PLAYER Andrew McCullough

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
I remember having a pretty big rap on Peats at the Eels, he's closer to Jake Friend than Andrew McCullough for mine. Would still prefer to have Peats :P
Like hell you would. 😁

I actually think all three of those players are cut from the same cloth. None of them are especially dynamic but they're reliable dummy halves who get through a mountain of work and they're all pretty tough. Of the three, Friend has the higher ceiling owing to his years as a top dummy half coming through the grades. Both Macca and Peats were manufactured 9s who primarily came through as Ryan Hinchcliffe style ball-playing locks.

All three have really struggled with injury in recent times. I found it remarkable that McCullough played for Queensland before Friend, especially since there didn't seem to be a big blow up over it. It was a testament to just how much Friend was struggling with that sternum injury.

Mister Wright

NRL Player
To highlight how shit Macca is at hooker you only have to look at the 2018 State of Origin series. When Ben Hunt replaced Macca at hooker the difference was between night and day.
Go back & watch the game closely and with a fair sinking halfback running the show Macca was excellent & I was dumbfounded when he was taken off he was the best player on the field. Up 18-0 and then when taken off we looked lost and NSW scored pretty much as soon as he was taken off.

Put me off Walters as a coach as it seems like he doesn’t have a good feel for the game and is stuck with pre-game plans.

Allo

NRL Captain
I always had hope that Macca would become the heir apparent to Smith. I was pro him playing 80, both in part for him to become that player and also to get Hunt into the halves sooner than later

Fast forward the 5 or 6 seasons since then, and he’s just never properly shifted out of, at most, third gear. There was the talk of Smith at the start of 2016(? I think) which prompted him to play some career best footy, but it didn’t last. Perfect world (in this reality) is we kept Parcell or Kodi to play 10-15 each half and keep the pressure on him permanently.

No matter which way you see it, he’s our hooker for the immediate future, hopefully we can score Grant or similar and start implementing his replacement in the next season or so.

Until then, we need to keep it simple and hold onto the ball. With Dearden and Milford forming the new halves combo, we may see some difference in our attacking structure which may change how Macca is required to play.

Last edited:

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
Go back & watch the game closely and with a fair sinking halfback running the show Macca was excellent & I was dumbfounded when he was taken off he was the best player on the field. Up 18-0 and then when taken off we looked lost and NSW scored pretty much as soon as he was taken off.

Put me off Walters as a coach as it seems like he doesn’t have a good feel for the game and is stuck with pre-game plans.
The Maroons were up 8-0 when Macca came off, then NSW scored twice to take a 12-8 break into HT.

I don't remember Macca doing a whole lot in the opening stint. Queensland had all that ball but their only try came through an intercept from Holmes. The only play I recall was Macca missing the tackle which saw Cook make this big line-break.

I do think Hunt's impact was over-stated. The only play I recall him creating was for Oates down the blind-side and Oates mucked it up.

Fast forward the 5 or 6 seasons since then, and he’s just never properly shifted out of, at most, third gear. There was the talk of Smith at the start of 2016(? I think) which prompted him to play some career best footy, but it didn’t last.

With some players it's really easy to tell their seasons apart because form usually fluctuates wildly from season to seaosn. With Macca I don't think his form has changed dramatically since 2013.

There was around an 18 month period from mid-2011 to the end of 2012 where it looked like Macca was gradually improving his game. He started creating more out of dummy half and for a 22-year old it looked like he could really make a fist of the position. Then he just seemingly hit his glass ceiling and has remained that middle of the range player ever since. A solid John Morris style player, but not necessarily a marquee player.

Can’t talk about anyone else, but with the sole exception of Yow Yeh (sob) I’ve been consistent that the entire and infamous ‘class of 2008’ are absolutely bog average NRL players and always have been.
I don't agree that they've always been bog average. Hunt, Gillett, T. Sims & McGuire have all enjoyed periods where they've been among the best in their position and even players like Hoffman, Glenn and Beale have their 15 minutes. Considering the Broncos went into that season expected to struggle, the fact they've still got the highest number of players from that squad in the NRL is a testament to the squad's success.

The issue is that the media and the fans put too much stock in the NYC. If you look at all the top teams from the NYC - Canberra, Wests, Warriors, Penrith etc. none of them were able to take the core from those sides and build a premiership team around them. The closest examples were situations where the NYC talent complimented an established existing core of talent. For example you had Manly winning in 2011 after winning in 2008, Melbourne winning in 2012 with the big three and Souths in 2014 with Burgess and GI.

Essentially if your NYC team can produce half a dozen NRL players it's fantastic, but it can't be expected to deliver a dynasty. Only smart recruitment, good coaching and some good fortune can pave the way to success.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
One particular part of the game, the Maroons were attacking NSW line and they had the numbers on the left. A good opportunity for points if it had went that way.

McCullough throws it back on the inside.

My biggest gripe with him has always been his lack of awareness. He doesn't spot attacking opportunities as well as the other good hookers in the game.

Another example is Round 3 2017. In a rare moment, we were attacking Storm's line. Had them shot on the right, if he passes it right we score and win the game. He goes left.

Another example, GF. He passes it to Parker, he scores. He goes himself.

If he can improve that area of his game, I would be fine with keeping him.

Art Vandelay

QCup Player
Lol! This takes the cake! No way is Baptise worthy of shining McCullough’s shoes. Let’s look at all those that have been rated better than McCullough.

Baptise - went to the raiders and couldn’t crack the starting side. Now a bench replacement for a terrible Granville.

Granville - terrible service, but quick out of dummy half. Relied on Thurston to win a premiership. Now barely able to play 35 mins for his current NRL team.

