Anthony Seibolds top five challenges as Brisbane Broncos coach

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
Anthony Seibold’s top five challenges as Brisbane Broncos coach

Anthony Seibold faces one of the toughest jobs in Australian sport as he officially takes the Broncos hot seat and spearheads a daunting life after Wayne Bennett.
Replacing Bennett is rugby league’s equivalent to batting after Bradman but his task is amplified by the explosive machinations that have led to Bennett’s demise and Seibold’s rise to power at Red Hill.
The Broncos are a political hotbed and these are five challenges Seibold must address next season to return Brisbane to their premiership-winning glory days.
460342f2b350e250356095be8aff0807

Anthony Seibold has one of the toughest jobs in Australian sport.
1. WIN OVER THE QUEENSLAND PEOPLE

There was never any middle ground with Bennett.
Yes he had his haters but for every critic, there were twice as many Queenslanders who worshipped the man who put the Broncos on the map with their maiden premiership in 1992.
By comparison, Seibold is a Neville Nobody.
While he is a proud Rockhampton boy, Seibold is not widely known to Queenslanders and could walk down Queen Street Mall without attracting many second glances.
As the state’s flagship sporting team, the Broncos are constantly under the microscope and their coach must be as much an ambassador for the Queensland people as a tactician.
Seibold’s job at the Broncos will be infinitely easier if he strikes a chord with the common man – Brisbane’s army of fans.
71fed37bd13271cf779cb9f210caa700

Wayne Bennett had both fans and detractors.
2. GET A HALFBACK

THE Broncos will not break the longest title drought in their history, now spanning 12 years, until they find a champion playmaker.
Allan Langer was Brisbane’s halfback during their golden years and while the much-maligned Shane Perry was the No.7 in their most recent premiership in 2006, he had a pretty handy halves partner in Darren Lockyer.
Kodi Nikorima has shown some nice touches at halfback but the jury remains out on whether he can enter the same playmaking stratosphere as the likes of Johnathan Thurston and Cooper Cronk.
If Nikorima struggles to become a dominant shot-caller this year, Seibold must raid the player market or unearth a young gun within to find Brisbane’s next great halfback.
dc49c2ace8892de2bdd06cf2614ca505

The jury is out on Kodi Nikorima.
3. IGNITE THE MILF

ANTHONY Milford is the only $1 million player in Brisbane’s history.
Seibold has to take Milford to a level where he is so consistently dominant he becomes a contender for the Dally M Medal.
At age 24, Milford has played 143 first-grade games and Seibold inherits the playmaker just as he is about to enter the prime of his NRL career. No one has ever questioned Milford’s natural talent, but the Queensland Origin ace has struggled for on-field consistency and there have been queries about his off-field commitment to training.
In his maiden year at Souths in 2018, Seibold extracted the best of Rabbitohs halves Cody Walker and Adam Reynolds, who combined brilliantly to catapult the rampaging Rabbitohs into the top four.
Walker and Reynolds thrived on Seibold’s fresh game plans spearheaded by rapid-fire ball movement, and Milford has the skill set to relish an up-tempo style.
Shy by nature, Milford had a good rapport with Bennett and Seibold must find a way to tap into his psyche.
524ba716ab2c3d778b490a121ddabede

Anthony Milford must fire for the Broncos to fire.
4. PLUG THE HOLES

SEIBOLD was lauded for the attacking enterprise he brought to Souths last season but he needs to sort out Brisbane’s defence, and pronto.
The Broncos had the worst defence of the top-eight teams in 2018, leaking a whopping 500 points at almost 21 points per game.
Most premiership sides concede between 12 and 16 points per game.
Factor in Brisbane conceding a woeful 48 points in their season-ending semi-final debacle against the visiting Dragons and it’s clear the Broncos need to find a harder edge without the ball to be a legitimate title contender.
5. HEALING OLD-BOY WOUNDS

SEIBOLD desperately needs the support of Brisbane’s club legends to ensure a harmonious beginning.
Several greats such as Chris Johns, Glenn Lazarus and Gorden Tallis are filthy over the interview process for Bennett’s successor, labelling it a “sham” and believe favourite son Kevin Walters was treated with disrespect.
The last thing the relatively inexperienced Seibold needs is a posse of big-name Broncos greats firing bullets from a distance and destabilising the club as he tries to deliver Brisbane’s seventh premiership.
Seibold knows many of Brisbane’s past stars as a member of the club’s lower-grades in the early 1990s. He must reach out to the Broncos’ Old Boys immediately to secure the backing of the men who spilt blood for the club.
https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...h/news-story/9f7468af44b276894366864447203761

Last edited:
I wondered that to. What does everyone think Alf will do?

Seibold would be silly to let Alf go at least straight away.
It will be interesting to see his mindset but he will need Alf to break the ice with the squad.

Seibold in Bris - now with the players. Training rescheduled from 8.00am to this afternoon.

Number 4 IMO is what really hurt us the most in 2018 and really was disappointing how it went to crap from the previous 15-17 seasons. Sure we still had the ability to score the necessary points to win matches(still room for improvement don't get me wrong), but when your putting yourself in a position where your leaking metres from not completing tackles, poor attempted tackles and guilty of letting the opposition have too much movement and poor positioning of players in general then your really not giving yourself the best opportunity to win those tight, tough matches.

Broncs training at 1.00pm. Devlin, Gentle and Cross amongst others coming. JD??

Broncs training at 1.00pm. Devlin, Gentle and Cross amongst others coming. JD??
Apparently he was given leave and is yet to decide. Given Furner's position at souths needs to be filled he may end up there

I'm not a massive fan of McCullough, I think he is average at best......but, given what seibold was able to do with Cook last year, I wonder if his influence may help Andrew become the player we all hoped he could be.

A bit part of the reason I say this is because we all know McCullough will be given first shot at the starting hooker spot, and rightly so I suppose.

I'm not a massive fan of McCullough, I think he is average at best......but, given what seibold was able to do with Cook last year, I wonder if his influence may help Andrew become the player we all hoped he could be.

A bit part of the reason I say this is because we all know McCullough will be given first shot at the starting hooker spot, and rightly so I suppose.

like or dislike Macca, he hasn’t changed at all since he debuted 10 years ago, under 3 different club coaches, and an origin coach.

Whatever you think of Macca, you can’t say he isn’t consistent. We already know exactly what Andrew McCulloughs 2019 will be.

The only challenge he has is win. You win and no one will give a **** what you do to get the job done.
Biggest problem for Seibold at the moment will be that he is at least 4 weeks behind schedule in the pre season compared to other clubs.

like or dislike Macca, he hasn’t changed at all since he debuted 10 years ago, under 3 different club coaches, and an origin coach.

Whatever you think of Macca, you can’t say he isn’t consistent. We already know exactly what Andrew McCulloughs 2019 will be.

I think you will be probably be right. But it's hard to say unequivocally that he won't improve without actually seeing how next year plans out. You could say the same thing about a few of our other players, hell Darius might even come out firing, he had never played for anyone other than Bennett throughout his professional career.

Likewise there is a chance that some of our players may not flourish under Seibold. I dare say our younger players are at most risk of falling off somewhat.

Last edited:

Active Now

• MrMoore
  • Strop
  • Morkel
  • Jazza
  • Yem
  • Broncorob
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Allo
  • ezpz
  • Rookie Alan
  • Palmer Wapau Fanclub
  • Sproj
  • Brotherdu
  • Midean
  • Spooky1013
  • winslow_wong
  • Battler
  • bert_lifts
  • BroncosFan_Corey
... and 36 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.