NEWS Badel: Seibold won't send Darius to QLD Cup

This is really odd messaging. The whole team was put on notice after the debacle against Parramatta except for our worst player because he is old and has played in good teams before. Weird.

The bit i'm most curious to see if he backs up is this talk about having same opportunity as everyone else to make the opening match. I agree with the sentiment, but Boyd should only get the shirt if he is actually performing better than everyone else.
In your honest opinion is there any doubt that Herbie is a better athlete and is performing better today than Boyd?

The way see it the club has to give Boyd a shot. His last option being next to the chalk if he fails he slides right off the field.he has 14 games to show he still has it.

I don't like it but part of me thinks if Hancock could reinvent himself then so can Boyd.

I don’t get how anyone can even defend Boyd being in the 17.

He lost the plot at fullback which has been his prime position for the majority of his career, got shifted to 6 to try and justify a spot in the team and he derped it up there too.

I can’t even believe my ears when I hear that now he is likely to be given first crack at a centre or wing position. Fully fit, Bird and Staggs are the starting centres end of story. Unless they find a new position for Bird but with our current squad, centre is still his best position. Oates will be on one wing and I can’t fathom why you would pick Boyd over Farnsworth or Coates for the sake of sentiment.

They can hide behind the experience card all they like but **** lot of good Boyd’s ‘experience’ and leadership did last year.

Just because he was a good SOO winger doesn’t mean he would make a good NRL winger in the current climate. He played outside GI at origin level for starters and could actually run back then when he still had some inkling of confidence in his body.

Going to be fan fucking tastic sitting through another fucking season of torture when the likes of Maika Sivo and Ken Maumolo absolutely steam roll that fucking pea heart one on one for the easiest of tries. If this is allowed to happen and he keeps being picked Seibold can **** off right now.

Deja vu all over again...kept repeating pre season that we needed a new captain, and this shit has come full circle. They will never drop Boyd, surely he has some shit on the board or coach.

Self preservation will rule the day. Boyd will have to be on song or he will retire. The confusing thing for me is the 15 game thingy in his contract. IF that is true then he can't be allowed to achieve that number because there is no way we can carry his salary in 2021.
If that's right then why bother giving him an opportunity next year. Better to get the future set up.

In your honest opinion is there any doubt that Herbie is a better athlete and is performing better today than Boyd?

I honestly can't say, haven't seen how they have been going in training. Probably won't know the answer to who is performing better until that first trial game.

I wouldn't say herbie is necessarily a better athlete either. Depends on how you want to look at that. He is probably more athletic these days than Darius, but Boyd is still in good shape. Being a good athlete doesn't mean you are a good footballer at the same time.

"It's never come from me that Darius or the older guys are on notice or are going to play Queensland Cup”

He’s talking about McCullough, isn’t he...

Last edited:
It could just be media politcs. Saying he would be possibly dropped would fuel the media hard before pre season. We do need a smoother pre season after last year! I dont think Seibs is that stupid to not consider it.

Last edited:
It could just be media politcs. Saying he would be possibly dropped would fuel the media hard before pre season. We do need a smoother pre season after last year! I dont think Seibs is that stupid to not consider it.
It would make it less of a circus to just say Boyd’s not currently in the 17 and has to earn his way in.

It would make it less of a circus to just say Boyd’s not currently in the 17 and has to earn his way in.

I know what you're saying, but everyone knows Boyd's form wasnt up to scratch, and probably wont improve. Its easier for the club to manage against the given and be overly positive then to pour fuel onto the obvious - i support this method as long as they draw the line come trial's and start of the season.

Could you imagine the media circus with retirement talk, Seibs not being loyal, stories about club being torn apart, old boys sticking their nose in, conspiracy theories, stat reports - the list of driven articles wouldn't end. The media are waiting for it to happen as it will be juicy. Besides Latrell, there's not much going on at the moment.

Last edited:
I cant wait to Boo Boyd at every game. Each time he comes up on screen, each time hes named.

Then get drowned out by the happy clappers as you're the only one in your section that isn't wondering why Jonathan Thurston isn't playing for the Queensland Broncos today.

This is really odd messaging. The whole team was put on notice after the debacle against Parramatta except for our worst player because he is old and has played in good teams before. Weird.
Huh? How was he the exception? When you guys have an agenda you just are incapable of reason.

Yup, agree. Look, I don't think Darius can cause too much damage out on the wing, as opposed to when he was fullback or 5/8 and he was clearly caught out all season. Let's give him the chance to prove he deserves to stay in the team (but only on the wing). If after a few games it is evident he is not putting in the effort, then he gets put out to QCup pasture.

Yeah I agree. As much as I want him to retire or play qcup, I think by giving this a go isn’t the worse possible outcome.

If he nails it then great. If he is shithouse, then Seibold can tactfully say “we’re moving you to qcup just to gain more confidence on the wing for a few weeks”. Make it so he doesn’t play 15 NRL games, then it’s bye bye, Darius!

I honestly can't say, haven't seen how they have been going in training. Probably won't know the answer to who is performing better until that first trial game.

I wouldn't say herbie is necessarily a better athlete either. Depends on how you want to look at that. He is probably more athletic these days than Darius, but Boyd is still in good shape. Being a good athlete doesn't mean you are a good footballer at the same time.

Absolutely agree with you on this Wolfie. Darius is still smarter footy-wise compared to Farnworth for example. I really didn't see what all the hype was about with Herbie in the couple of games he played. I honestly think some people here are a little infatuated with him solely because of his 'cool' name and they are getting carried away as a result of that/over-hyping him.

I don't care how many tries he scored in QCup last year either, NRL is a completely different ball game.

Last edited:
I think he is sending the wrong message altogether. He should have said after the way the team performed last year, and in particular how we finished the year, no one is guaranteed a position in this side, regardless of their experience or seniority. It is up to them to justify their inclusion in the trial games by how they perform in the pre-season. To maintain their position they have to maintain their performance.

They should then have the balls to drop players that don't comply, no matter who they are.

I think he is sending the wrong message altogether. He should have said after the way the team performed last year, and in particular how we finished the year, no one is guaranteed a position in this side, regardless of their experience or seniority. It is up to them to justify their inclusion in the trial games by how they perform in the pre-season. To maintain their position they have to maintain their performance.

They should then have the balls to drop players that don't comply, no matter who they are.
Agree

All good coaches eventually come to the correct conclusion that they should be fielding a team made up of their best performing players. Let’s hope we have a good coach and he reaches that conclusion sooner then later.

Unread

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • john1420
  • Foordy
  • Strop
  • Mr Fourex
  • Maroon4life
  • broncoscope
  • lynx000
  • Sproj
  • PETERN
  • Broncosgirl
  • Wolfie
  • Skyblues87
  • FACTHUNT
  • Xzei
  • Porthoz
  • sooticus
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.