OFFICIAL Andrew McCullough has left the building

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018

The Brisbane Broncos today confirm they have released Andrew McCullough from his 2021 contract effective immediately. McCullough, from Dalby, played 260 NRL matches for the Broncos, and represented Queensland in three State of Origin matches in 2018. The 31-year-old started with the Broncos in the National Youth Competition under-20s team, before making his NRL debut in Round 10 of 2008 against Cronulla.

43883c591b7eb7e77f058211b5bb7961

Exiting opportunity.

Broncos Chief Executive Paul White thanked McCullough for his efforts while in the Broncos jersey, having started in the Club’s talent development system as a 13-year-old:

“Macca has always been well respected by his fellow players and staff, and favourite with our members and fans. It is sad to see him depart Brisbane, but he will always have a special place here at the club. We wish Andrew and Carlie all the best in what will be a new and exciting opportunity for them.”

Dragons General Manager of Football, Ben Haran said:

“It’s no secret that we have been interested in Andrew McCullough for a while now and we’re pleased to see him finally sign with the Dragons. Signing a player of Andrew’s calibre will no doubt inject plenty of experience into our team and wider squad while his style of play will complement the development of the exciting young talent we have here at the Dragons.”

McHunt

Last edited:
Should have happened a long time ago. The circus with Newcastle last year was embarrassing. We have to be the only club in the comp that would "loan" a mediocre at best player to another club rather than just a full release. I respect his attitude and work ethic, but he is just not that good and never has been. A tackling machine is a nice thing to have, but as a hooker in the modern game, it can't be the only thing you have. A special thanks to Anthony Griffin for cleaning up the last bit of his own stench.

I wish him all the best, but please don't come back this time.

Last edited:

The Brisbane Broncos today confirm they have released Andrew McCullough from his 2021 contract effective immediately. McCullough, from Dalby, played 260 NRL matches for the Broncos, and represented Queensland in three State of Origin matches in 2018. The 31-year-old started with the Broncos in the National Youth Competition under-20s team, before making his NRL debut in Round 10 of 2008 against Cronulla.

View attachment 11359
Exiting opportunity.

Broncos Chief Executive Paul White thanked McCullough for his efforts while in the Broncos jersey, having started in the Club’s talent development system as a 13-year-old:

“Macca has always been well respected by his fellow players and staff, and favourite with our members and fans. It is sad to see him depart Brisbane, but he will always have a special place here at the club. We wish Andrew and Carlie all the best in what will be a new and exciting opportunity for them.”
Need less Paul White.

But who will babysit the kids?

End of an era in a way, McCullough has been a main stay in this team for many seasons now, a few years after our last GF win to be around for the biggest period of non success in our history. I've never been his biggest fan but can admit we missed his defence and general professionalism during the cluster **** of season 2020.

I also don't place all of the blame for our under performance the last decade plus on his head but i do believe players like McCullough did not help by never really living up to their potential/hype/wishful thinking on a consistent basis but he had some mates in that department (Kahu/Glenn/Norman/Michaels/Taylor/Beale). He was unfairly compared to our version of Cameron Smith early in his career but he never came close to that level.

Still, 260 games is a hell of a career but i cant help but feel he played more games than he should have and flew below the radar due to being a top bloke to have around the club and the acceptance that finishing 4th - 6th was still a successful season and we should be better next year...

I do wish him all the best at the Dragons.

The most important question is and the only thing we should all care about of course, how much are we covering?

All the best Macca.

Except when we play the Dragons. STILL owe them an ass kicking from 2018.

I liked Macca and think he wasn't as bad as what people made out at times (myself included). His defence will be missed, his attack, um, ye....

I think people linking our defence and season even partially to him missing and saying turpin isn't up to it are forgetting turpin' s injuries last year (and our entire squads for that matter). Turpin will surprise I think. Walter's will be a good foil if he comes back from the acl ok, and paix is so close its not funny. He just needs consistent 80 min games in QLD cup for half a year to be something potentially special, don't know why more can't see it. He could flop, but I can definetly see something. We still need a GREAT spine player, and hooker is the most important position in the game at the moment I believe, so give the above a year and if it's a flop then go to the market. But they do have potential, more then has been suggested on here...

Last edited:
I liked Macca and think he wasn't as bad as what people made out at times (myself included). His defence will be missed, his attack, um, ye....

I think people linking our defence and season even partially to him missing and saying turpin isn't up to it are forgetting turpin' s injuries last year (and our entire squads for that matter). Turpin will surprise I think. Walter's will be a good foil if he comes back from the acl ok, and paix is so close its not funny. He just needs consistent 80 min games in QLD cup for half a year to be something potentially special, don't know why more can't see it. He could flop, but I can definetly see something. We still need a GREAT spine player, and hooker is the most important position in the game at the moment I believe, so give the above a year and if it's a flop then go to the market. But they do have potential, more then has been suggested on here...
Turpin is just a stop gap until Paix is ready.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Galah
  • Cavalo
  • Culhwch
  • Wolfie
  • bazza
  • Fitzy
  • Broncorob
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Justwin
  • Broncosgirl
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Harry Sack
  • Fozz
  • heartly87
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Skyblues87
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.