatever way we see fit.
We blame him for that. The truth is that not one more line break from dummy half or magical pass has been done by Turpin than has been done by Macca. Macca has played through injury when we had no one and turpin had been aweful in Q cup.
Turpin has had an extended run and is playing good now. He is given the chance to play 60 minutes of good football. Remember the last time we did that. It was when macca was coming back from injury. When we did it with knik off the bench it worked so well, people were saying he should be the hooker, then the half.
Before too long these stints from Saguaro will have people asking why we play Turpin at all, and not just play Saguaro from the start. The point is if you play a utility off the bench the options open up from dummy half. It has very little to do with who plays there.
What should really concern people is that we look better in attack because our halves are not offering enough to be a threat by themselves. That run by Milford was good show-and-go against a couple of tired forwards but we shouldn't kid ourselves that our halves are performing any better than when Knik was there.
Dearden is too early to judge at this stage and will need the off-season to embed himself into this more structured style of play, but Milford hasn't improved in 4 years, with one exception: his kicking. Even that is up and down, and although I couldn't see the game, was described as woeful by the radio commentators.
We need to address that.

What is Einstein’s definition of insanity again?

That is what we experienced under Bennett, second time around. Regardless of ‘service’ players needed to move on. Grandpa Wayne wasn’t prepared to do it, in fact he did the complete opposite clearly pushing for strange recruitment decisions that are biting us on the arse now and for years to come...

The club had become stale, complacent, distinctly lacking in ruthlessness compared to the top clubs and sliding further and further down the pecking order.

Something had to be done. We were not on a path towards a premiership, we were heading the other way.

That course may or may not have been corrected with these changes, but something had to be tried. For the good OF the club...

Love this post. This ^^ is the main reason why I wanted us to move on from Bennett.

What is Einstein’s definition of insanity again?

That is what we experienced under Bennett, second time around. Regardless of ‘service’ players needed to move on. Grandpa Wayne wasn’t prepared to do it, in fact he did the complete opposite clearly pushing for strange recruitment decisions that are biting us on the arse now and for years to come...

The club had become stale, complacent, distinctly lacking in ruthlessness compared to the top clubs and sliding further and further down the pecking order.

Something had to be done. We were not on a path towards a premiership, we were heading the other way.

That course may or may not have been corrected with these changes, but something had to be tried. For the good OF the club...
He was literally making sure the club bought and retained the players who would replace those players, but sure.. lets go with that. The only difference is Seibold was losing with those players and was getting desperate. The players he's brought in (Apart from Segeyaro) were all here when Bennett was.

Lets be realistic here. The moment McC is fit he will be straight back in the side. Then it’s just a matter of who is the last 20 minute #14 on the bench

He was literally making sure the club bought and retained the players who would replace those players, but sure.. lets go with that. The only difference is Seibold was losing with those players and was getting desperate. The players he's brought in (Apart from Segeyaro) were all here when Bennett was.

The difference is Seibold has tried something different which Bennett obstinately refused to do.

Seibold has cleared out some of our issues, Segy aside (as it’s an unforseeable opportunity acquisition, designed to fill a hole that developed because of injury) he never had long enough here to do any serious recruiting prior to season 2019 and had to run with what he inherited. To be fair he still gave plenty of chances to those who haven’t been performing before he started changing things up.

I don’t say approx, 1/3rd of a season is long enough to course correct, but it’s a start and after those rough early rounds, there are some signs that things are starting to change for the better...

The difference is Seibold has tried something different which Bennett obstinately refused to do.

Seibold has cleared out some of our issues, Segy aside (as it’s an unforseeable opportunity acquisition, designed to fill a hole that developed because of injury) he never had long enough here to do any serious recruiting prior to season 2019 and had to run with what he inherited. To be fair he still gave plenty of chances to those who haven’t been performing before he started changing things up.

I don’t say approx, 1/3rd of a season is long enough to course correct, but it’s a start and after those rough early rounds, there are some signs that things are starting to change for the better...
Bennett was preparing the players to eventually be able to try something different. He couldn't name 17 year olds at halfback. He signed a contract giving him time to do it but was sacked before getting the opportunity to utilise the younger players he was preparing. I don't know what more to say about this. When Seibold loses it's Wayne's fault, when he wins its all Seibold. It's just a really dishonest and argument filled with ridiculous double standards.

It’s a delicate situation. You want to show incumbents respect for the purpose of club morale but you also want to reward those who can do a better job. If our winning streak is unbroken by the time Macca is fit it would be really hard to justify changing that.

I know there are a lot of other factors involved and some changes through injury were forced or opportunistic but it’s interesting that Seibold said he’d give the existing line up 8 games to earn retaining their place in the team, and within those 8 rounds we were 2/8. Post round 8 we are 3/3 going into a bye.

