Ben Hunt poised to join Wayne Bennett’s exclusive Switcheroo club

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
IT’S early days — he has yet to play a full game at hooker — but, following his spectacular 58-minute cameo against the Titans, Ben Hunt is on track to earn a place in one of rugby league’s most exclusive clubs — Wayne Bennett’s Switcheroo Hall of Fame.

The master coach has changed the course of matches, seasons and careers many times with his positional changes over the years.

Some have been more successful than others — Wendell Sailor’s foray into the forwards was short-lived, and Bennett’s insistence on playing Kevvie Walters at five-eighth and moving Wally Lewis to lock was a major factor behind The King’s departure from Red Hill.

Others have proved to be masterstrokes. Such as:

Darren Lockyer (fullback to five-eighth 2004)

With the retirement of Ben Ikin, Bennett handed Lockyer — then regarded as the world’s best fullback — the number six jumper. Despite early criticism and calls for him to be moved back to his old position, Bennett persevered and in 2006 Lockyer was named the world’s best five-eighth after captaining Brisbane, Queensland and Australia to grand final and series wins.

Shaun Berrigan (centre to hooker 2006)

In a situation similar to Bennett’s current conundrum, the Broncos’ first-choice hookers Barry Berrigan and Michael Ennis were both ruled out for the season. Bennett switched Berrigan’s younger brother Shaun from centre to hooker in a late season move that added a new dimension to Brisbane’s attack. Berrigan scored the winning try and was named Man of the Match in the 15-8 grand final win over Melbourne.
Justin Hodges (centre to fullback 2006) After an injury-plagued season, Hodges was Bennett’s shock choice to replace the injured Karmichael Hunt. Along with the switch of Berrigan to hooker, Hodges’ move helped revitalise the Broncos’ shaky season and saw them go all the way to the grand final in which he scored Brisbane’s first try.

David Stagg (backrow to centre 2006)

With one of his centres playing hooker and another at fullback, where else would Bennett go looking for a grand final replacement than the forward pack? Stagg was a hardworking, no-nonsense second-rower or lock to whom Bennett handed the toughest assignment in the game: contain Greg Inglis. It was a job he carried out with tradesman-like efficiency. He would never step his way through the backline, but he sure could hit — as Billy Slater found out in the first play of the game.

Paul Green (halfback to hooker 2001)

Game III of Origin 2001 will always be remembered for the triumphant return of Allan Langer from England, but Alfie’s inclusion in the side required another Bennett switcheroo. Green, who had worn the number seven in the first two games, was let in on the secret of Langer’s selection and told he would be playing hooker. His reaction? “Wayne told me I would have to shift position, then he said Alfie was coming back. Geez I was happy. I didn’t give my situation a second thought”. Queensland won the decider 40-14.

Peter Jackson (centre to five-eighth 1988)

With the great Wally Lewis ruled out of the first game of the 1988 Origin series Queensland was a state of panic. No-one, the fans felt, could fill The King’s giant boots. Bennett convinced the selectors to go with Jackson. “I knew he would rally to the occasion and emotion of the challenge,” he said later. He certainly did, playing his role to perfection and guiding the Maroons to a 28-16 win.

If Hunt’s change of position proves even half as successful as any of Bennett’s best, Broncos fans will have plenty to cheer about before the season is out.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...b/news-story/a1b9110a8a682be46cc0c6ef8d507fbb

Gene Miles move to the backrow really helped a Broncos forward pack that didn't have the grunt to match the real contenders. As for Wally Lewis, injuries hurt him in 1990 not the move to lock and in reality it was the right decision. the Walters/Langer combination was the future and Lewis had prior experience playing at lock and with his ball skills would have been fantastic if not for those injuries.

Wendall Sailor's experience in the second row may have been short-lived but he did show real potential there to be a deadly backrower, I remember him setting up a very young Darren Lockyer for a try from sucking in defenders and offloading to him.

Found it and this is not Darren's Debut either

Sailor probably would have had a successful career in the backrow if he made the switch permanently and really committed to it.

The Storm game this year was the first time I had really seen him up close and fucking hell the guy is massive. Built like a skyscraper. It's no wonder he was such a damaging winger.

IT’S early days — he has yet to play a full game at hooker — but, following his spectacular 58-minute cameo against the Titans, Ben Hunt is on track to earn a place in one of rugby league’s most exclusive clubs — Wayne Bennett’s Switcheroo Hall of Fame.

