Australia vs India Discussion

Any truth to the rumors Stoinis was told to focus on limited overs because MMarsh is basically assured ongoing squad selection?

These batsmen are deplorable.

Based on nothing but the selectors general stupidity I’ll go with yes

Any chance of Lehmann coming back to coach?

No chance, I'd say.

The stench of the ball tampering saga is still too strong.

Let's see how Langer does on the Ashes tour.

I'd probably persevere with Marsh too. Yes, he didn't make a lot of runs but he looked solid at the crease.

Pretty good bloke too, by all reports.

Why didn't he finish the warm up game just before the Test?

If he wasn't knocked out and subbed out.....he plays before the Test.

Oh, so you're changing your argument now. Yes, I agree he failed to bat in one innings in the tour match because of concussion, that doesn't change the fact that he was available for selection in the first test and was supposedly left out because he missed one innings against a Pakistan B side.

Langer saying he was left out because he "hasn't played much cricket" would've hardly been altered by a single innings in a tour match, as someone with extensive knowledge in cricket, wouldn't you agree?

10,000 shield runs @ 60 is the only time anyone should get in the Test side .... /s

Selectors need to stop fucking around the possibles v probables v incumbents. Have them all, including our first XI, play Shield, and not commit to play these bullshit two Test series vs Pakistan in the UAE or Sri Lanka right in the middle of Shield season, because we’ll have a stronger comp - better bats vs better bowlers particularly. Send everyone who’s a chance on the A tours when they happen, not just 3 or 4 and then pick someone NOT from that side that should’ve been, because what’s the point of the A side then? Shits and giggles? Stop all the ‘wink wink guarantees’ that don’t eventuate.

We may not have the quality we used to, but we can put things in place to make it better and easier.

Oh, so you're changing your argument now. Yes, I agree he failed to bat in one innings in the tour match because of concussion, that doesn't change the fact that he was available for selection in the first test and was supposedly left out because he missed one innings against a Pakistan B side.

Langer saying he was left out because he "hasn't played much cricket" would've hardly been altered by a single innings in a tour match, as someone with extensive knowledge in cricket, wouldn't you agree?

No, my problem with old mate's poor article is still the same he omitted facts to suit his agenda.

So you don't think the current Test opener batting in the only warm up game and getting 162 like Marsh did would have got him the spot- it completely eliminates the he hasn't batted enough reason.

Australia 4/494 if Renshaw has a piece of that no way does he not play the Test. Holland played because of his 5 in that game, Labuschagne made his debut.

Concussion cost him his Test spot, and if he had played that game and batted in Australia's only innings he would have played the Test six days later- so that writer angling at some mystery selection snub just isn't true.

To say he muck up his prep is just so untrue it's not funny. He had five SS games and he is averaging 19. Harris had the same five games and he scored runs.

I am all for sticking up for Bulls but no way is it right to blame some mystery AC conspiracy theory.

10,000 shield runs @ 60 is the only time anyone should get in the Test side .... /s

Selectors need to stop fucking around the possibles v probables v incumbents. Have them all, including our first XI, play Shield, and not commit to play these bullshit two Test series vs Pakistan in the UAE or Sri Lanka right in the middle of Shield season, because we’ll have a stronger comp - better bats vs better bowlers particularly. Send everyone who’s a chance on the A tours when they happen, not just 3 or 4 and then pick someone NOT from that side that should’ve been, because what’s the point of the A side then? Shits and giggles? Stop all the ‘wink wink guarantees’ that don’t eventuate.

We may not have the quality we used to, but we can put things in place to make it better and easier.

Problem with that only current players even near 10,000 and near is a still far.

Bailey 7968
Fergurson 7581
White 7296

Top seven are the only guys!

Lehmann
Cox
Siddons
Bevan
Hodge
Elliot
Love.

Not a bad batting line up but they're all old. Bradman doesn't even qualify for 10,000. If you don't do other people's tours they won't come here.

I think you have to play everyone in a four year cycle.

Last edited:
Looks to me like Justin Langer was a horrible appointment. He contradicts himself at every chance. The selectors are on another level at the moment. Complete incompetence from them. I can barely watch as I just can't stand the Team we're putting out on the field.

Concussion cost him his Test spot, and if he had played that game and batted in Australia's only innings he would have played the Test six days later- so that writer angling at some mystery selection snub just isn't true.

This is where it gets interesting..

If Renshaw had batted that innings in the warm-up game and got a golden duck, and Labuschagne had scored the same amount of runs via replacing somebody else who retired hurt, would we've had the same team for the first test?

Because that's essentially the exact same set of circumstances that occurred, Renshaw would've had a grand total of 45 seconds extra out in the middle than he otherwise had, and Labuschagne would've scored some runs and "impressed the coaching staff".

I'm pretty sure it would've been the same team, Renshaw would've been dropped for Labuschagne with Khawaja & S.Marsh promoted. So in essence, the head knock had no impact on his non-selection in a vacuum, it was the recency bias and foolishness of the coaching staff and selectors that left Renshaw out, which is what the article is articulating, whether you like the wording or not.

Last edited:
No chance, I'd say.

The stench of the ball tampering saga is still too strong.

