PLAYER Andrew McCullough

Rico

QCup Player
A worthy discussion point fellas but i’ll Hang in the keep Macca camp and put it down to a shit season. I still think he’s our best option although agree the upside is questionable.

Yep Macca had a stinker but we got wacked from 53 missed tackles, 13 errors and sub 70% completion rate and piss weak try line d. We’ve got bigger problems than Macca IMO.

PNG Broncos fan88

QCup Player
Port Moresby
A worthy discussion point fellas but i’ll Hang in the keep Macca camp and put it down to a shit season. I still think he’s our best option although agree the upside is questionable.

Yep Macca had a stinker but we got wacked from 53 missed tackles, 13 errors and sub 70% completion rate and piss weak try line d. We’ve got bigger problems than Macca IMO.

It all went downhill when he did his stop-start 2metre waddle before spilling the ball, putting his team mates on the back foot when Dragons started scoring.

Maroon4life

QCup Player
I don’t think anyone actually believes it was maccas fault for the loss but it’s been clear for a long time that Macca is the epitome of mediocre footballers. He excels in no area and has always had glaring flaws in the position he plays. Any young promising kid would have been a better option than him as early as 5 years ago.

He seems to get the good guy award from our fans though.

I understand we can’t have the best players in every position due to salary cap management but I can’t help but feel we’ve taken the budget player in the wrong position for the last 8 years.

Last edited:

Dash

NRL Captain
Brisbane
In a side that's conceded over 500 points in a season, we blame the most reliable defender in our team?
We conceded 500 points because we have zero ruck control in the middle of the field, so is he really as good a defender as we've given him credit for? He deserves at least part of the blame.

On a different note, Damien Cook has made more tackles per game than Macca this year. The "he does too much defence" excuse throughout this thread (and many others) is null and void.

Last edited:

johnny plath

QCup Player
me included, seems only limited support for macca based on his mediocrity and overstated value to the team. So if the outrageous happens and management decide its time to go in a new direction, who's available to replace him, if for whatever reason powers that be don't think Turpin is ready/or the man for the job? Apparently Danny Levi is on the nose at Knights.. has talent but apparently wrong attitude... maybe our super coach could save him.... Any other names available genuinely or rumoured??

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
We conceded 500 points because we have zero ruck control in the middle of the field, so is he really as good a defender as we've given him credit for? He deserves at least part of the blame.

On a different note, Damien Cook has made more tackles per game than Macca this year. The "he does too much defence" excuse throughout this thread (and many others) is null and void.
Where are those stats from?

Every stat place I can find has McCullough ahead on average tackles, but most importantly has way lower missed tackles. Fox Sports has Cook at 25 games, 48 missed tackles, with McCullough on 22 games, 28 missed tackles.

We conceded 500 points because, in the games that we lost heavily, the single biggest contributing factor was possession. Just like it was yesterday.

McHunt

NRL Player
Sunshine Coast
me included, seems only limited support for macca based on his mediocrity and overstated value to the team. So if the outrageous happens and management decide its time to go in a new direction, who's available to replace him, if for whatever reason powers that be don't think Turpin is ready/or the man for the job? Apparently Danny Levi is on the nose at Knights.. has talent but apparently wrong attitude... maybe our super coach could save him.... Any other names available genuinely or rumoured??
I like the look of James Segeyaro. Ripped us apart every time he got the ball last time he played us, and that was from the bench.

Off contract next year, I read somewhere. Might be wrong.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
Seems we've defended better in games without him though.
Because our ball handling and discipline was far better in those games. And before anyone blames McCullough's passing for the errors, don't bother.

Finals round 1 (Dragons), 13 errors, 47 missed tackles. Lose 48-18.
Round 25, 4 errors, 32 missed tackes. Win 48-16.
Round 24, 3 errors, 42 missed tackles. Win 22-8.

With such an inexperienced team, mentally we're simply unable to recover from our errors and back up defensively against the opposition's run of possession.

Offensively, we're fine. Everyone can see how dangerous we are when we control the football. McCullough isn't the flashiest hooker but he is way down the list on things we need to improve.

Dash

NRL Captain
Brisbane
Where are those stats from?

Every stat place I can find has McCullough ahead on average tackles, but most importantly has way lower missed tackles. Fox Sports has Cook at 25 games, 48 missed tackles, with McCullough on 22 games, 28 missed tackles.

We conceded 500 points because, in the games that we lost heavily, the single biggest contributing factor was possession. Just like it was yesterday.
Fox sports and an app I've got both have Cook ahead on tackles per game.

Possession wasn't our problem yesterday, piss poor defence was. The dragons only needed one set on our line to score each of their first 4 tries.

GCBRONCO

International Rep
Gold Coast
Morkel makes a good point, our ability to complete sets has been as shakey as our defence this season, as important as defence is your making it a serious difficult task when your completing only 68 percent of sets, especially when the errors are made down your half. As far as our defence being better with or with McCullough, I don't buy that, it's been seriously inconsistent all season generally across the board with or without him playing.

I'm not arguing that McCullough isn't contributing to the problem either(I think he has dropped off defensively a bit from recent seasons), I just don't think he should made the scapegoat here, plenty of pissweak armgrab miss-tackles and lack of urgency shown across the field at times that McCullough isn't even near that happened too frequently that contributed to soft points and metres for the opposition. It's something that needs to be addressed across the board. I have seen suggestions of Kodi replacing him there, if you think McCullough is bad, imagine how easy a target he would be if he had to play long periods of time there.

Last edited:

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Because our ball handling and discipline was far better in those games. And before anyone blames McCullough's passing for the errors, don't bother.

Finals round 1 (Dragons), 13 errors, 47 missed tackles. Lose 48-18.
Round 25, 4 errors, 32 missed tackes. Win 48-16.
Round 24, 3 errors, 42 missed tackles. Win 22-8.

With such an inexperienced team, mentally we're simply unable to recover from our errors and back up defensively against the opposition's run of possession.

Offensively, we're fine. Everyone can see how dangerous we are when we control the football. McCullough isn't the flashiest hooker but he is way down the list on things we need to improve.
Surely as a leader of the squad, him being in the team would have us handling batter and having better discipline?

Maybe his shit service puts our forwards under pressure, makes them more frustrated, more poor ball, more errors?

Macca is an okay, 30-40 minute defensive hooker, that's it. His defence is nothing incredible either, we get run over straight down the middle time and time again. He's the worst 9 we've ever had that's actually stuck around long term.
When ever he is missing from the team, we miss absolutely nothing. That's all the proof you need. Take Cook out of Souths, Smith out of Melbourne, they look like different teams. Take Macca out of the Broncos, we've generally looked better every single time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter