Australian tour of England

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Australia’s men’s team is pencilled in for an ODI and T20 tour of England in September, with CA, England’s cricket board and the relevant government organisations in discussions.

PRELIMINARY SQUAD:

Sean Abbott, Ashton Agar, Alex Carey, Pat Cummins, Aaron Finch, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Ben McDermott, Riley Meredith, Michael Neser, Josh Philippe, Daniel Sams, D’Arcy Short, Kane Richardson, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis, Andrew Tye, Matthew Wade, David Warner, Adam Zampa.

Haven't even thought about cricket in yonks, feels like I haven't seen the Australian cricket team play in years.

Thoughts on what our best ODI / T20 teams would be currently? @Sproj @1910, I'll start us off with -

ODI:

1. David Warner
2. Aaron Finch (c)
3. Marnus Labuschagne
4. Steve Smith
5. Travis Head
6. Glenn Maxwell
7. Alex Carey (wk)
8. Pat Cummins
9. Mitchell Starc
10. Nathan Lyon
11. Josh Hazlewood

T20:

1. David Warner
2. Aaron Finch (c)
3. D'Arcy Short
4. Steve Smith
5. Glenn Maxwell
6. Mitchell Marsh
7. Josh Philippe (wk)
8. Pat Cummins
9. Sean Abbott
10. Adam Zampa
11. Kane Richardson

Something along those lines.

Only care about tests really:

1. Warner
2. Burns
3. Labushagne
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Wade
7. Paine (c)
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Hazlewood
11. Lyon

12. Solway

What a massive fucking choke.

I got up at 4:30am to watch the 2nd innings. Was nearly ready to turn it off with 6 overs left because we only needed a run a ball with 9 wickets in hand. Typical Maxwell & Warner just throwing their wickets away in the space of 3 balls and putting us a vulnerable position. Nothing's changed.

I thought it was tonight. Glad I missed it now lol

I think it's time we move on from Carey in T20's, Philippe is the future. Stoinis also needs to go, he takes up way too many dot balls before he can get his eye in, if he's not opening and playing the anchor role he's not worth being in the side. Agar is also pretty trash.

This is the XI I'd personally name for the 2nd game, based on the squad available:

1. Finch (c)
2. Warner
3. Smith
4. Wade
5. Maxwell
6. Philippe (wk)
7. Sams / M.Marsh
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. K.Richardson
11. Zampa

I know RIchardson bowled well last match but I'd be going Hazlewood instead. Totally agree with getting M.Marsh in instead of Stoinis. M.Marsh is really good in limited overs, Stoinis is just rubbish at anything other than opening the batting.

I'd be going:

1. Warner
2. Finch (c)
3. Smith
4. Labushagne
5. Maxwell
6. M.Marsh
7. Phillippe (wk)
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Zampa
11. Hazlewood

That series win papers over heaps of cracks though. Even Carey was caught on a no-ball as well as being pretty rubbish aside from the world cup for a while now.

Warner can't seem to play in England (aside from the world cup), Stoinis is so underwhelming and a disappointment on potential, Cummins struggles as the third seamer (although that ball to get Bairstow was an absolute gem) and Labumblebee hasn't overly impressed, though I'd give him time.

I'd be going something like this for the first home ODI:

1. Warner
2. Finch (c)
3. Smith
4. Labumblebee
5. Maxwell
6. M.Marsh
7. Carey/Phillippe
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Hazlewood
11. Zampa

But I have no confidence in half that side.

That series win papers over heaps of cracks though. Even Carey was caught on a no-ball as well as being pretty rubbish aside from the world cup for a while now.

Warner can't seem to play in England (aside from the world cup), Stoinis is so underwhelming and a disappointment on potential, Cummins struggles as the third seamer (although that ball to get Bairstow was an absolute gem) and Labumblebee hasn't overly impressed, though I'd give him time.

I'd be going something like this for the first home ODI:

1. Warner
2. Finch (c)
3. Smith
4. Labumblebee
5. Maxwell
6. M.Marsh
7. Carey/Phillippe
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Hazlewood
11. Zampa

But I have no confidence in half that side.

I think that is our strongest side, even though I have no time for Finch.

As long as Stoinis isn't in the ODI side I'm happy.

Don't feel comfortable with Maxwell at 5 as I think he should bat a little lower and doesn't have the mentality to consistently bat 25+ overs in an innings. M Marsh should be below Carey in any batting order if both are being picked.

I'd prefer the middle order as:
4. Labu
5. Wade
6. Carey
7. Maxwell

With the lack of domestic cricket I can't really think of any other contenders for the ODI side. 1-3 is settled and the 8-11 are nailed on. Maybe Travis Head but he's abit hit and miss, probably better to focus on cementing his spot in test cricket.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Aldo
  • lynx000
  • sooticus
  • broncsgoat
  • Dash
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • MrTickyMcG
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.