Are the Panthers still contenders in 2017?

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Do you think the Panthers are still contenders in 2017?

No Panthers side in their history has ever made the finals with a 2-6 record in their first 8 games. Their worst was last year just scraping in the 8 with a 3-5 record in the first 8 games.

They will have to finish at least 10-6 just to make the playoffs. It won't happen and Hook's coaching career is about to abruptly come to an end.

I wouldn't be writing them off just yet. Having said that they had a lot of first year player /rookie success last year. Second year syndrome could have a broader effect on the panthers .

I wouldn't be writing them off just yet. Having said that they had a lot of first year player /rookie success last year. Second year syndrome could have a broader effect on the panthers .
You have to finish top four to be a realistic contender in this comp which means Penrith would have to finish 13-3 (maybe 14-2). I guess you are tipping against the Broncos this week.

You have to finish top four to be a realistic contender in this comp which means Penrith would have to finish 13-3 (maybe 14-2). I guess you are tipping against the Broncos this week.
Never. Finishing in the top 4 is an advantage, wining from 5-8 hasn't happened yet, but it will. All it takes is momentum and some luck.

Never. Finishing in the top 4 is an advantage, wining from 5-8 hasn't happened yet, but it will. All it takes is momentum and some luck.
I agree. It will happen one day but it won't be the 2017 version of Penrith who are ruled by possibly the worst coach in the history of top level RL.

I agree. It will happen one day but it won't be the 2017 version of Penrith who are ruled by possibly the worst coach in the history of top level RL.
That, and a Captain seems to be infatuated with himself. I guess it's just the old footballer in me that would rather pump up the tyres of the opposition rather than write them off.

Also @Accept , are you say Phil Gould was wrong about Griffen , unheard of.
I'm a Gus fan but I was stunned when he hired Griffin as it was never going to work out and he let go of a pretty decent coach just to bring this guy in. I will never figure out why.

I'm a Gus fan but I was stunned when he hired Griffin as it was never going to work out and he let go of a pretty decent coach just to bring this guy in. I will never figure out why.
I guess it's same reason that the republicans elected George bush. They felt they could control him. But I could be just part of his 5 err 10 err 20 year plan.

It's ok. They will magically beat us on Thursday as the media is still whinging atm that "Souffs wus robbed" right now and there will most likely be a bullshit save Penriff/Hook campaign this coming week. Not to mention they have the wood on us atm because they are also a very arsey team.

I don't think anyone would rate them so highly if Gould wasn't supposed to be behind the scenes, pulling the strings. It warms my heart slightly just thinking of how frustrated Gould must be every night.

Honestly never thought they were contenders. Their season will end with them missing the 8 completely.

Honestly never thought they were contenders. Their season will end with them missing the 8 completely.

I honestly still cannot believe they got rid of Cleary for Anthony Fucking Griffin. The guy is a coaching potato. It blows my mind.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Dash
  • kiwibronco
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.