PLAYER Andrew McCullough

Tstev92

QCup Player
We had all the momentum today and then the following set after a try Macca takes a scoot from dummy half and spills the ball. The dragons scored after that and changed the game completely. Not great from a rep player with 200+ nrl games under his belt.
Thaiday dropped the ball numerous time in our attempt to gain momentum he's played 300+ plus origin and indernatîonals I think we were let down in many areas

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Interesting enough..... waaay back in 2013, most of us recognised that McCullough needed to take his game to the next level.

It's now 5 years on. It's time to admit he can't. He's already peaked.....and now he's regressing.

WB needs to make a tough call next year if we're to stand a chance of improving on this season.
Yep. Was right there with you mate.

I think the fact that the original thread generated so many pages suggests that both sides of the Macca debate have a point.

He is bog average.

So one side looks at the things he does well and inflate them and the other side looks at his flaws and blows them out of proportion.

He's always been slow off the mark. Not sure exactly why that is news now but whatever.

His defense is a a worry these days as well. I don't care what the stats say. He goes high way too many times, fails to wrap the ball up, puts the team under too much pressure.

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
We had all the momentum today and then the following set after a try Macca takes a scoot from dummy half and spills the ball. The dragons scored after that and changed the game completely.
That...and Kodi's kick through on the 2nd tackle when we had all the momentum. Giving them back the ball then wasn't what we needed to do.

2ndPhase

QCup Player
The book has closed on Macca for me. Turps for 50mins and Kodi for 30mins. Maccas solid yet average approach is no longer enough to keep the next generation waiting. And Turps defence has actually stood up from the few games he played this year. Macca is a legacy from the old narrative. We need to introduce a new character to next years story.

rogerwilco

BRL Player
Andrew McCullough was not playing fully fit this year. However his position is definitely being discussed. I am not saying they are going to get rid of him though. It's certainly a disappointing result, but no one man was to blame. This will certainly give those who want Wayne Bennett gone some powerful ammunition.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I think Macca is more suited playing a Dallas Johnson type role.

I wouldn't mind just having him on the bench and bringing him on when the forwards are tired just to give us those fresh legs in defence.

Teams usually only need about 16 players with the 17th player just there to get some game time.

He's just too slow out of dummy half and as a result, we can't use one of Milford's best weapons in attack.

Fernando

NRL Player
Bris
I can’t see the club making a tough call unfortunately. It just seems as though McCullough is going to be a Bronco for life which is a worry given he’s only 28.

Really there’s not any upside with him (other than like making 55 tackles instead of 45). He’s pretty ordinary, I’d like to see someone else get a run.

Last edited:

Dee

QCup Player
Sydney
I respect and appreciate Maccas place within the team but, he's got to go. We need a much crisper and quicker pass from dummy half and we need speed to exploit slow ruck defense.

Kyall

NRL Player
I think Macca is still a decent enough player he’s just not an 80 minutes player.

Alec

International Rep
I have been complaining about McCullough for so many years now that I've pretty much come to accept that he'll be around until he retires, just like Thaiday, who has been pretty useless for the better part of his career after 2011.

bb_gun

NRL Player
To this day I will never know how that moment just went through to the keeper.

No one talks about that at all. It's all about Ben Hunt's mistake.

Like how Jar Jar gets bagged and nobody says a word about Boss Nass lol. He gets off light. No case to answer.

I think it's just how Rugby League fans are wired. Memories like goldfish. It's not about who makes a mistake in a game.

It's all about who makes the last mistake in a game.
Gave you a like for the Boss Nass reference, well done sir.

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Havent we got worse problems than Macca right now? He isn't going to win a game for us but he won't lose one either
Isn't not trying to lose one of the major reasons we lost in 2015?.

Having a 9 who can be dangerous just helps everyone with that little bit extra time and space.

Alec

International Rep
I'm not convienced Turpin is the long term answer if he really is struggling to even get time in Redcliffe. But then he did look good in his 2 appearances, and he trained quite a bit under Cam Smith too. It definitely might be worth trying to give him more opportunities next year.

Last edited:

winslow_wong

State of Origin Captain
bris
I'm not convienced Turpin is the long term answer if he really is struggling to even get time in Redcliffe. But then he did look good in his 2 appearances, and he trained quite a bit under Cam Smith too. It definitely might be worth trying to give him more opportunities next year.
I think someone on here once said it's hard to look good in qcup because everyone is out for themselves to prove their worth. So maybe in a more team and professional environment Turpin might be able to shine more.

Old Mate

NRL Player
I’ve probably been the biggest Macca fan since day dot but now, ugh. If he’s cheap enough keep him around in case of injuries. Have Bird or Turpin fight it out for his spot with Niko off the bench or at fullback depending on what we do there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter