NEWS Anthony Seibold promotes Matthew Lodge to Brisbane’s leadership group

Foordy

International Rep
  • Staff
Anthony Seibold promotes Matthew Lodge to Brisbane’s leadership group

Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail

Matt Lodge has been promoted to Brisbane’s leadership group as the NSW Origin hopeful moves a step closer to the club captaincy and a $1 million contract upgrade at the Broncos.
The Courier-Mail can reveal Broncos coach Anthony Seibold has formally added Lodge to his senior decision-making core in an emphatic sign of the prop’s transformation from wild child to respected leader.

Now the Broncos are ready to further reward Lodge, who is set to shun interest from Parramatta, his rivals on Saturday night, by inking a two or three-year extension with the club.

Lodge’s football career and life was at the crossroads four years ago when he was arrested at gunpoint by police following the infamous New York rampage that saw him spend two weeks in Rikers Island prison.

But Lodge’s behaviour at the Broncos in the past two years has been so exemplary it has put him in Brisbane’s leadership group, the NSW Origin frame and within reach of the most lucrative payday of his NRL career.

Lodge joins the likes of Alex Glenn, Matt Gillett, Andrew McCullough and skipper Darius Boyd in Brisbane’s player-power base.

“I’ve made the decision to put Matt into our leadership group,” Seibold revealed.

“About three weeks ago, I made the decision to add Matt to the group.

“It was in the week of the Manly game, because Andrew McCullough went down injured, and I decided to add ‘Lodgey’ to the group.

“I first met Matt when he was 18 in the under-20s at Melbourne, I’ve known him a long time and coached him in the Junior Kangaroos, so I’ve seen his development.

“I made the decision based on his actions on and off the field.

“He is someone that our middle-forwards look up to. We have a lot of young players at the club and while Matt is only 23, he has a maturity beyond his years and the young guys really respect him.”

Newcastle tabled a lucrative deal for Lodge last season but the 117kg prop stayed with the Broncos, signing a basic one-year contract out of loyalty to the Brisbane bosses who helped him through his off-field ordeal.

As part of Lodge’s 12-month extension, the Broncos agreed to include a two-year option in his favour which he is expected to take up before June 30.

A bumper performance against the Eels will see Lodge clinch his NSW debut for Origin II in Perth on Sunday week and Seibold is confident the once-troubled bookend will not leave the Broncos.

“I’m really confident Matt will stay,” Seibold said.

“I know there is interest in Matt but we feel as though a new contract for Matt will be done sooner rather than later.

“We are a long way down the line. We are very confident of keeping ‘Lodgey’.

“Brisbane as a city has been a good fit for him and the Broncos as a club have been a good fit.

“He has played his best football over the past 18 months. We do understand there are attractive offers for him elsewhere but we expect things to be finalised sooner rather than later.”

source: Courier Mail

Mustafur

BRL Player
Sounds positive.
It would also be a good sign if he didn’t buy a property in Sydney as has been rumoured.
Being from Sydney my Self they said he bought a House in Rousehill which to me sounds like where you would live if your going to play for Parra or Penrith, I hope it's a second house thing if true.

Jason Simmons

NRL Player
Sounds positive.
It would also be a good sign if he didn’t buy a property in Sydney as has been rumoured.
How many times have we heard players buying property in Brisbane? GI? Cody Walker?

Remember when DCE bought a house on the Gold Coast?

I wouldn’t read too much into property purchases. What sort of property is it? Is it a rental slum, with Lodge looking to become a slum lord? Is it a shoe box apartment with Lodge getting his foot in the door as a property investor?

I’ve got a studio apartment at Ashgrove, 2 streets away from Red Hill and I haven’t set foot in the place since I looked at it, before I put a contract on it in 2012...

Last edited:

McHunt

QCup Player
Sunshine Coast
Lodge joins the likes of Alex Glenn, Matt Gillett, Andrew McCullough and skipper Darius Boyd in Brisbane’s player-power base.
Fucking hell, look at our brains trust:

Matt Gillett: flying under the radar all season
Alex Glenn: rumoured to be leaving.
Andrew McCullough: one foot out the door
Darius Boyd: the bad smell.