As far as I understand it, he had no idea, and wouldn't have put up with that shit if he did. I remember reading it was all Warner's idea, I'm not even sure of Smith's involvement.

I don’t get why the shield can’t start during the back end of the footy season, like August or September. Start it earlier and have more fixtures. Fox cricket could even show a d/n game a week: interest in the footy is starting to wane a bit for fans of teams who are out of contention, and other sports fans will be ‘hungry’ for any sort of competitive sport during the week (nrl and afl downtime).

As far as I understand it, he had no idea, and wouldn't have put up with that shit if he did. I remember reading it was all Warner's idea, I'm not even sure of Smith's involvement.

Heh.

That's the theory, yeah.

The coach knew nothing about any thing at any time.

Apparently it was a dastardly deed hatched by David Warner at lunch time during a test match.

Hmm...

So Smith knew he was up to something and decided to look the other way. That's his story and he's sticking to it complete with a Vodafone ad to back it up.

Bancroft used the sandpaper as he felt he had to do whatever in order to fit in with the team.

The bowlers knew nothing either... which is fascinating considering they would benefit from any tampering with the ball.

It seems no one knew anything at any stage about anyone at anytime.

Heh.

That's the theory, yeah.

The coach knew nothing about any thing at any time.

Apparently it was a dastardly deed hatched by David Warner at lunch time during a test match.

Hmm...

So Smith knew he was up to something and decided to look the other way. That's his story and he's sticking to it complete with a Vodafone ad to back it up.

Bancroft used the sandpaper as he felt he had to do whatever in order to fit in with the team.

The bowlers knew nothing either... which is fascinating considering they would benefit from any tampering with the ball.

It seems no one knew anything at any stage about anyone at anytime.

It is clearly all Bullshit isn't it. If the Bowler weren't involved I'll eat my hat. Warner is being made the scapegoat as he is the least likable out of anyone in the team

I don’t get why the shield can’t start during the back end of the footy season, like August or September. Start it earlier and have more fixtures. Fox cricket could even show a d/n game a week: interest in the footy is starting to wane a bit for fans of teams who are out of contention, and other sports fans will be ‘hungry’ for any sort of competitive sport during the week (nrl and afl downtime).

This, the BBL won’t be moved as school holidays is the perfect time for them. Or at least make the fringe players play the next tier down

Its pretty obvious to me (and probably anyone else whose played) that there are way too many "flat track bullies" who know nothing of surviving for the long haul as batsmen.
They're great at belting wayward bowlers, but any kind of diciplined seam bowling and they go to water in the contest.
I don't actually blame them as it what they have been expected to do to earn a living.
Why anyone thinks 4 day cricket is an unnecessary stepping stone to tests bewildered me.
That's where you learn to vide your time and play the long game. Think of a player like kaditch who would have a strike rate in the 30s at the start of his innings and 100 or more at his century. We thrown away the development of those kind of players in the grab for cash, not realising success at test cricket feeds the desire for limited overs, not the reverse.
The sport is living on borrowed time and may soon go the way of union.

Its pretty obvious to me (and probably anyone else whose played) that there are way too many "flat track bullies" who know nothing of surviving for the long haul as batsmen.
They're great at belting wayward bowlers, but any kind of diciplined seam bowling and they go to water in the contest.
I don't actually blame them as it what they have been expected to do to earn a living.
Why anyone thinks 4 day cricket is an unnecessary stepping stone to tests bewildered me.
That's where you learn to vide your time and play the long game. Think of a player like kaditch who would have a strike rate in the 30s at the start of his innings and 100 or more at his century. We thrown away the development of those kind of players in the grab for cash, not realising success at test cricket feeds the desire for limited overs, not the reverse.
The sport is living on borrowed time and may soon go the way of union.
This is pretty much where we are at with cricket in Australia.

Being a junior coach, including a number of rep sides, I see a lot of kids who have dominated at club level but the lack in fundamentals and technique of these kids really shows them up when they get to the next level of cricket. The thing they don't realise is, a good shot is a good shot in any form of the game. This is exactly what Jacques Kallis said when he played for the Thunder a few years back.

I've been to coaching seminars where Cricket NSW Academy Coaches are teaching us how to teach ramp shots, reverse sweeps and how to clear the front leg instead of focussing on batting with balance, good footwork and concentration. Going off where our national side is at, I'm not sure this is the way to go. To me, this is just getting them better prepared so they can slot into some BBL or IPL side so they can cash in but we aren't seeing any reward for our national sides.

I find it funny how Cricket Australia has put a lot of time and effort into boosting our T20 performances, at the detriment of our test performances, and we still aren't that great at T20. We need to be smarter at how we develop our young players. As a junior coach, I hate when we have to play T20s, as I can see the kids are getting nothing out of them in terms of their overall development.

I really do enjoy the T20 - something quick and intense (in a non-sexual way) all the way through. But I also kind of wish it never happened, you are definitely gonna see more and more players concentrate on that as it can pay more and not be as hard on your body...unless you are a psycho like Lynn, trying to tear your rotator cuff with every 2nd or 3rd shot.

Unread

Active Now

• Allo
  • winslow_wong
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.