I think Macca is the one player that would lift most of the clubs he would go to. He has been average playing 80 minutes, giving us an extra slot on the bench to use in whatever way we see fit.
We blame him for that. The truth is that not one more line break from dummy half or magical pass has been done by Turpin than has been done by Macca. Macca has played through injury when we had no one and turpin had been aweful in Q cup.
Turpin has had an extended run and is playing good now. He is given the chance to play 60 minutes of good football. Remember the last time we did that. It was when macca was coming back from injury. When we did it with knik off the bench it worked so well, people were saying he should be the hooker, then the half.
Before too long these stints from Saguaro will have people asking why we play Turpin at all, and not just play Saguaro from the start. The point is if you play a utility off the bench the options open up from dummy half. It has very little to do with who plays there.
What should really concern people is that we look better in attack because our halves are not offering enough to be a threat by themselves. That run by Milford was good show-and-go against a couple of tired forwards but we shouldn't kid ourselves that our halves are performing any better than when Knik was there.
Dearden is too early to judge at this stage and will need the off-season to embed himself into this more structured style of play, but Milford hasn't improved in 4 years, with one exception: his kicking. Even that is up and down, and although I couldn't see the game, was described as woeful by the radio commentators.
We need to address that.
The Milford-Dearden halves combo is 4 games old.

Milford is just getting used to not having to do everything himself and Dearden is 18 years old and handling NRL level just fine at the moment.

Turpin has played 5 NRL games and is passing the eye test offering more than McCullough has in years.

We look a completely different team - it's not a coincidence.

I don't know what more these young guys have to do to prove to people they deserve to keep their spots.

Last edited:
Segs signing makes it a given imo barring further injuries. Macas saving grace was his workload, which only has the edge if Segs doesn't get picked. With any luck he'll land on his feet Niko style, but I cant see clubs queuing up for him. His rep days were finished after he was benched in Origin last year so its doubtful that will make a difference.

My rant was not just a McCullough thing it was a rant in general about players who have provided outstanding service to the club but when it starts going South a lot of outsiders/supporters seem to think they don't fit the team style anymore, and want to move them on.

As I said if he wants to go then good luck to him, but don't push when he still has a lot of good footy left. Well I'd like to think so?

In regards to the other players mentioned you better believe I was pissed off that they where forced out (maybe not so much McGuire). As for Kodi it was a crying shame but we all knew that are 6 & 7 didn't work well together! Weather or not because they play a similar style I don't know? I'm not in the purple circle of the Broncos.
I can only go on what I see on field & read about. I'm still angry that the King was booted back when.

As for Mr Bennett if there was ever a club legend then he is a walk up. Should put a statue next to the King, the guy he booted[emoji23]

The club totally did the wrong thing by Wayne Bennett. But if we know anything it's that Wayne is a master at subterfuge. The club as in board & management f**ked up in the way it all went down.

I guess I'm just a proud Broncos supporter (like everyone else who posts on here) I remember when it wasn't such a mess. Players were loyal, clubs valued that & stuck by them (as a rule), not saying it happened for every single player.
(Just saying before someone decides to say what about ? back in 19??)

Anyways the boys are starting to get a role on and we will be in the mix come September/October.
Broncos v Bunnys GF how good would it be[emoji1360]

Did you go into a coma in 1988 and have just woken up now? This is the only explanation I can come up with.

Welcome, you have missed a lot.

Name one thing Macca would bring to this team that we need right now. Or ever.

Experience, less stupid penalties. I guess you're right. I couldn't name one thing

Come on man, that's clutching at straws. Experience of not throwing a pass that probably wins a GF? Experience of throwing passes all over the place when the game is on the line? And are you saying Macca only ever gives away 'smart' penalties?

Experience in throwing a dummy on the try line that came off maybe once a season, but tried multiple times a game

Come on man, that's clutching at straws. Experience of not throwing a pass that probably wins a GF? Experience of throwing passes all over the place when the game is on the line? And are you saying Macca only ever gives away 'smart' penalties?
There's a reason he's up in the box in the coaches ear. He's not a dumb footy player. Having such a young team you need those older players in the team. You also don't let those players go or leave them in Q Cup if you want the team morale to stay high. He's a good example for the younger players. The finals experience he's gained over the years will be important later in the year. But don't worry about my opinion. Lets just wait and see what the savior thinks in a few weeks.

And he certainly doesn't give away the penalties Turpin has been, putting us under more unnecessary pressure than we need to be under.

There's a reason he's up in the box in the coaches ear. He's not a dumb footy player. Having such a young team you need those older players in the team. You also don't let those players go or leave them in Q Cup if you want the team morale to stay high. He's a good example for the younger players. The finals experience he's gained over the years will be important later in the year. But don't worry about my opinion. Lets just wait and see what the savior thinks in a few weeks.

And he certainly doesn't give away the penalties Turpin has been, putting us under more unnecessary pressure than we need to be under.

I don't really agree with a lot of that but I do like the reply, it is well argued. Well done. :)

I think a lot of Turpin's penalties are poor, I agree but I also think they come from over enthusiasm. I also think what Turpin offers in tackling pressure, game awareness and service quality far outweighs the penalty-negative.

Active Now

• Waynesaurus
  • Foordy
  • bb_gun
  • I bleed Maroon
  • broncsgoat
  • Harry Sack
  • Mustafur
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Organix
  • Aldo
  • Dash
  • Jazza
  • Morkel
  • westy316
  • BroncoFan94
  • Browny
  • theshed
  • Redux
  • Financeguy
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.