NEWS Andrew McCullough’s complicated contract a headache for Broncos

Quote the posts criticizing Seibold? It's pretty much "Seibold did what Bennett didn't" but not admitting his hand was forced by McCullough's injury. Bennett did the same thing last year when McCullough was injured as well. Only one is getting credit while the other apparently did nothing last year

There is one above from Accept as one example.

I can only speak for myself but I know I have given Bennett plenty of credit, all of which is deserved. I am not going to say nothing though when Seibold isn't given the same.

Surely you don't believe he is or that that's fair
A spud is probably a bit cruel but it was only an attempt at humour anyways. But, like I said all along, Seibs is nothing special, just a run of the mill coach who will be around for a few years until his options run out and he is forgotten about. I didn't like Henjak or Hook either and I don't think Seibs is any smarter than these guys. He has to earn my respect, they sacked the greatest coach the game has ever seen (whom I respect massively) so I expect this guy to be as successful or at least close to it. I certainly won't be holding my breath on that one. I'll support the Broncos till the day I die but that doesn't mean that I have to like everyone associated with the club.

There is one above from Accept as one example.

I can only speak for myself but I know I have given Bennett plenty of credit, all of which is deserved. I am not going to say nothing though when Seibold isn't given the same.
Seibold will get it when it's proven that his changes are good for the club. Even this week, Turpin and Segs went backwards. It still isn't entirely proven that it is our best option. Seibold has to earn the praise, like Bennett did over 30 years. I can't say how I would have felt in 1988 because I wasn't even born, but Bennett eventually earned the praise you and I give him. Seibold has a chance to do so over the next five years. But I'm not praising him for bringing Turpin in because his hand was forced, especially considering how garbage we were to begin the season.

I'm happy for Turpin to stay at 9. I just don't agree that he earned his spot in Q Cup, or that McCullough doesn't deserve a shot at playing 50 minutes.

The game is rugby league. As cliche as Gus Gould ALWAYS annoyingly says - its a funny game. Some players with better mental understanding of the game really only lift and show their colours under the pressure and speed of NRL. Ive seen first grade players come back to reserve grade through injury/form/discipline and look like they've never played a week of NRL, put them back in the top squad and they hit their straps instantly.

For this reason, you cannot always rely on incumbency. Its irrelevant of how well Macca or Turpin plays in ISC. Once you get a start in NRL, its your job to perform, performances earn you a continued spot, performances in combination with other players also earn you a spot. Without this competition how else does that position evolve??? Going by your thinking a player must XYZ games of ISC with XYZ statistics with XYZ percentage of performances...Its the quickest step to breeding mediocre performances and no evolution. Which ironcially...is how we got into the Kodi and Macca mess.

Last edited:
The game is rugby league. As cliche as Gus Gould ALWAYS annoyingly says - its a funny game. Some players with better mental understanding of the game really only lift and show their colours under the pressure and speed of NRL. Ive seen first grade players come back to reserve grade through injury/form/discipline and look like they've never played a week of NRL, put them back in the top squad and they hit their straps instantly.

For this reason, you cannot always rely on incumbency. Its irrelevant of how well Macca or Turpin plays in ISC. Once you get a start in NRL, its your job to perform, performances earn you a continued spot, performances in combination with other players also earn you a spot. Without this competition how else does that position evolve??? Going by your thinking a player must XYZ games of ISC with XYZ statistics with XYZ percentage of performances...Its the quickest step to breeding mediocre performances and no evolution. Which ironcially...is how we got into the Kodi and Macca mess.
I've only responded to people saying McCullough needs to earn his spot in Q Cup, just like Turpin did because that wasn't the case at all. You've mistaken my point and you're not really arguing the point I made and have turned it into something else that I mostly agree with because it is being proven by Turpin now. He's definitely playing better than he was for Redcliffe, but he's also surrounded by better players. He hasn't been as good as some have hyped him up to be on here and has earned criticism and praise from many. If he can work on not putting us under unnecessary pressure with stupid penalties and not making his first receiver jump or spin to catch then I'd be very happy with him keeping the spot but there's no way what he's done so far 100% ensures his spot.

Macca played his best when not playing 80 and I'd like to see him get a go. If he doesn't perform then he's done at the Broncos. But it's not possible to compare the two when their opportunities have been different. Plus like I said earlier, it's not up to us. Let's see what Seibold decides when McCullough is able to return. Either way, I'm happy with both options.

Seibold will get it when it's proven that his changes are good for the club. Even this week, Turpin and Segs went backwards. It still isn't entirely proven that it is our best option. Seibold has to earn the praise, like Bennett did over 30 years. I can't say how I would have felt in 1988 because I wasn't even born, but Bennett eventually earned the praise you and I give him. Seibold has a chance to do so over the next five years. But I'm not praising him for bringing Turpin in because his hand was forced, especially considering how garbage we were to begin the season.

So do you also not give him credit for making the call on Kodi? something that would not have been easy given how well liked Kodi was here.

