PLAYER Andrew McCullough

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
I'm still confident that the issues with McCullough are greatly exaggerated. I haven't seen a massive difference between his last few games and the others he has played this season. I suspect that now people are watching him more closely, they can see that he does actually know how to pass, engage the markers, and has the game awareness to get the ball to the halves when a decent attacking opportunity arises.

But because everyone has been told "he's shit", they think that he's only doing these things now, these last few weeks, where in actual fact he's always been capable of it, and even when he's down on form, is still at about 90% of his best. He is very consistent.

On top of that, McCullough is the sort of hooker we need, or at least, has been up until now. If the criticism of Milford & Nikorima were correct, in that neither were controlling halves, and relied on their running game, then surely a cool, consistent head at dummy half is required to balance them out. Same goes for defence - both halves have been hopeless this year in that regard, and are giving the opposition little resistance - all the more reason to have a strong defender to cover the middle should the other forwards need to spread out to compensate.

Cult3 Cult3 was spot on, even with McCullough having what many people said was a decent game, our team failures were still just as bad. Our issues don't lie at hooker at all.

Alec

International Rep
I remember around the start of the anti-Macca phase, it wasn't a very big following. I was since earls 10's, when I started noticing that he hasn't been making almost any progress as a player since he started. Who else was with me from the start? I'm pretty sure Fourex was, not sure who else. Anyway, it grew over time, and now pretty much most people agree that he's mediocre at best. It's kind of like with Boyd, almost everyone can see it now.

No one is saying he's our main issue (at least not seriously), but he's someone we've gotta replace soon if we want to improve ALL parts of the side. I hope all the rumours are true.

kluppy

NYC Player
I wonder how he would go with a decent controlling half who dictates when and where he wants the ball to go? quite often you see him at dummy half looking at our current halves with his arms up like he's asking what's going on.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I remember around the start of the anti-Macca phase, it wasn't a very big following. I was since earls 10's, when I started noticing that he hasn't been making almost any progress as a player since he started. Who else was with me from the start? I'm pretty sure Fourex was, not sure who else. Anyway, it grew over time, and now pretty much most people agree that he's mediocre at best. It's kind of like with Boyd, almost everyone can see it now.

No one is saying he's our main issue (at least not seriously), but he's someone we've gotta replace soon if we want to improve ALL parts of the side. I hope all the rumours are true.
I don't know when I started but it's been at least 5+ years where i think he's an average overrated plodder. I distinctly remember all the bs "it's his 4th year now he'll get better", in fact I don't think he's better than 2008.

Really a solid player, probably deserves 250k on the cap and would be ideal as a substitute 9. He has his role in the team somewhere but he has never been and never will be good enough to be our main / only 9. If we had a bench hooker that was actually used (Kodi, Granville, Parcell) I think most of us would be okay with it. No one at the Broncos in the last decade has had position security like Macca.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I'm still confident that the issues with McCullough are greatly exaggerated. I haven't seen a massive difference between his last few games and the others he has played this season. I suspect that now people are watching him more closely, they can see that he does actually know how to pass, engage the markers, and has the game awareness to get the ball to the halves when a decent attacking opportunity arises.

But because everyone has been told "he's shit", they think that he's only doing these things now, these last few weeks, where in actual fact he's always been capable of it, and even when he's down on form, is still at about 90% of his best. He is very consistent.
I haven't seen a massive difference either, he's still a slow low IQ footy player who has no clue how to make the right decisions. Right now in the scheme of things, he's probably 10th on the list of problems that need fixing, but he's still unquestionably an overrated **** and if there's one thing I want Seibold to do this year it's find another fucking 9. Macca is not an 80 minute hooker's shoe laces and never will be. Get a real 9 to both share the minute and pressure Macca to play better.

Tom

State of Origin Rep
I thought he was pretty good up until this year when I really started paying attention. He's not shit, he's the very definition of bog average. We need someone who's more of a threat, that will unlock Milford's attacking potential.

PNG Broncos fan88

QCup Player
Port Moresby
100% Footy on Nine, heard Gus and panel discuss the Broncos problems. He said something to the effect, that if Walters picked McCullough again QLD would lose the 2019 series no doubt. Felt sorry for our incumbent Origin hooker, got his papers stamped right there.

It's not only us discussing Boyd and Macca's form now, FOX and Nine are dedicating whole segments to dissecting their play by play mediocrity.

Last edited:

Renegade

NRL Captain

just read the thread i posted a couple of pages back.