Parcel - hailed as the new messiah and far better than McCullough. Couldn’t crack the Sea Eagles side. No other club wanted him now plodding along on ESL.
I was recounting my mindset from nearly 10 years ago. I think if Baptiste were given the chance McCullough was we would have been a better side in the Henjack-Griffin years. Your assessment of Parcell is willfully ignorant and makes a strawman argument.

Mister Wright

NRL Player
I was recounting my mindset from nearly 10 years ago. I think if Baptiste were given the chance McCullough was we would have been a better side in the Henjack-Griffin years. Your assessment of Parcell is willfully ignorant and makes a strawman argument.
Baptise is and always has been a hack.

Do tell how Parcell who according to many on this forum should have played ahead of McCullough and the club would be sorrry they let him go is tearing it up in the NRL currently?

soup

State of Origin Rep

Do tell how Parcell who according to many on this forum should have played ahead of McCullough and the club would be sorrry they let him go is tearing it up in the NRL currently?
I don’t think anyone can realistically make that argument as we didn’t have him long enough to prove his worth. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have been sourcing hooker competition though, I’m sure you’ll agree. Macca has played his best footy with his back to the wall.

Last edited:

Foordy

International Rep
Staff

There is a reason Baptise never became any more than am occasional bench player and every club he went to after leaving us

Oh and Parcell isn't even tearing it up in the ESL, lol

soup

State of Origin Rep
There is a reason Baptise never became any more than am occasional bench player and every club he went to after leaving us

Oh and Parcell isn't even tearing it up in the ESL, lol
There’s so many variables as to why he isn’t ‘tearing it up’. I’m not an apologist at all, but from what all the inside sources have said, he treats footy as a secondary motivation. Nothing wrong with that at all. But we shouldn’t be begging for his return, I agree.

There’s such a lack of quality hookers these days, much like halfbacks. I wonder why that is?

Alec

International Rep
Bad luck Baptsite, if only you could have been at a club where you are the only hooker in the squad for 10 years...you'd still have been shit, but you would have played the same number of games as McCullough.

Last edited:

soup

State of Origin Rep
‘My’ rhetorical answer to my own question is that it’s a bloody hard position to play, especially the new age islanders running at you all day while you’re expected to be smart with your passes and game vision, all whilst most likely being a little man defending in the middle.

I’m wondering if the position needs to be re-imagined to sustain the direction league is going. But then, players like Smith, Cook, Farah, Luke (on contract years), McInnes, Friend, Mahoney are performing as little blokes with big vision.

I know I’m not making a good point, but I feel this is a subject worth discussing.

Should the hooker position be reimagined?

heartly87

QCup Player
I wonder how he would go with a decent controlling half who dictates when and where he wants the ball to go? quite often you see him at dummy half looking at our current halves with his arms up like he's asking what's going on.
This has been going on for years. Hunt use to blow up on occasion when Macca would just go the wrong way. There was a year there when I thought those two had real issue with each other.

Macca is not a bad player he is just not the type of player you want playing 80. He does not ask to many questions in offence. So its all just predictable.

People say he had a better game against souths because he ran. My question is did he know what to do when he had an effective run. From my recall he did not look to pass and died with the ball. Stark contrast to his opposing hooker.

I feel he had a good combo with Niko and Granville who both provided a change of pace and added that attacking flair.

Hopefully Turpin seizes his opportunity tonight and offers something that either puts him on our bench or stamps his name next to the 9.

Tom

State of Origin Rep
Didn't someone say he was furious with the person that injured him? Makes sense if he knew they had their eye out for another hooker. If Turpin and Segeyaro fill the gap nicely he may not just waltz on back into the team.

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Player
One particular part of the game, the Maroons were attacking NSW line and they had the numbers on the left. A good opportunity for points if it had went that way.

McCullough throws it back on the inside.

My biggest gripe with him has always been his lack of awareness. He doesn't spot attacking opportunities as well as the other good hookers in the game.

Another example is Round 3 2017. In a rare moment, we were attacking Storm's line. Had them shot on the right, if he passes it right we score and win the game. He goes left.

Another example, GF. He passes it to Parker, he scores. He goes himself.

If he can improve that area of his game, I would be fine with keeping him.
He's also constantly throwing his hands in the air waiting for a call from the halves. I mean.. take some initiative! He just has no idea anymore. If ever

Mister Wright

NRL Player
This has been going on for years. Hunt use to blow up on occasion when Macca would just go the wrong way. There was a year there when I thought those two had real issue with each other.

Macca is not a bad player he is just not the type of player you want playing 80. He does not ask to many questions in offence. So its all just predictable.

People say he had a better game against souths because he ran. My question is did he know what to do when he had an effective run. From my recall he did not look to pass and died with the ball. Stark contrast to his opposing hooker.

I feel he had a good combo with Niko and Granville who both provided a change of pace and added that attacking flair.

Hopefully Turpin seizes his opportunity tonight and offers something that either puts him on our bench or stamps his name next to the 9.
Passed to Boyd one of the times who got tackled. There weren’t many support players on either occasion.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Nekkminnut
I am so damn happy right now. I don't necessarily think Segeyaro is a great player or anything but he offers everything Macca doesn't in speed and genuine attack out of the 9. In a lot of ways I think they'll form a good rotation.

More importantly Macca can't take it easy, he now knows without a doubt Seibold will sign another 9 if he doesn't play his best. I also think Macca will play better with 45-55 minutes a game, he can go harder knowing he doesn't have to play 80.

winslow_wong

State of Origin Captain
bris

Let’s not forget those times when Hodges blatantly pushed Macca out of the way to take over at dummy half. And it wasn’t just to take his dummy half runs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter