Australia VS South Africa T20 & ODI Series

The difference between Smith & Beer for mine is that Beer basically got in because Warne gave him a wrap in the media.

Smith was just another 'prospect' from NSW who was seemingly handed a spot in all formats despite being pretty green.

This ending is pathetic from Australia. If we actually manage to win this, which ridiculously we may not now we will be no 1 ranking... How ludicrous is that this team isn't even close.

Embarrassing

Faulkner!!!!

Isn't cricket an awesome sport

The difference between Smith & Beer for mine is that Beer basically got in because Warne gave him a wrap in the media.

Smith was just another 'prospect' from NSW who was seemingly handed a spot in all formats despite being pretty green.

Beer is a perfect example that disproves that theory that NSW players are favoured by selectors. Was a selection out of nowhere but at least he played ok.

I had the misfortune of attending Michael Beer's debut on day 3, when Cook took us apart, and we couldn't take a wicket for nearly two whole sessions. Also, 2 out every 3 supporters were Poms!

To this day I have no idea what the selectors or Warne saw in him, but to be fair, I think anyone would have been carted around that day.

According to cricinfo, he was actually pretty economical, but I remember that he could not turn the ball at all.
Also, apparently that was MJ Clarke's first match as captain.

This ending is pathetic from Australia. If we actually manage to win this, which ridiculously we may not now we will be no 1 ranking... How ludicrous is that this team isn't even close.

Embarrassing

I disagree. We have more fast bowling depth than any other side in world cricket, we usually bat to 10 or 11 and unlike our test team, can win anywhere in the world. We just won a series in the UAE remember. Us and India are neck a neck at the top as the rankings actually show and then SA, SL, Pakistan and NZ fight it out on the next rung below. Last night we switched off but still got it done even if horribly, that is a sign of a world class team.

I disagree. We have more fast bowling depth than any other side in world cricket, we usually bat to 10 or 11 and unlike our test team, can win anywhere in the world. We just won a series in the UAE remember. Us and India are neck a neck at the top as the rankings actually show and then SA, SL, Pakistan and NZ fight it out on the next rung below. Last night we switched off but still got it done even if horribly, that is a sign of a world class team.

I agree. anything but a full strength side. with Steve Smith bunting and edging his way to 67 and a wining position.

My post was more down in exassperation at the stupidity of the display and shots being played.

Full credit to the team for getting it done and we are definitely up there as a ODI team, however I strongly disagree with the bold.

World class teams don't switch off. World class teams don't hit stupid shots when the are well ahead of the run rate with 50 odd runs to go. That's not world class batting, that is immature and disrespectful batting IMHO

I agree. anything but a full strength side. with Steve Smith bunting and edging his way to 67 and a wining position.

And that's part of my issue, Steve Smith did fantastic work to get us there but the shots they at the death were unnecessary and very nearly lost us the un-losable match.

Yes we weren't full strength, but neither were SA. They were without one of, if not best bowler and without there captain top batsmen De Villiers.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the team but if they or the fans think that playing like that will keep the number 1 ranking they will very quickly find out how wrong they are

I am not so sure about that.

Harris is 35 and a Test to Test proposition.
Siddle is 29 and people want him dropped every 3rd Test.
Hazelwood has never played a Test
Starc has now been dropped 8 times in 13 Tests
Johnson has steadied and is a sure thing.
Pattinson has played 13 Tests in 3 years.
Bird is playing for the Tas Second 11.

Of our last seven Test debutants fast bowlers only two have played more than three Tests- Starc and Pattinson.

Beer is a perfect example that disproves that theory that NSW players are favoured by selectors. Was a selection out of nowhere but at least he played ok.

He got 5 wickets in the tour game against England and we needed a spinner so he got a run in the Test against England- hardly from nowhere.

He's from Victoria too- next best thing for the selectors.

Agree with Sproj. Look at how poor South Africa's batting depth is. Only India rival us and our quicks are better.

That said we do have some big weaknesses. Namely our batsman just try to hit everything for six. Nobody ever just seems to want to hit singles and be not out on 50 at the end anymore.

Agree with Sproj. Look at how poor South Africa's batting depth is. Only India rival us and our quicks are better.

That said we do have some big weaknesses. Namely our batsman just try to hit everything for six. Nobody ever just seems to want to hit singles and be not out on 50 at the end anymore.

Probably a product of so much 20/20 being played.

Maxwell in particular looks to always want to play the big, impossible shot when it isn't really on.

You are probably right but I don't think it can be entirely down to that. Hussey was a good T20 player but at ODI level always seemed to be able to adapt. He could go big at the end of an innings batting first or just control the game if chasing a target.

People like Maxwell just have no adaptability which is a shame as I think he has enormous talent. Hopefully like Roy he can eventually come good with it.

You are probably right but I don't think it can be entirely down to that. Hussey was a good T20 player but at ODI level always seemed to be able to adapt. He could go big at the end of an innings batting first or just control the game if chasing a target.

People like Maxwell just have no adaptability which is a shame as I think he has enormous talent. Hopefully like Roy he can eventually come good with it.

Hussey was a master at crafting an innings though, so to compare any of our current squad to him is a bit unfair.

I like what i'm seeing from Smith these days though, he seems to be able to show a bit of control nowadays and can settle himself before trying the big shots.

I had the misfortune of attending Michael Beer's debut on day 3, when Cook took us apart, and we couldn't take a wicket for nearly two whole sessions. Also, 2 out every 3 supporters were Poms!

To this day I have no idea what the selectors or Warne saw in him, but to be fair, I think anyone would have been carted around that day.

According to cricinfo, he was actually pretty economical, but I remember that he could not turn the ball at all.
Also, apparently that was MJ Clarke's first match as captain.

Beer played for Warneys old grade cricket side in St Kilda. They selectors seemed to jump on Beer as soon as Warney pumped him up. It was madness.

When you look at this current SA squad, beating them looks a daunting task. So many have hurt us in the past. Amala, Abdv. Faf , steyn and morks. They seem to be able to find a way to lose every game at the moment.

When you look at this current SA squad, beating them looks a daunting task. So many have hurt us in the past. Amala, Abdv. Faf , steyn and morks. They seem to be able to find a way to lose every game at the moment.

South Africa have a very good first XI but are stuggling to find decent all rounders at the moment. It makes their tail quite long. I think Australia have the best depth in world cricket when it comes to ODI cricket. I feel like we don't lose a lot if we have a few injuries to players. We have plenty of all rounders at the minute as well.

Unread

Active Now

• Justwin
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Dazza 92
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • HarryAllan7
  • Bongo
  • Porthoz
  • Lozza
  • Fitzy
  • ostin86
  • broncos4life
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.