PLAYER Andrew McCullough

I bleed Maroon

State of Origin Captain
If there's any man in this squad that deserves their own whinge thread, it's this spud. I've been among many saying it all year and right now we're feeling pretty vindicated, I would've thought.

The bloke is pus. Being a purely defensive hooker is hardly that useful when the side is so constantly being dominated in and around the ruck. He's been coasting along on his 50 tackles a game for too long. His passing is slow and predictable, he doesn't direct his players around the park like a Smith would, he has a decent kicking boot which he never uses anyway, but where he is comfortably at his worst is his dummy half running. Good lord is it bad. He never makes more than 5 or so metres per run and he keeps on doing it as if it's useful.

Considering the quality we will be commanding elsewhere next year, surely we can do better than this in one of the most important positions on the field. He's had over 200 games to become a better player and he hasn't. If anything he's gone backwards.

Last edited:

Tstev92

QCup Player
Havent we got worse problems than Macca right now? He isn't going to win a game for us but he won't lose one either

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Brisvegas
Havent we got worse problems than Macca right now? He isn't going to win a game for us but he won't lose one either
When the player that handles the ball more than any other player, the player that dictates how effective our attacking plays pan out, makes bad decisions in attack, totally stuffs up the whole rhythm of our attacking plays by stuttering when we need clean, crisp service, then it is time to remove said player.

Gaz

NRL Player
Jake Turpin tackles like Gillmeister and runs like Granville used to but hey he’s apparently not in the Bennett club or so it seems. Don’t give me any of that ‘not experienced enough’ crap, I saw what the so called experienced ones served up this afternoon.

mrslong

State of Origin Rep
Patriots Nation
When the player that handles the ball more than any other player, the player that dictates how effective our attacking plays pan out, makes bad decisions in attack, totally stuffs up the whole rhythm of our attacking plays by stuttering when we need clean, crisp service, then it is time to remove said player.
Preach!

Tstev92

QCup Player
Jake Turpin tackles like Gillmeister and runs like Granville used to but hey he’s apparently not in the Bennett club or so it seems. Don’t give me any of that ‘not experienced enough’ crap, I saw what the so called experienced ones served up this afternoon.
He is promising came out of a good system only reason he left Melbourne is because they have the two smiths there

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Is that actually true though? I mean he is certainly one of the players who rarely gets mentioned despite dummying and bombing a certain try to Parker in the 2015 GF, which could certainly be argued as a massive reason for losing that game.

Is it a coincidence that the side has looked better much better when Turpin has been at hooker this year?

broncsgoat

NRL Captain
I don’t actually think so. His service was fucking pus today. Milf had a day to forget, but it can’t be easy trying to get the team moving forward when you’re either catching the ball on your toes, behind you, or above your head. I’m a fat, unfit bloke who hasn’t played footy for 12 years but I can pass better than this bloke.

mrslong

State of Origin Rep
Patriots Nation
Macca is actually making Mitch rein look sharp this year. Honestly. I think his head knocks have caught up with him. I bloody love him, and he has never disgraced himself in a Broncos jersey, but it’s no surprise he was at his best in 2015 when we had niko off the bench.

Tstev92

QCup Player
Is that actually true though? I mean he is certainly one of the players who rarely gets mentioned despite dummying and bombing a certain try to Parker in the 2015 GF, which could certainly be argued as a massive reason for losing that game.

Is it a coincidence that the side has looked better much better when Turpin has been at hooker this year?
I'm not saying he is the answer I like how Turpin looks, I liked parcell and I was always a fan of baptiste but there are a few areas that need to be fixed to be a competitive team each week, for example nikorima's defence costs us on a Regular basis or Boyd's positioning when's teams kick behind the line

CaptainHook

NRL Player

To this day I will never know how that moment just went through to the keeper.

No one talks about that at all. It's all about Ben Hunt's mistake.

Like how Jar Jar gets bagged and nobody says a word about Boss Nass lol. He gets off light. No case to answer.

I think it's just how Rugby League fans are wired. Memories like goldfish. It's not about who makes a mistake in a game.

It's all about who makes the last mistake in a game.

Tstev92

QCup Player
I don’t actually think so. His service was fucking pus today. Milf had a day to forget, but it can’t be easy trying to get the team moving forward when you’re either catching the ball on your toes, behind you, or above your head. I’m a fat, unfit bloke who hasn’t played footy for 12 years but I can pass better than this bloke.
Fair point, over our halves going back to catch the ball and loosing momentum

McHunt

NRL Player
Sunshine Coast
Same here, and I've been ranting about it for years. How the **** does he even get to touch the ball let alone dictate the speed of play?

Give him a free one-way ticket to England. Let him play over there. And sign up Segeyaro.

Last edited:

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
How bout we bring back the 'great enigma' thread rather than make a new one?
Interesting enough..... waaay back in 2013, most of us recognised that McCullough needed to take his game to the next level.

It's now 5 years on. It's time to admit he can't. He's already peaked.....and now he's regressing.

WB needs to make a tough call next year if we're to stand a chance of improving on this season.

winslow_wong

State of Origin Captain
bris
We had all the momentum today and then the following set after a try Macca takes a scoot from dummy half and spills the ball. The dragons scored after that and changed the game completely. Not great from a rep player with 200+ nrl games under his belt.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter