Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Source: NRL.com.au
NRL Media Release
Timestamp Wed 15 Mar 2023, 01:38 PM

The Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) has approved changes to the NRL’s head injury protocols, including the introduction of a mandatory 11-day stand-down following a diagnosed concussion.
The Commission approved the new stand-down procedure following a review of the data and advice from a range of experts.

The new requirement, which applies to concussions diagnosed both at training and during games, will take effect from Thursday 16 March 2023 being the commencement of Round 3.
ARLC Chairman Peter V’landys AM said: “There is no greater priority for us than player safety. It’s front and centre of everything we do.
“Our current head injury protocols are exceptionally strong. Following a review of the data and the expert advice we have received, the Commission have enhanced these protocols even further by providing a mandatory 11 day stand down period following a diagnosed concussion.”
In exceptional circumstances, Clubs will have the ability to apply for exemption to the 11-day stand-down period, through a review by an independent neurological expert appointed by the NRL. This application will only be allowable where the following set criteria are met:
  • Category 1 signs/symptoms are not observed
  • The player is asymptomatic the day following the concussion
  • Cognitive testing has returned to normal
  • The player has suffered fewer than five previous career concussions
  • The player has no previously diagnosed concussions within the previous three months
  • The player has no history of a previous concussion with prolonged recovery
The Commission will continue to procure the best scientific information from experts in the field. Further, the Commission will continue to monitor the latest technologies including blood and saliva testing as a tool for diagnosing concussion and continue to implement programs such as tackle technique education and tools to further prevent injuries. Player welfare is and will always be the number one priority.

So I obviously don't understand the medical jargon, but if they fail a HIA they're automatically ruled out of the next game, but if they pass the HIA, can you still pass a HIA test but be "concussed"?

Fail HIA = Concussion
Pass HIA = No Concussion

I'm guessing that's how it works but I don't know if they work on baselines so you might pass a HIA but still technically have a concussion so you're ruled out next week.

Interesting, I can see teams who play the same team twice putting a bullseye on a key player. Teams don't often play the same team twice but there have been occasions.

Or in Origin, a player lines up someone knowing that player is set to play them in their next NRL fixture, coaches will go to those lengths, they've proven in the past nothing is off limits to gain an advantage around a new rule.

Fail a HIA, automatically ruled out. Pass it, you're all good.

Pretty much the same policy introduced in the RLWC.

Interesting, I can see teams who play the same team twice putting a bullseye on a key player. Teams don't often play the same team twice but there have been occasions.

Or in Origin, a player lines up someone knowing that player is set to play them in their next NRL fixture, coaches will go to those lengths, they've proven in the past nothing is off limits to gain an advantage around a new rule.
Yeah and how do they plan on doing that without getting suspended for even longer.

Righto. Given this, now I really think we are a bit short on second rowers.

So aside from the extra day, everything else seems to be pretty much the same. I wonder what science this is based on. Does one extra day make a lot of difference?

The bench forward who is playing for his career and doesn’t want to miss 1-5 games just to make sure someone possibly is ruled out when you verse.

When are you gonna fucken fire up and declare it to be a big fucken play on?

They're starting to talk about a 28 day stand down in the AFL for concussion. We're pretty much witnessing the end of contact sport in Aus in live time, especially so if the class action in the AFL succeeds.

They're starting to talk about a 28 day stand down in the AFL for concussion. We're pretty much witnessing the end of contact sport in Aus in live time, especially so if the class action in the AFL succeeds.
Anyone who is concussion prone instantly becomes valueless if something like this passes.

Anyone who is concussion prone instantly becomes valueless if something like this passes.

I reckon even someone who has had a few concussions has probably had a cut in their value, look at Wade Graham.. he basically suspended himself in an attempt to not get his head in the wrong area.

I reckon even someone who has had a few concussions has probably had a cut in their value, look at Wade Graham.. he basically suspended himself in an attempt to not get his head in the wrong area.
I think one or two from a bad hit clubs will look past, but if you get knocked out easily from an innocuous tackle, no club will touch you for more than minimum wage. The smart teams will change their tackling technique, you know, maybe the NRL can reward leg tackles because they're far less dangerous instead of this BS ruck wrestle.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • bazza
  • cento
  • Xzei
  • Justwin
  • Johnny92
  • Stix
  • broncos4life
  • Mr Fourex
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Strop
  • Organix
  • Broncosgirl
  • kman
  • bb_gun
  • winslow_wong
  • jd87
  • Mustafur
  • Battler
  • Santa
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.