RANT Are You a Fan of The NRL Still?

Do you enjoy the NRL these days?

• I love it - watch every game

• I enjoy it - watch most games

• It is ok - I watch some games

• I am not really enjoying it - watch sporadic games

• Can't really stand it - only watch Broncos games

• Hate it - I can barely watch even Broncos games

• This sport is crashing and burning - I can't watch anything, not even Broncos games

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just a slight detour, out of interest if the Broncos were four points clear at the top of the table would all these things bother you as much?

Richard Gardham is salary cap auditor- Schubert hasn't done it since 2013.
I have mates that are Panthers, eels, storm and souffs fans.... every single one of them is watching less footy then any of the previous 4-5 years. All of them... yes they enjoy winning and would enjoy a premiership, but the game is diabolical at the moment. I've watched games with them where we have gotten into full arguments about a penalty in years gone by, haven't had one of them this year at all bcos we all just laugh and struggle to comprehend wtf the 6 again was awarded for that led to a try. This is after their team scores a try! To bring this in mid season too, lol absolute joke...

the refs were diabolical against us last night - but then you expect that when playing the eels.

Still a fan of the NRL?

It'd be easy to say no given all the rule changes, blowout games, unnecessary send off for accidents on the field.. to top it all off, my team is one of the worst if not the worst team in the comp.

I refuse to give up on the team I have supported since their inception though, we've had it real good for a really long time, this is the time when fans need to be at their loudest.

The 6 again rule has fucked it, but I still watch 2 or 3 games a week. The women’s soo is pretty much proof how shit the 6 again has made the game. Go back to penalties.

The 6 again has made the gap bigger between the top teams and the shit teams, shit teams have no way to stop the roll on.

Where as under the old format, it was a break in play and they could set up their line. Now it's just a non-stop gaping until they crack.

The 6 again has made the gap bigger between the top teams and the shit teams, shit teams have no way to stop the roll on.

Where as under the old format, it was a break in play and they could set up their line. Now it's just a non-stop gaping until they crack.
Not to mention they used to have opportunities to get field position by kicking to touch off penalties... now they just get a couple extra tackles and that's only if the ref decides to call one of the 400 offsides now occurring in a game.

If the weak team does somehow manage to get any sort of roll on the defense will just lay all over them to halt the momentum with zero repercussions.

We're basically back in the penalty era, in the sense that refs are too piss weak to call all the infringements or bin anyone for professional fouls, except the actual penalty is two parts of **** all... so now there is zero deterrent to giving away penalties.

I wish the Broncos would realise this and stop trying to be all holier than thou with how they play.... cheaters do fucking prosper in the NRL so hurry up and get the **** on board

Not to mention they used to have opportunities to get field position by kicking to touch off penalties... now they just get a couple extra tackles and that's only if the ref decides to call one of the 400 offsides now occurring in a game.

If the weak team does somehow manage to get any sort of roll on the defense will just lay all over them to halt the momentum with zero repercussions.

We're basically back in the penalty era, in the sense that refs are too piss weak to call all the infringements or bin anyone for professional fouls, except the actual penalty is two parts of **** all... so now there is zero deterrent to giving away penalties.

I wish the Broncos would realise this and stop trying to be all holier than thou with how they play.... cheaters do fucking prosper in the NRL so hurry up and get the **** on board
in theory - more 6 again calls should stop players from being off side..

If you are interested in off side players - see parras last try last night.

in theory - more 6 again calls should stop players from being off side..

If you are interested in off side players - see parras last try last night.
That was offside off the kick and I thought Waqa was also offside, but NSWRL were in full manufacture mode to try and get parra a win.

Everyone thought the six again was brought in so the refs could call more penalties (without copping the wrath of Buzz, Gould and the rest of the NSWRL media), but instead they still just let the same amount of shit go, except now there are zero repercussions for giving away penalties so the fittest teams just live offside, knowing they wont be pinged.

I'm not sure Parra have been onside since the six agains were brought in.

I'm a fan of the Broncos, not the NRL.

The NRL are a hilariously inept, borderline corrupt organization who can't see an inch past their nose as far as the future of the game is concerned. If anything them and V'landal are a match made in heaven (hell?), because he IS the NRL distilled into human form. Arrogant, narcissistic, vain to the point of toxic and self destructive and more or less ruled by media hacks like Kunt, Hooper and Sloth who I guarantee know less about Rugby League than Huge and broncsgoat do.

I’d have to agree with the general opinion going around that we all love rugby league we just don’t love what it is at the moment. Does that have to do with the Broncos being shit? Yeah I’m sure it does but it’s so much more than that. Like you’d probably think that outsiders looking at this thread thought we were whiney broncos fans because we lose every week rather than the fact, the product we love or rather loved is no longer the same product. I think it’s fair to say that most of us on the forum are in the top 1% of nrl fans. Like we spend our spare time talking about it in a forum. It’s huge part of our lives but sadly it’s becoming less and less apart of that. The general games itself are diabolical piece of shits that usually end within 10 minutes or by a controversial call. As someone said it quickly becomes background noise rather than entertainment. Every week you’d be excited to watch teams other than the broncos to compete because it would be an outstanding representation of what football is and why we loved it. It’s not now. The fact that we still have a number of rounds left in the season and we know who is going to win the competition is sad, I’ve known all year to be pretty honest with you, even though Penrith dominated the regular season I was adamant the Storm were going to win for the entire of last season as well. To be fair you’d always have a good idea of who’d win before the season started, but now these teams can verse the 3rd best team and smash the shit out of them. As for injuries and inconsistent suspension means the best players aren’t ever in the field and the product becomes even shitter. NRL is a huge part of our lives and it has to go back to the ways of pre-COVID. I think any rule changes from now on should be put to a vote by organisations and a substantial majority would be needed for an over turned rule change.

I was thinking on my jog this arvo that the issue is consistency and in arguing whether the Broncos are getting a rough end of it or if we're just shit, and the the question I kept coming back to was: is it more likely that one team is playing hot and cold (inconsistently), or more likely that multiple referees are adjudicating inconsistently, i.e., shouldn't a defined set of rules affect all teams equally if all referees adjudicated consistently based on said rules.
Of course, it seems obvious to say then that the referees are human and do make mistakes. But therein lies the problem. Were the rules applied consistently inconsistently across all teams, then all teams would essentially run hot and cold. But some teams seem to be flawless nearly every week. Which in itself implies some bias, because noone is perfect. But are the Broncos so hot and cold that they can beat a top team one week and not concede any early set restarts, but then the next week concede multiple, especially when compared to every other team in the league? I really do not think so. I think if we were to honestly inspect and analyse each match we would see incredible inconsistencies in refereeing and I think we would see a large bias against the Broncos for whatever reason.

And that has really ruined league for me the past few years. 2020 was essentially me ranting to my girlfriend every weekend.

Ok this is the worlds greatest nego thread.

I think this off season NRL would do well to:-
- clarify the refs and players role within the held and release call. What is the role of the held call? If there is a release call?
- at what point can the defensive line move forward?

You get those things right and you go a long way to helping fans / players / coaches get on the same page.

Additionally, I think some thought has to be put on when the hand has to come off the ball - i.e. if it is at the held call - because the offload finishes then - shouldnt that be a ping almost every second ptb?

I also think the NRL should keep penalising for high shots and for bad ones and I say this as a canberra fan - whose football clubs season got derailed by it the most because our game was built on mongrel angry defence. The game has to be safer for the head to survive, you cant allow head shots to go unpunished.

Ok this is the worlds greatest nego thread.

I think this off season NRL would do well to:-
- clarify the refs and players role within the held and release call. What is the role of the held call? If there is a release call?
- at what point can the defensive line move forward?

You get those things right and you go a long way to helping fans / players / coaches get on the same page.

Additionally, I think some thought has to be put on when the hand has to come off the ball - i.e. if it is at the held call - because the offload finishes then - shouldnt that be a ping almost every second ptb?

I also think the NRL should keep penalising for high shots and for bad ones and I say this as a canberra fan - whose football clubs season got derailed by it the most because our game was built on mongrel angry defence. The game has to be safer for the head to survive, you cant allow head shots to go unpunished.

I like all these points but again, no one at all is against the head high crackdown and dangerous tackle crackdown, no one. What people are against is the inconsistency and stupidity of it all.

Some high shots are purely accidental in that the tackler can do absolutely nothing to get out of the way, should those be penalised? If a player is slipping and in a fraction of a second gets hit in the head because the defender cannot do anything about it, should this be a sinbinning / send-off? If you want to get fans on board, make clear the guidelines (as you said) and show some common sense in decisions.

Again, the issue is not the dangerous tackle crackdown, no one has a problem with this, the problem is the inconsistency in decisions and I actually hope this does cost an NRL-favoured team a grand final because then something might be done about the stupidity of it all and the fact the current screwing up of the game has turned fans away in droves.

I don't totally blame the refs, they have to make split second decisions under fatigue and just work with the stupid guidelines the NRL want followed, they've also then got this idiot(in the bunker) in their ear all game second guessing them and picking out issues that aren't really issues while at the same time missing others and then struggling to consistently apply the rules to infringements from game to game.

I don't totally blame the refs, they have to make split second decisions under fatigue and just work with the stupid guidelines the NRL want followed, they've also then got this idiot(in the bunker) in their ear all game second guessing them and picking out issues that aren't really issues while at the same time missing others and then struggling to consistently apply the rules to infringements from game to game.

YES! The bunker was a great idea that as usual by the NRL, is screwed in application. They should only be ruling on tries and that's it because they are even more inconsistent than the poor fatigued bloke on the field and rarely ever come under as much scrutiny.

Active Now

• Aldo
  • lynx000
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Broncosarethebest
  • marw
  • RolledOates
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.