Bellamys article

I'm all for bagging Bellamy but first I'd like to bag out The Australian (come at me go back to your own country people!) for requiring me to login to read the rest of the article. I didn't, so I will never see the rest of that article unless someone who is willing to login quotes the juicy bits.

I think you need to pay to see the full articles with the Australian too don't you?

I don't know I just read it in the actual paper and posted the link

People still read actual newspapers?

THERE is a scourge element creeping into our game called the "surrender" tackle.

I put inverted commas around the word surrender because I feel it's time Daniel Anderson and the NRL put a definitive interpretation of what that tackle means. Then referees can rule on it and get it out of our game because I believe it's against the spirit of rugby league.

More than ever, I'm noticing players surrendering in tackles this year. I haven't studied any statistics but there are definitely teams in our competition happy enough to take the metres -- on the back of quick play-the-balls -- without having to play too much footy.

One off the ruck is where I see it most. Normally you would meet the defensive line at around 5m to 6m. Now it's more like 10m because the defence is on the back foot due to the quick play the ball.
Digital Pass $1 for first 28 Days

I'll bet the number of metres gained across the NRL this season is higher than last, because there are plenty of players that lose their legs as soon as they get into contact.

They drop to the elbows-knees position, which is ideal to be able to speed up the play the ball because they're not on their back, or their side.

So they actually want to fall into that position. I've got no problem if players get into that position by fighting for it, but to surrender to get into that position is not good for our game.

I was taught at a young age, and I'm sure most footballers still believe in it, that with or without the ball you fight for every inch, for every metre, to gain advantage.

But some teams seem to be using the surrender tackle for advantage. I know the referees have got a lot to watch and adjudicate on, but you shouldn't get a benefit for surrendering.

That's not what our game is about. Our game is about fighting to win these contests.

Some teams are happy to take those easy metres to build pressure, without having to string passes together and execute their plans effectively to gain an advantage.

That goes to back to Super League times and no one wants to go back to that style. I'm not saying we're at that stage but there are signs we're heading that way.

I won't name the teams and individuals that I see doing this regularly but it's getting to the stage where I am seriously considering coaching it among my Melbourne Storm players because I see the advantage other teams are getting from it.

I'd hate to do that because I believe it's against the spirit of the game. I raised it at the coaches-referees meeting earlier this year, but I don't think it is called enough on the field.

So we need a definite interpretation on what is a surrender tackle. It's not just me having concerns about this issue. I've spoken to a few other coaches and a few other figures in our game, and they also think it's happening too much.

I'VE always been a big supporter of the City-Country game. I coached Country for three years and I saw the benefits first-hand for both players and the people in the country towns.

I'd like to see the game survive because it helps our game in the bush, where it's been struggling. But as far as a trial for the NSW Origin team goes, we should see it as only part of the process -- not the be-all and end-all.

If clubs and coaches keep treating it as something they don't want their players involved in, then it will be dropped.

To help it survive, maybe we should piggy-back City-Country with the Tonga-Samoa game. The fans in the bush love seeing the NRL players in their own town. These four sides are full of NRL stars so it would be a great double-header but make it a Saturday afternoon-evening, not Sunday.

At the moment, I've got a problem with the City-Country game being on Sunday, which then forces some players to back up four days later for their clubs due to Anzac Day. We don't even allow that short of turnaround in the NRL, yet we are doing that with rep football this year.

Players want to play this game. My two -- Ryan Hoffman and Ryan Hinchcliffe -- felt truly honoured. Hoffy is captain of City and Hinchy was looking forward to this third Country jersey, but is out with injury. He is one of the players out with a legitimate injury, having a medial ligament tear in his knee that will keep him out for six weeks.

We should work to keep this game alive.

Good whinge from Bellyache, he is dirty his team is losing the advantage gained from the wrestle and standing players up before having a third come in and take their legs.
He evolved the game in a particular direction by exploring the rules and pushing their limits to his advantage now other teams are countering that. Looks like it's back to you Craig to invent some other crap method to suit your team instead of whining through the media that things aren't going your way.

Now that I've read the article I can truly say Bellamy is a wanker.
I don't even know where to start but out of all people for him to be whinging about so called "spirit of the game" around the ruck... SMH.

Hahahahah!!! Bellamy complaining about tactics that are against the spirit of the game, frig me dead, just when you thought you've seen it all. Back to the drawing board Bellyshitface!

Yeah, even as a casual Bellamy supporter, that's a bit rich.

That said, it's not as if the Storm are these days the best at wrestling on the ground. Sure they "invented" it, but nowadays most teams are adept at it so the surrender tackle effects all teams equally.

Dear Craig,
smallestviolinwz41_The_World_s_Smallest-s550x285-85946-580.jpg

Kind regards,
Rugby League fans

I don't know why I read that, I knew it would make me angry.

Unread

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • Morkel
  • I bleed Maroon
  • winslow_wong
  • Galah
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Mustafur
  • Broncosgirl
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.