Ben Hunt vs Ash Taylor

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Who is going to be better in the next few years and why?

I'm not sure they're even comparable. Taylor's kicking game is miles ahead of Hunts yet as a ball playing and ball running half, Hunt has it over Taylor in spades, so which do you more value?

So? How many average halves have led their team to a Grand Final? Josh Reynolds, Daniel Mortimer, Mitch Pearce, Brett Firman. Is Luke Keary better than both since his side actually won the grand final?

It isn't like that was a fluke from Taylor either. His running game was a feature of his NYC career and he's only 21 years of age. What was Ben Hunt doing at this time? Was he one of the best young players in the game when he was warming the bench?

No I meant he literally took us there. Hunt individually had a fantastic year in 2015. Did all of those halves you mentioned have a fantastic year individually when they went to the GF?

Did all of those halves you mentioned have a fantastic year individually when they went to the GF?

Yes.

They also received the same support Hunt did from his players.

Taking a team to the Grand Final a year ago doesn't mean he's going to be a better player in 2018.

I think that's a bit harsh on Hunt to be honest. he was very important for us last year, especially early on when Milf was still trying to find his feet. But he didn't just clock off when Milf started to fire, he kept up his form and stayed pretty consistent throughout the year. I seem to remember he was pretty high in the Dally M stakes at one stage as well and debate inevitably sprung up about who deserved to play Origin more, Hunt or DCE. Hunt deserves a bit more credit than you seem to be granting him for last year, in my opinion.

I do think it's earned him a little bit of latitude regarding his current mediocre form though.

Ben Hunt at full flight is arguably the best halfback in the game and I wouldn't trade him for anyone. His running game is elite and he also has that ability to be clutch - something that only the greats have.

He'll find full form soon, I'm sure of it.

I think that's a bit harsh on Hunt to be honest. he was very important for us last year, especially early on when Milf was still trying to find his feet. But he didn't just clock off when Milf started to fire, he kept up his form and stayed pretty consistent throughout the year. I seem to remember he was pretty high in the Dally M stakes at one stage as well and debate inevitably sprung up about who deserved to play Origin more, Hunt or DCE. Hunt deserves a bit more credit than you seem to be granting him for last year, in my opinion.

That isn't the point.

The point is that making a grand final in 2015 doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be a great player in 2018.

That isn't the point.

The point is that making a grand final in 2015 doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be a great player in 2018.

But what has Hunt done to suggest to you he won't be good in 2018? What has Taylor shown you to prove he won't pull a Barba? I find your timing interesting to be honest considering Hunt just had probably his best game of the season.

That isn't the point.

No it doesn't... But it doesn't mean he won't be either.

It's all speculation as with most things in football, but Hunt has proven far more than Ashley Taylor has.

I haven't said anything one way or another. Just pointing out a few facts and a few flaws in your argument.

Just interested to see the response.

BP, how are we supposed to answer this question if we can't bring up previous form? The answer is nobody really knows but ****, don't get all sassy when someone gives you a reason as to why that doesn't fit your thoughts..

I haven't said anything one way or another. Just pointing out a few facts and a few flaws in your argument.

Just interested to see the response.

As Tera suggested, there are a lot of hypotheticals in your question. As such it's just speculation discussing it until Taylor has well and truly established himself in first grade. Taylor plays his 8th first grade game next week. He certainly deserves the benefit of the doubt considering his form so far this year, but that could change on a dime so early in his career.

BP, how are we suuposed to answer this question if we can't bring up previous form?

Who said you couldn't?

I just said taking a team to a grand final doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be as good three years down the track and gave examples.

That doesn't stop anyone from bringing up the traits that makes Hunt so valuable to the club.

Let's make it very clear that I am quite biased, but taking out considerations of loyalty (which Hunt certainly deserves), severe injuries or other serious situations, which can bring a player metaphorically or literally to his knees, I believe that, based on what I have seen of both over many years:

- Hunt will not get any better that he is now (I mean ability wise, not form wise), although experience always helps of course.
- Taylor will go on to become a (the) prime halfback in the NRL, because the only thing he lacks, is the above mentioned experience. He is very fast, smart, has a great passing, running and kicking game, and only needs to learn to better utilise his talent.

in my honest crystal ball opinion, WB will be looking to bring Taylor back in 2018 to pair him with Milford.

Let's make it very clear that I am quite biased, but taking out considerations of loyalty (which Hunt certainly deserves), severe injuries or other serious situations, which can bring a player metaphorically or literally to his knees, I believe that, based on what I have seen of both over many years:

- Hunt will not get any better that he is now (I mean ability wise, not form wise), although experience always helps of course.
- Taylor will go on to become a (the) prime halfback in the NRL, because the only thing he lacks, is the above mentioned experience. He is very fast, smart, has a great passing, running and kicking game, and only needs to learn to better utilise his talent.

in my honest crystal ball opinion, WB will be looking to bring Taylor back in 2018 to pair him with Milford.

Bullshit

Active Now

• Morepudding
  • Gaz
  • Johnny92
  • porouian
  • Xzei
  • Dash
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Foordy
  • Jazza
  • Harry Sack
  • theshed
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Culhwch
  • broncsgoat
  • Lazza
  • Broncosarethebest
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.