Art Vandelay

QCup Player

I remember thinking that if Baptiste was born in '90 and McCullough in '91 that we'd be much better off, so I was on board from 2011 at the latest. It didn't help that he kept getting the ball slapped out of his hands every game, and he was extremely lucky that NRL referees have the most idiotic interpretation of that action as being 'six again'. I was more vocal about getting rid of Wallace though, as we had better back up options there in Norman and Hunt and his 2010 season was diabolical.

Mister Wright

NRL Player
I remember thinking that if Baptiste was born in '90 and McCullough in '91 that we'd be much better off, so I was on board from 2011 at the latest. It didn't help that he kept getting the ball slapped out of his hands every game, and he was extremely lucky that NRL referees have the most idiotic interpretation of that action as being 'six again'. I was more vocal about getting rid of Wallace though, as we had better back up options there in Norman and Hunt and his 2010 season was diabolical.
Lol! This takes the cake! No way is Baptise worthy of shining McCullough’s shoes. Let’s look at all those that have been rated better than McCullough.

Baptise - went to the raiders and couldn’t crack the starting side. Now a bench replacement for a terrible Granville.

Granville - terrible service, but quick out of dummy half. Relied on Thurston to win a premiership. Now barely able to play 35 mins for his current NRL team.

Parcel - hailed as the new messiah and far better than McCullough. Couldn’t crack the Sea Eagles side. No other club wanted him now plodding along on ESL.

Locky888

BRL Player
To highlight how shit Macca is at hooker you only have to look at the 2018 State of Origin series. When Ben Hunt replaced Macca at hooker the difference was between night and day.

Cult3

State of Origin Captain
To highlight how shit Macca is at hooker you only have to look at the 2018 State of Origin series. When Ben Hunt replaced Macca at hooker the difference was between night and day.
To highlight how shit he is you picked the highly skilled rep game he was selected for? I know I stick up for him often but come on..

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
It's interesting to review the fans love-hate relationship with Macca.

There was the early hype which basically consisted of 'maybe he should start over Aaron Gorrell'. Even then there were people who wanted to 'ease him in'. https://broncoshq.com/threads/mccullough-must-start.15353/

A year later, people were questioning whether he was really the future and tossing up alternatives. Get a load of who started this thread, one of Macca's biggest fans. https://broncoshq.com/threads/mccullough-v-hunt.17624/

In 2011, fans were really beginning to get sick of Macca and were producing some epic burns. 'McSlowpo' LOL spwn https://broncoshq.com/threads/andrew-mccullough.19128/

Things went quiet as Macca starting producing more consistent efforts, but fans weren't happy with his under the radar efforts: https://broncoshq.com/threads/andrew-mccullough-the-great-enigma.21824/

I don't think anyone was ever persecuted for having an anti-Macca agenda. In one of the re-signing threads I go after Unbreakable for suggesting that Peats was leagues better. Two years later, Peats would play Origin before Macca but would ultimately be condemned as an average player. Watching both of them now, I can barely tell their games apart.

Alec

International Rep
Nice work diggin' that up Pete. It feels weird reading your own posts from years ago.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
27.4° S, 153.0° E
In one of the re-signing threads I go after Unbreakable for suggesting that Peats was leagues better. Two years later, Peats would play Origin before Macca but would ultimately be condemned as an average player. Watching both of them now, I can barely tell their games apart.
I remember having a pretty big rap on Peats at the Eels, he's closer to Jake Friend than Andrew McCullough for mine. Would still prefer to have Peats :P

Jason Simmons

NRL Player
I wonder how he would go with a decent controlling half who dictates when and where he wants the ball to go? quite often you see him at dummy half looking at our current halves with his arms up like he's asking what's going on.
Like an immortal (in waiting) in the halves beside him? Yeah, he went quite well...

Any sign we’re getting a new immortal in the halves any time soon?

Jason Simmons

NRL Player
I don't know when I started but it's been at least 5+ years where i think he's an average overrated plodder. I distinctly remember all the bs "it's his 4th year now he'll get better", in fact I don't think he's better than 2008.

Really a solid player, probably deserves 250k on the cap and would be ideal as a substitute 9. He has his role in the team somewhere but he has never been and never will be good enough to be our main / only 9. If we had a bench hooker that was actually used (Kodi, Granville, Parcell) I think most of us would be okay with it. No one at the Broncos in the last decade has had position security like Macca.
Can’t talk about anyone else, but with the sole exception of Yow Yeh (sob) I’ve been consistent that the entire and infamous ‘class of 2008’ are absolutely bog average NRL players and always have been.

So much faith has been put in them and they have consistently failed to deliver. They replaced (largely) the players that won our last premiership and among their combined efforts they have won 2 things.

Jack and Sh*t...

They were and are superstars BECAUSE (for some reason) they have played for the Broncos, not because of what they have contributed TO the Broncos...

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter