Anthony Seibold wipes Wayne Bennett’s legacy from Red Hill

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...l/news-story/0a85094f8a958fffe1ea4940a37cbd66

New Brisbane Broncos coach Anthony Seibold wipes Wayne Bennett’s legacy from Red Hill

The NRL’s spiciest rivalry – Wayne Bennett versus Anthony Seibold – has ignited with the new Broncos coach emphatically wiping away any memories of the Bennett era at Red Hill.

Blindside can reveal Seibold has ordered a series of key buzzwords, implemented by Bennett, to be taken down from the walls of the club’s state-of-the-art gymnasium at their $27 million headquarters.

When the gym was opened 12 months ago, Bennett had huge words placed on its freshly-painted walls, including “Above the Line” and “Time to be a Bronco”.

But Seibold has brought with him a new set of motivational words, including “Pressure and Effort” and “Burn the Boats”.

The latter term is a reference to famous commander Hernan Cortes, who ordered his troops to destroy their ships during the Spanish conquest of Mexico in 1519. Cortes’ theory is that his men had no choice but to look forward to victory and Seibold is said to be a fan of the motto.

Before last week’s trial against Wynnum Manly, Seibold spoke candidly about the culture he is trying to build at Brisbane and admits catchphrases do not guarantee success.

“Culture is a bit of a buzzword but for me it’s your actions and it’s what you do,” he said.

“You can have your fancy words and talk about that as your culture in a flash building, but it’s your actions.

“We need to see actions from staff and players and so on, that’s your culture.”

Bennett has made his own changes at Seibold’s former club Souths, ditching the loud techno music that now features at Red Hill.

Strap yourselves in for Round 8 when Bennett’s Bunnies and Seibold’s Broncos square off at ANZ Stadium on May 2.

BRONCOS stars are under no illusions about the standards being set by new coach Seibold.

Blindside understands Seibold gave Brisbane players a post-match bake in the dressing sheds after their scrappy trial defeat of Wynnum Manly last Saturday night.

Seibold’s spray was audible to those outside the sheds, with the Broncos coach said to be unhappy with the side’s control and option-taking against a second-tier outfit.

“He sets high standards,” prop Matt Lodge said.

“It will take a while to build on what he does.

“Seibs will hold us accountable to what we do wrong. It’s a bit tough when there are 25 players rotating through the game, but he still holds those high standards.

“Hopefully with a full team this week (against the Titans), we can execute.”

THE Broncos have gone on a public relations blitz in a bid to turnaround the club’s battered image following last year’s Wayne Bennett saga.

The famous Broncos brand copped a hammering last year during the club’s messy split with long-time coach Bennett.

Last year started with the Broncos being slammed for their arrogant handling of Matt Lodge’s return and finished with Bennett destabilising the richest club in the NRL until he was sacked in December.

But the Broncos have got on the front foot this season, flying some of the NRL’s top journalists and television commentators to Brisbane to smoke the peace pipe.

The charm offensive has also filtered through to the playing group, who were remarkably friendly and positive with reporters during a full-team media session on Tuesday.

Bennett’s public disdain of the media spread through his players, but new coach Seibold has had a more relaxed approach and it is showing.

Still think its sad that a lot of the nrl media are still butt-hurt at wb. he has done a lot wrong but a hell of a lot right not just for broncos but the nrl and young men in general. But nearly every article about broncos has a thinly veiled swipe at Bennett.

media just cant see past there bruised egos it seems.

Still think its sad that a lot of the nrl media are still butt-hurt at wb. he has done a lot wrong but a hell of a lot right not just for broncos but the nrl and young men in general. But nearly every article about broncos has a thinly veiled swipe at Bennett.

media just cant see past there bruised egos it seems.

The opening sentence of the article says it all really. "The NRL’s spiciest rivalry". Manufactured drivel.

Not wishing to piss on Siebs' bonfire but Cortes was a hellish example to pin your colours to. The guy was responsible for millions of deaths as he raped and pillaged and robbed South and Central America.

Not wishing to piss on Siebs' bonfire but Cortes was a hellish example to pin your colours to. The guy was responsible for millions of deaths as he raped and pillaged and robbed South and Central America.

I also found it bazaar that he uses a cortes quote.
I ain't no lefty tree hugger who is politically correct and all that shit, however cortes isn't the sort of bloke i would be looking for inspiration from.

I admire the sentiment behind it, but there has to be someone better than Cortes to use as a never say die attitude. He wasn't exactly the kind of guy that I'd want leading my expedition or a football club either. Besides, the ship burning is likely a myth and wasn't accepted as a fact until some 250 years later. The conquistadors have been somewhat distorted by history, with their reputations first lionized and then admonished.
Then again, most historical figures have had the same done and it gets worse the further back you go. Alexander is a classic example, where his victories are celebrated and the deaths behind them ignored.
Better to find context within the society you live in. Fred Hollows is a great example of a man facing death and staring it down for the betterment of others, Bernie Banton another. They understood the greater work lay beyond personal gain, to the betterment of others.
A sporting context could surely be found in the histories of the Broncos, with lockyer playing with a busted shoulder to guide his team home, knowing he won't play in the subsequent. Upon reflection though, it's hard to make them into 3-word slogans.

Then again, most historical figures have had the same done and it gets worse the further back you go. Alexander is a classic example, where his victories are celebrated and the deaths behind them ignored.

Isn't this kinda what happens in the NRL too? You win the premiership and laugh at all the shitty sides that failed and lost.

Anyone know who theses jurnos and commentators they flew up?

Anyone know who theses jurnos and commentators they flew up?
I think they were eluding to both Paul Kent and buzz rothfield for starters

Paul Kent wrote that fantastic article least week about Seibold after meeting with him at Red Hill and Rothfield was at Broncos training this week, so expect an editorial from him soon

Personally, I like it. I have respect for Paul Kent and I think he's a very smart man. I just didn't like his anti Bennett stance and when he'd always look to spin everything to the negative with Wayne - same with Rothfield. But I can understand their position with respect to who Bennett was towards them, the amount of bones they probably tried to throw to him behind the scenes only to always get nothing. Would be tough to operate and remain optimistic to that ego..

Rothfield is still hard to digest, his blatant bias is just too much to handle and therefore I can never respect anything he says from an objective journalist stand point.

But Kent is usually pretty objective. Often to his own detriment. He calls things like they are and has the games' best interests at heart in most scenarios. He's not afraid to take the position of least popularity if he believes strongly enough. And that I can respect

So yes, I'm comfortable with the new era of Broncos positive articles. It has to have an effect on culture, player mentality towards fans and media, sponsorship and overall success.

I admire the sentiment behind it, but there has to be someone better than Cortes to use as a never say die attitude. He wasn't exactly the kind of guy that I'd want leading my expedition or a football club either. Besides, the ship burning is likely a myth and wasn't accepted as a fact until some 250 years later. The conquistadors have been somewhat distorted by history, with their reputations first lionized and then admonished.
Better to find context within the society you live in. Fred Hollows is a great example of a man facing death and staring it down for the betterment of others, Bernie Banton another. They understood the greater work lay beyond personal gain, to the betterment of others.
A sporting context could surely be found in the histories of the Broncos, with lockyer playing with a busted shoulder to guide his team home, knowing he won't play in the subsequent. Upon reflection though, it's hard to make them into 3-word slogans.
Sort of similar to how Australian folklore idolise and put on a pedestal the criminal, bushranger / outlaw behaviour of Ned Kelly.

As it is, Kelly is more often spoken about with the same admiration as someone like Sir Edmund Barton, but if it were to happen today, he’d likely be thrown in the same sentence as Martin Bryant.

I think they were eluding to both Paul Kent and buzz rothfield for starters

Paul Kent wrote that fantastic article least week about Seibold after meeting with him at Red Hill and Rothfield was at Broncos training this week, so expect an editorial from him soon

Personally, I like it. I have respect for Paul Kent and I think he's a very smart man. I just didn't like his anti Bennett stance and when he'd always look to spin everything to the negative with Wayne - same with Rothfield. But I can understand their position with respect to who Bennett was towards them, the amount of bones they probably tried to throw to him behind the scenes only to always get nothing. Would be tough to operate and remain optimistic to that ego..

Rothfield is still hard to digest, his blatant bias is just too much to handle and therefore I can never respect anything he says from an objective journalist stand point.

But Kent is usually pretty objective. Often to his own detriment. He calls things like they are and has the games' best interests at heart in most scenarios. He's not afraid to take the position of least popularity if he believes strongly enough. And that I can respect

So yes, I'm comfortable with the new era of Broncos positive articles. It has to have an effect on culture, player mentality towards fans and media, sponsorship and overall success.
Alluding, elude means to evade, escape, avoid capture or danger etc. They seem to get mixed up as much as your and you're even though not used as frequently.

brisbane-broncos-leagues-club-4-1030x687.jpg

Wiped it?

Unread

Active Now

• Allo
  • winslow_wong
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.