Are the Maroons Too Old?

You know what they say about broken clocks, they're at least right twice a day.

The end of an era is certainly dawning. Originally I thought the squad would have until 2017 before they had to really worry about a new era but I think next year will see a lot of new blood in camp. It won't be like 2001 which was a reaction the 56-16 drubbing but I can see a few players being overlooked based on future potential.

I still think Origin III is in the Maroons bag. It isn't as one-sided as the bookies would have you believe, I think this NSW squad is really onto something but I think the likes of GI, Hodges, JT, Cronk, Scott, Smith, Myles, Thaiday & Parker have one last big win in them before they begin to really show their age.

It's going to be interesting to see what changes occur next year. Of course Hodges is gone which should mean that Chambers/Gagai will play in the backs and I can't see Lillyman being retained after this series with the likes of Napa & Korbin coming through.

However, there's got to be more than a few changes.

And is the DCE experiment truly over?

As chaotic as it looks, I'm actually looking forward to these changes and I think the next few series will bring back that unpredicibility factor that makes Origin so exciting. While I'd much rather see Queensland win than see them lose in an entertaining fashion, I do think a few more series success will add to the emotion of the situation.

DCE has a lot to offer IMO, he didn't play well in game 2 but the more you watch that game you can see that the timing issues are because he likes his support deeper giving him time to do his thing. His runners were clearly not used to his style hence the stop start clunky moves.

1. Inglis, Holmes
2. Lee, Kahu, Maranta
3. Chambers, Copley,
4. Gagai, Kahu, Moga
5. Oates, Vidot, Holmes
6. Milford, Morgan, Elgey
7. Hunt, DCE, Sandow
8. McGuire, Napa, Perrett, Wallace, Offa
9. Friend, McCullough, Segeyaro, Granville
10. Sims, Molo, Napa
11. Papalii, Grievsmuhl
12. Guerra, Gillett, Oates
13. McQueen, Arrow

off the top of my head, that's our future there. Who would you have already bought in? What a shame JYY, Folau and Taylor haven't kicked on for varying reasons.

Sproj I would add Moses Mbye to the list of halves, we look well served in that area.

People were saying our 2006 squad wad too old ... But the continued winning.

I dont necessarily think they are too old ... But i think that after our streak ended last year, we should have gradually started ushering in our next generation.

and who shall be the ones ushered in?

3-4 yrs ago I said that there is a great disparity between NSW newer generation and QLD's.

Who is the new Nate Myles.....Cam Smith......Outside back.....wingers.....back rowers? NSW are overloaded with exciting prospects,

QLD's cupboard is somewhat bare when it comes to exciting new talent / the next star marquee level players.....

1. Inglis, Holmes
2. Lee, Kahu, Maranta
3. Chambers, Copley,
4. Gagai, Kahu, Moga
5. Oates, Vidot, Holmes
7. Hunt, DCE, Sandow
10. Sims, Molo, Napa
11. Papalii, Grievsmuhl
13. McQueen, Arrow

off the top of my head, that's our future there. Who would you have already bought in? What a shame JYY, Folau and Taylor haven't kicked on for varying reasons.

I think the majority of all those "replacements" are long shot wishes. Most are still struggling to hold onto a first grade spot.

I think the majority of all those "replacements" are long shot wishes. Most are still struggling to hold onto a first grade spot.

That applies to a lot of the current side too; Cronk playing ISC in 2003 and 2004 getting a run for the Storm 13 games then 20 in 2005. Smith played 2 games for Storm in 2002 and then Queensland the next year.

Not saying they're all going to be like Cronk or Smith but plenty would have said the exact same thing and did say it in that period of 03-05.

1. Inglis, Holmes
2. Lee, Kahu, Maranta
3. Chambers, Copley,
4. Gagai, Kahu, Moga
5. Oates, Vidot, Holmes
7. Hunt, DCE, Sandow
10. Sims, Molo, Napa
11. Papalii, Grievsmuhl
13. McQueen, Arrow

2020 team I recently saw and their age.

Inglis (33)
Holmes (25)
Gagai (29)
Chambers (32)
Copley (29)
Milford (26)
DCE (31)
Napa (28)
Friend (30)
McGuire (30)
Guerra (32)
Hess (24)
Oates (26)

Morgan (29)
Sims (28)
Wallace (29)
Ofahengaue (25)

2020 team I recently saw and their age.

Inglis (33)
Holmes (25)
Gagai (29)
Chambers (32)
Copley (29)
Milford (26)
DCE (31)
Napa (28)
Friend (30)
McGuire (30)
Guerra (32)
Hess (24)
Oates (26)

Morgan (29)
Sims (28)
Wallace (29)
Ofahengaue (25)

It's a pretty strong team ... But IMO:

Morgan won't be there, I'm sure we will have a far superior utility to him. I think he is a good club player, but i doubt he will be a main stay at origin level.

By 2020 Hunt will have well and truely passed DCE as the best QLD halfback. In fact, I think he should be already ahead of him in the pecking order.

Does anyone know what the rules are for players outside the code coming in for things like state of origin? Some of the talk on NRL 360 this week about the future being all about players (marquee types) possibly 'pinch hitting' in other leagues or even other codes for short stints like during the NRL off season was interesting ... Could someone like Israel Folau be allowed back to league temporarily just to play state of origin ?

It sounds a bit outrageous but the way things are shifting and evolving nowadays, could it be a possibility in the not too distant future??

Last edited:
Cross promotion like that would be frowned upon you would think, the risk of your player getting injured in another code etc.

Although it happens in motorsport where a few F1 drivers get to do Le Mans.

Does anyone know what the rules are for players outside the code coming in for things like state of origin? Some of the talk on NRL 360 this week about the future being all about players (marquee types) possibly 'pinch hitting' in other leagues or even other codes for short stints like during the NRL off season was interesting ... Could someone like Israel Folau be allowed back to league temporarily just to play state of origin ?

It sounds a bit outrageous but the way things are shifting and evolving nowadays, could it be a possibility in the not too distant future??

I hope not. Would cheapen the concept imo. Plus it would be a big risk to take a player in to the toughest league contest in the world if that player doesn't have a recent history of playing the game.

I don't think it could ever work but theoretically, if the choice was between Folau and Maranta, you'd at least spare a thought about bringing Israel into play wing, right?

It's a pretty strong team ... But IMO:

Morgan won't be there, I'm sure we will have a far superior utility to him. I think he is a good club player, but i doubt he will be a main stay at origin level.

By 2020 Hunt will have well and truely passed DCE as the best QLD halfback. In fact, I think he should be already ahead of him in the pecking order.

Agreed about Morgan. He doesn't strike me as a player who has a long Origin career ahead of him. I hope I'm wrong though, cohesion is a large reason for our recent dominance.

Unsure about Hunt and DCE. I hope you're right though.

I don't think it could ever work but theoretically, if the choice was between Folau and Maranta, you'd at least spare a thought about bringing Israel into play wing, right?

O94qJ.gif

Active Now

• bazza
  • Aldo
  • broncsgoat
  • Allo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • LittleDavey
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Redux
  • GCBRONCO
  • jd87
  • Fozz
  • Strop
  • Sproj
  • Xzei
  • Battler
  • Wolfie
  • Jedhead
  • bb_gun
  • ezpz
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.