Do you also not take into account that our garbage start may have had something to do with the fact that this team was learning structure for probably it's first time? (this is something that many people have stated, not just something concocted by Bennett-lifers).

How did Turpin and Segs go backwards this week?

Last edited:
So do you also not give him credit for making the call on Kodi? something that would not have been easy given how well liked Kodi was here.

Do you also not take into account that our garbage start may have had something to do with the fact that this team was learning structure for probably it's first time? (this is something that many people have stated, not just something concocted by Bennett-lifers).

How did Turpin and Segs go backwards this week?
The Kodi thing was made easier by Kodi requesting to leave. Seibold wanted to move him to the bench and Kodi said no. That's why the players didn't react badly. He does deserve credit for that because a bench hooker is a good idea.

The garbage start was mostly on the players to be fair. It wasn't Seibold dropping the ball, giving away penalties and missing easy tackles. Seibold can get credit for fixing that. We still aren't attacking well, so those structures still aren't coming into place.

Turpin and Segs went backwards because they were better the previous week. We don't have enough information to know if it will last or if they get better or worse. We will have to wait before Seibold gets any credit for that.

He has to earn my respect, they sacked the greatest coach the game has ever seen (whom I respect massively) so I expect this guy to be as successful or at least close to it. I certainly won't be holding my breath on that one.

Wayne Bennett won us 1 premiership in the last 12 years he coached the Broncos and 0 in the last 6 years he coached us. If Seibold can win us one in less than 6 years, I'll consider that an improvement.

Back on topic, I hope Turpin continues to get a run for long enough to know whether he is a genuine improvement over Macca or just a flash in the pan. If he's still going good once Macca is ready to return, maybe give them both a half each for a few games and see who appears to be the more dominant hooker.

At least he's trying though. I'd rather him give himself a licence and work on his kicking game rather than give it up altogether. At least he has the awareness and confidence to put them in. He's still young.. it'll improve.
Yes, and also the chance he might kick is another vector of uncertainty. This was the problem with Macca. 9/10 he's going to gently lob the ball to the last player he looked at, giving the opposition ample time to smother them.
[automerge]1558938638[/automerge]
Turpin is sharp, quicker and a little more brash with his play work - almost like a mini 7. He seems to read on the run well and has hunger in that department that Macca rarely displayed. For me that's the biggest thing.

He was previously a halfback but injuries slowed him down.

Last edited:
I know niko was the invisible man at times last year but from all reports we simply didn’t have anyone better. Is that Wayne’s fault?

yes ... because then the question needs to be asked why we didn't recruit anyone better.

Well now that our newest recruit has just been done drink driving McColloughs job seems safer already unfortunately

Well now that our newest recruit has just been done drink driving McColloughs job seems safer already unfortunately

Low range drink driving, if Inglis gets 2 weeks for mid-range he should only miss the Titans game.

All will be revealed in time

Last edited:
yes ... because then the question needs to be asked why we didn't recruit anyone better.

Because bhunt left unexpectedly and there was a dearth of quality playmakers on the market.

Low range drink driving, if Inglis gets 2 weeks for mid-range he should only miss the Titans game.

I don’t think it’s the type of offence that would worry the club it’s more the fact that the guy has been here less then two weeks and has gone and done this. Personally I think low range is almost as bad as a high range offence in this case.

There was obviously a reason why it took him so long to find a club. You would think that after finally getting a chance you would be on the straight and narrow.

I’d be happy for him to get the sack!

“Segeyaro recorded a breath test reading well under 0.05 in Brisbane this morning, but due to the fact he is on a Provisional Licence he has been issued with a notice to appear. The NRL Integrity Unit has been informed and the club is working through the issue in conjunction with them.”

This is the law, if you weren't aware (I wasn't). Basically, mouthwash will put you over:

0.00 (‘no alcohol’ limit)

All learner, P1/P2 provisional, probationary or restricted licence holders (regardless of age). All licence holders learning to drive the next higher class of licence under the authority of their provisional, probationary or open licence "

It was .08 when I had my P's.
[automerge]1558943859[/automerge]
I don’t think it’s the type of offence that would worry the club it’s more the fact that the guy has been here less then two weeks and has gone and done this. Personally I think low range is almost as bad as a high range offence in this case.

There was obviously a reason why it took him so long to find a club. You would think that after finally getting a chance you would be on the straight and narrow.

I’d be happy for him to get the sack!

Bring back the rope, right?

Last edited:
It is a bad look. Very minor offense in my eyes but **** me dead just stay off the piss for a bit.

Active Now

• kiwi2
  • Big Del
  • Xzei
  • theshed
  • Broncosgirl
  • Santa
  • Cavalo
  • GCBRONCO
  • Dash
  • Midean
  • Sproj
  • Adammacca
  • BruiserMk1
  • Gaz
  • IceWorks
  • FACTHUNT
  • johnny plath
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.