There's something very wrong when our star playmaker - the highest paid of all time - isn't in there, and isn't rated capable of calling shots. I keep saying: Milford should be captain, and any reason given against that has to be taken as a mark of no confidence in him.

Foordy

International Rep

There's something very wrong when our star playmaker - the highest paid of all time - isn't in there, and isn't rated capable of calling shots. I keep saying: Milford should be captain, and any reason given against that has to be taken as a mark of no confidence in him.
more likely Seibs and Bennett before him want Milf to concentrate on his own game, rather than having to worry about the rest of the team.

theshed

NRL Player

I’m of the belief that Milford should be a co-captain with a forward. The forward should be Glenn or Lodge, and they should do most of the captains commitments. Like Matt Scott and Thurston.

On an unrelated note, why aren’t we paying Thurston to mentor Milford?

BroncsFan

NRL Player

I thought Milf was in the leadership group... wasn't there an article last year where Bennett went through the leadership group and indicated that Roberts and Milf were both in it??

McHunt

QCup Player
Sunshine Coast
more likely Seibs and Bennett before him want Milf to concentrate on his own game, rather than having to worry about the rest of the team.
Yep, like I said, he's not being rated as someone capable of calling the shots. Yet, his role IS to call the shots.
- Merged

I’m of the belief that Milford should be a co-captain with a forward. The forward should be Glenn or Lodge, and they should do most of the captains commitments. Like Matt Scott and Thurston.

Not sure about the co-captaining thing. Prefer the captain/vice captain, myself. If the captain is any good he should pick himself.

The problem is no one is standing out. Oates is our MVP, but he's too far away from the action, and no one is even putting his name forward. Milford is the most obvious candidate but I don't think I've ever seen anyone suggest him, and some even wanted him gone. There's something to be said for having a captain that everyone else boos, I guess. That would be Lodge.
- Merged

Not sure about the co-captaining thing. Prefer the captain/vice captain, myself. If the captain is any good he should pick himself.

The problem is no one is standing out. Oates is our MVP, but he's too far away from the action, and no one is even putting his name forward. Milford is the most obvious candidate but I don't think I've ever seen anyone suggest him, and some even wanted him gone. There's something to be said for having a captain that everyone else boos, I guess. Like Wally, Gordy and Hodges. That would be Lodge.

Last edited:

Dazza 92

QCup Player
....im delighted to hear about this potential contract news; its great to see Lodge not only show his commitment to himself, his team mates and his coach, but also he is showing the type of loyalty that Brisbane showed him. In 2-3 years time he will be the natural leader of the best forward pack in club history and one of the best in League history...

Stu_9

QCup Player
Rumor has it Lodge has been selected for the blues.
Anyone else find it funny that no media is commenting on how many players we have in origin this year? All I keep hearing is that the Rorters and Souffs are struggling due to amount of origin players through this period. Add to that the injuries of Offa, Bird and Dearden.

BroncsFan

NRL Player
Rumor has it Lodge has been selected for the blues.
Anyone else find it funny that no media is commenting on how many players we have in origin this year? All I keep hearing is that the Rorters and Souffs are struggling due to amount of origin players through this period. Add to that the injuries of Offa, Bird and Dearden.
And we will have to play the sharks in rd 16 who are a top 4 caliber team with only Josh Morris in origin yet we could be missing Gillett, Coates, Fifi, Haas, Lodge, Offa and maybe even Milf if Qld lose game 2

Alec

International Rep
And we will have to play the sharks in rd 16 who are a top 4 caliber team with only Josh Morris in origin yet we could be missing Gillett, Coates, Fifi, Haas, Lodge, Offa and maybe even Milf if Qld lose game 2
We definitely need to win against the Eels and the Knights then. We play the Knights straight after Origin (I think), they could be resting Pearce/Ponga.

Last edited:

Accept

NRL Player
Sawtell
We definitely need to win against the Eels and the Knights then. We play the Knights straight after Origin (I think), they could be resting Pearce/Ponga.
They play them six days after Origin. Those two will be playing, the game is going to be a sellout.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.