The master coach has changed the course of matches, seasons and careers many times with his positional changes over the years.

Some have been more successful than others — Wendell Sailor’s foray into the forwards was short-lived, and Bennett’s insistence on playing Kevvie Walters at five-eighth and moving Wally Lewis to lock was a major factor behind The King’s departure from Red Hill.

Others have proved to be masterstrokes. Such as:

Darren Lockyer (fullback to five-eighth 2004)

With the retirement of Ben Ikin, Bennett handed Lockyer — then regarded as the world’s best fullback — the number six jumper. Despite early criticism and calls for him to be moved back to his old position, Bennett persevered and in 2006 Lockyer was named the world’s best five-eighth after captaining Brisbane, Queensland and Australia to grand final and series wins.

Shaun Berrigan (centre to hooker 2006)

In a situation similar to Bennett’s current conundrum, the Broncos’ first-choice hookers Barry Berrigan and Michael Ennis were both ruled out for the season. Bennett switched Berrigan’s younger brother Shaun from centre to hooker in a late season move that added a new dimension to Brisbane’s attack. Berrigan scored the winning try and was named Man of the Match in the 15-8 grand final win over Melbourne.
Justin Hodges (centre to fullback 2006) After an injury-plagued season, Hodges was Bennett’s shock choice to replace the injured Karmichael Hunt. Along with the switch of Berrigan to hooker, Hodges’ move helped revitalise the Broncos’ shaky season and saw them go all the way to the grand final in which he scored Brisbane’s first try.

David Stagg (backrow to centre 2006)

With one of his centres playing hooker and another at fullback, where else would Bennett go looking for a grand final replacement than the forward pack? Stagg was a hardworking, no-nonsense second-rower or lock to whom Bennett handed the toughest assignment in the game: contain Greg Inglis. It was a job he carried out with tradesman-like efficiency. He would never step his way through the backline, but he sure could hit — as Billy Slater found out in the first play of the game.

Paul Green (halfback to hooker 2001)

Game III of Origin 2001 will always be remembered for the triumphant return of Allan Langer from England, but Alfie’s inclusion in the side required another Bennett switcheroo. Green, who had worn the number seven in the first two games, was let in on the secret of Langer’s selection and told he would be playing hooker. His reaction? “Wayne told me I would have to shift position, then he said Alfie was coming back. Geez I was happy. I didn’t give my situation a second thought”. Queensland won the decider 40-14.

Peter Jackson (centre to five-eighth 1988)

With the great Wally Lewis ruled out of the first game of the 1988 Origin series Queensland was a state of panic. No-one, the fans felt, could fill The King’s giant boots. Bennett convinced the selectors to go with Jackson. “I knew he would rally to the occasion and emotion of the challenge,” he said later. He certainly did, playing his role to perfection and guiding the Maroons to a 28-16 win.

If Hunt’s change of position proves even half as successful as any of Bennett’s best, Broncos fans will have plenty to cheer about before the season is out.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...b/news-story/a1b9110a8a682be46cc0c6ef8d507fbb

How does stagg get a mention but hodges to fullback not for 2006?
It is in there but you have to look hard

Now I see it. What hodges did in that bulldogs game is legendary. He deserved to be mentioned by name at least.
It's almost like they had this great idea for an article with the headline act being Lockyer to 5/8, then started realising most of the broncos specific ones were from 2006 and caused by mass injuries... but **** it I've already written 200 words and sold it to the bosses... better look into the origin archives

Wouldn't the switch be Bennett getting him out of Hook's hooker roll and moving him to halfback so he could stink it up there instead?

Was Stagg the one containing Inglis? I seem to remember Berrigan being given the role of fucking Inglis and SBW's shit up.

Was Stagg the one containing Inglis? I seem to remember Berrigan being given the role of fucking Inglis and SBW's shit up.

and Berrigan was bloody good at it too

It was Berrigan. They swapped positions in defence - Stagg moved in to the middle and Berrigan went out wide to mark Inglis.

Yeah, I thought so. I remember Berro not giving them anything

Unread

Active Now

• Ghost of Vlansys
  • Dash
  • broncos4life
  • Jedhead
  • Lurker
  • Pablo
  • Culhwch
  • Gaz
  • Browny
  • Harry Sack
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • sooticus
  • Manofoneway
  • TimWhatley
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Dreaglor
  • theshed
  • Redfern_1980
  • marw
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.