Anthony Milford Discussion

Returning to this and last year's discussion on obesity and BMI, and whether it affects certain demographics more than others, here is the result of a genetic study that could explain a lot in regards to Milford's "Obesity". In Milford's case, it would put him 5-6 Kgs heavier than he would otherwise be... and well out of the "Technically Obese" label put on him.

LINK: https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/07/...ene-helped-samoans-conquer-the-south-pacific/

Of course, this doesn't absolve him of potentially bad diet habits, but it will hopefully make people think before posting whatever comes to their mind based on a picture from a player in a particularly unflattering posture...

I understand that Polynesian's are generally heavy set people, this is no blight against the entire culture / race. I just think any statistics like that go out the window when talking about professional athletes, unless you're saying that because Milford is Samoan he is physically incapable of lowering his Body Fat % to a respectable level. He may have to work 5% harder than a non-Polynesian player does to achieve the same fitness levels due to whatever inherent issues the Polynesians have, but he's still in the same boat as everyone else.

Ben Roberts is Samoan, no?

Ben+Roberts+Melbourne+Storm+Training+Session+wBnUiJhygfNl.jpg

I understand that Polynesian's are generally heavy set people, this is no blight against the entire culture / race. I just think any statistics like that go out the window when talking about professional athletes, unless you're saying that because Milford is Samoan he is physically incapable of lowering his Body Fat % to a respectable level. He may have to work 5% harder than a non-Polynesian player does to achieve the same fitness levels due to whatever inherent issues the Polynesians have, but he's still in the same boat as everyone else.

Let's not forget the specimen that is israel Folau.

Not trying to brag here, but I was 97kg 5 months ago (after intentionally bulking to that weight to see the strength gains: wasn't worth it) and am now under 80kg at a decent BF. If I can do it as a regular dude who just lifts weights and counts calories then surely a professional athlete with an army of dietitians and trainers can do better...

Not trying to brag here, but I was 97kg 5 months ago (after intentionally bulking to that weight to see the strength gains: wasn't worth it) and am now under 80kg at a decent BF. If I can do it as a regular dude who just lifts weights and counts calories then surely a professional athlete with an army of dietitians and trainers can do better...

Im afraid like most issues , it comes down to choices. If he wants to be the best he can be , he needs to make better choices. He should be one of or if not the fittest in our team

And considering all the training he does along with all that professional help one must wonder how much is he actually indulging to still be pudgy.

I don't know about soft drinks, in that last photo Milf looks like he has eaten a couple of the training balls.

If any clown brings up BMI as a reason for obesity in relation to rugby league they should tell the moderators to disable their account. Dead set clowns with zero clue about high level body sports science.

Shut this thread. Let the guy get back to full time training and see what he comes up with.

If any clown brings up BMI as a reason for obesity in relation to rugby league they should tell the moderators to disable their account. Dead set clowns with zero clue about high level body sports science.

Shut this thread. Let the guy get back to full time training and see what he comes up with.
Like last year?

If youve ever had a shoulder reco you would understand how much it restricts training for a solid period of time.

But he didn't have a shoulder reco before last season...

If youve ever had a shoulder reco you would understand how much it restricts training for a solid period of time.
I don’t doubt that for a second.
However, 33 year old Slater looked in pretty good shape after 2 shoulder reconstructions back to back and 2 years out.

If anything Milford is eating too much taro. We all know the Samoans love a bit of taro.

Well, Ben Roberts is 10 cms taller than Milford, and obviously doesn't need to bulk as much as a 175 cms dude. He may also not be affected by the genetic predisposition. You only need to look at Kodi Nikorima, who weighs 5 kgs less than Milford and is 3 cms shorter, to see how easily he is pushed out of the way defending in the line.

We also don't know how much more work someone with a genetic predisposition needs to do, to eliminate the additional BMI. It may not be linear at all, and could be 25% for example, which definitely is not the same boat as anyone else.

I honestly couldn't give a **** about appearances, especially not when based on unflattering pictures from a player who had surgery in the off season and only just returned to limited training.
I'll wait to see what he shows on the field, before I start bagging him out for being "pudgy".

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • Jazza
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Dazza 92
  • Broncorob
  • Nerd
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • LittleDavey
  • winslow_wong
  • simplythebest
  • broncsgoat
  • Brotherdu
  • Strop
  • Midean
  • Skathen
  • Battler
  • ezpz
  • I bleed Maroon
... and 45 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.