NEWS Badel: Milford to stay

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Badel reports in the CM: Milford won't be taking up the Tiger's offer; he's preparing to return to number 6 to save his skin. His contract gives him until May 2020 to let the Broncos know if he wants another year. He's been allowed to fish for offers since Nov 1.

Badel says Milf's looking fitter than he has for years, maybe due to Seibold's dressing down. Ayoub denies his client is looking elsewhere despite having an admittedly mediocre 2019. Denies they've been speaking to the Tigers. No one believes that.

Isaako is training at FB, suggesting Milford is returning to pivot. Lockyer says Milford's best is yet to come at 2nd receiver, but they won't lock in the spine until after the trials.

McHunt

Last edited:
Isaako at fb is still a worry for me..

It is a bit, isn't it.

We can only hope he's working hard in the off-season to improve his game, we know he's got a great boot on him, if he can translate that in to a decent short-mid range kicking game and continue to improve as a passer, he could be a well above average Fullback imo. Considering how hard he worked on his goal kicking, I think he's the sort of guy who won't settle for being mediocre, he'll work his ass off to improve.

**** that thread title had me dreading full back

It is a bit, isn't it.

We can only hope he's working hard in the off-season to improve his game, we know he's got a great boot on him, if he can translate that in to a decent short-mid range kicking game and continue to improve as a passer, he could be a well above average Fullback imo. Considering how hard he worked on his goal kicking, I think he's the sort of guy who won't settle for being mediocre, he'll work his ass off to improve.

If there's one thing I'd want our fullback to be able to nail (provided the rest of the spine do their jobs) isn't necessarily kicking in play. He needs to be sniffing around the back of the ruck and following the forwards looking for offloads. If the spine does their job properly, Milf and Croft should be doing most of the kicking with Isaako as a decent 3rd option. We've sorely missed a decent supporting fullback for a long time.

If there's one thing I'd want our fullback to be able to nail (provided the rest of the spine do their jobs) isn't necessarily kicking in play. He needs to be sniffing around the back of the ruck and following the forwards looking for offloads. If the spine does their job properly, Milf and Croft should be doing most of the kicking with Isaako as a decent 3rd option. We've sorely missed a decent supporting fullback for a long time.
Exactly

I can't recall the Tigers offering Milford anything. Since when did this happen?

Another superb summary of the latest news McHunt, many thanks again for the time and effort you put in.

Look, I want Milf to succeed, I really do. But after the past few seasons, I just don't trust him to put the effort it. He seems like he is just stuck in a constant rut, happy to float along in his own little comfort zone collecting his fat pay cheque when he should be taking games by the scruff of the neck and coming up with match winning plays. And I don't just mean kicking field goals every now and then to win a game. He seems totally clueless at times with no game intelligence whatsoever.

Hopefully he can reclaim that 2015 form of his in 2020. We'll find out soon enough.

Last edited:
Isaako at fb is still a worry for me..
At least he has energy. If he can just roam around looking for offloads that will be great. Fullbacks usually have easier bombs to take than wingers because usually less pressure / no big winger trying to score etc.

I think he could be good there. Will offer good kick returns and more energy.

I think Milf 6 Isaako 1 is comfortably our best combination.

I've got no idea about Isaako, to be honest, but he was great at FB in the lower grades, and he's always turned it on when playing for NZ... and he's gotta be better there than he is at wing.. Give the guy a chance, it's his to lose.

Milf had a shitty 2019 - but Jesus, we'd be a shitty team without him. People got short memories, and in my books - he's still comfortably the best back we have.

Bring on 2020...

Whilst I was pretty disenchanted by 2019's on-field performance... I got to say, I haven't seen a single thing I've really disagreed with post-Parra... Who knows, maybe Piebold's hands were in fact tied, (pied? haha) and we've turned over a new leaf. I've felt we've gone backwards since 2016, but right now, and for the first time in a long time, it feels like we're moving forward

Last edited:
Most of the comments I read seem people are just annoyed about a poor season and still venting. Look at Milford's highlights package. The guy can definitely play. He was killing it for us a few years back until he did his shoulder, and then last year he was player of the year, and had another bung shoulder. The club went through a massive change this year, and I don't think Milford knew whether he was Arthur or Martha with all the changes happening around him. Then he was thrown back to fullback, and honestly that's when he looked like he wasn't enjoying himself. He was still putting himself on the line, but his positional play was sorely out, but really what do you expect. His kicking game has come along leaps and bounds, to the point of excellent (his bombs and long kicking game in particular) and he's finally gonna have a halfback that supports his game. Sure he gets paid a pretty packet, but the criticism of him is a little over the top at times I feel.

If Isaako can sort out his handling error he could make a good fullback. Has the speed and footwork to kill it in open play. How he reads a game i have no clue until the big matches, never watched him at lower levels.

No one else would pay him what we are or more.

Exactly, which means we have a tonne of leverage when he comes back to the table.

"600k over 3 years or it's thanks for your services."

Exactly, which means we have a tonne of leverage when he comes back to the table.

"600k over 3 years or it's thanks for your services."

I'm pretty sure we can't do that.

That would appear to be a pretty good way to exploit the salary cap if the NRL allowed it.

I'm pretty sure we can't do that.

That would appear to be a pretty good way to exploit the salary cap if the NRL allowed it.

I don't think so. It's natural that players lose value. You think Kurt Gidley was playing for big money at the end of his career?

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • Morkel
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Redux
  • Porthoz
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Allo
  • Bish
  • NSW stables
  • Johnny92
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Behold
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Skathen
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.