NEWS Ben Ikin opens up on Broncos exit

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Source: WWOS

Former Brisbane football boss Ben Ikin has finally shed some light on the breakdown of his working relationship with Broncos head coach Kevin Walters. Ikin quit the Red Hill club earlier this month to take up a position with Queensland Rugby League.

His resignation followed months of speculation he was clashing with Walters, although the latter denied there was any rift when he spoke to Triple M radio three weeks ago.

Now, Ikin has spoken about his time at the Broncos and admitted he and Walters realised the situation was untenable. "I had some expectations in my head about what I'd agreed to and what I thought the GM (general manager) of football role encompassed and it sort of started that way," he told 4BC's Wide World of Sports Radio."Then once you sort of get your teeth in the role, you know and understand, OK, well things never come at you in a straight line in this game, that's the one thing you know about rugby league is that what I expected was not what I walked into and that was no one's fault, it just all happened really quick.

"So we got to work, things evolved, the program started to improve and then things changed and you needed to adapt and so I did and Kevvie did and that was all overseen by (CEO) Dave Donaghy.

"Then there was this sort of period where Kevvie and I, and I've sort of spoken about this openly, is we were coming at the same thing, the same problem, in the hope to find the safe solution but just coming from different sides, different approaches and so we challenged each other.

There were a lot of robust conversations and then sort of two years in the footy program - which was clearly in better shape than what it was a couple of years ago - kind of then had to be finished up, (and) had to happen in Kevvie's image, not in mine.

"He's the head coach, ultimate responsibility sits with him so short answer is that I came in expecting to do a certain number of things, some of those things dropped off, I picked up some other things but the end result is Kevvie, Dave and I will leave on good terms and the Broncos are in pretty good shape." The Broncos were the reigning wooden spooners when Walters took the reins in 2021. They missed finals in his first two years in charge but now sit fourth on the NRL ladder with eight wins from 12 games this season.

Oof. Role clarity is pretty important in a professional organisation, that kind of leaves both Ikin and DD with egg on their faces - not so much Kev as like Ben said, coaches live or die by the results so they have got to have responsibility, so it's a good thing IMO that Kev was pushing back.

This is purely because of the lack of clarity over who's show it is. Kevs or Ikins.

Kevy probably has put in the hard work with the team, their resilience and directly how they performed in 2022 but some or all of that success was attributed to Ikin. I don't think it was ever the clubs intention for that to occur but Ikin had a job to work with Kev to reshape the playing roster and get a squad that Kev could work with. Moving on Lodge, TPJ etc and Signings like Capewell and Reynolds can be attributed to this. If you remember, Ikin was making comment on all of the new signings and also any roster movement which added to the lack of clarity. I highly doubt Kev was uninvolved in any of this but its the outside perception which is key.

Kev's argument would be using examples of Gamble and Cobbo talking out of school as to who is in charge of the club and pulls the strings which really when you think about it cannot occur. At the start of the year Ikin had his role refined to ensure that Kev had the final say in all matters that affect his performance because the reality is, Kevs head is on the chopping block. The argument has merit and i can see why Ikins role changed after 2022.

Ah it all sounds okay to me. He had a few good years, good things were done and then he got a better role. I think they’re all pretty cool about it.

Yeah sounds like a corporate structure thing ie who answers to who and who’s responsibility is what, and then how that was applied to the roles of each and what Ikin thought his role would be

I think he really wanted complete control or authority in some aspects wherein reality that wasn’t the case or couldn’t happen without completely undermining Kev in the eyes of Joe Public

No one’s fault, just didn’t properly work in the end with the people involved, but it was definitely beneficial for everyone I think

Look, I really don't see this as any sort of "rift" that was causing issues at the club. From the sounds of things, even though they had different ideas on how to achieve their goals, they both acted professionally and in the interests of the club. Technically, yes, when you think about what a "head of football" role would be, you'd assume they have the ultimate responsibility and therefore the final call. But they both would have realised that Walters' job as head coach necessitated autonomy in a great number of areas, ie, the roster, the playing style to suit etc.

The alternative is what happens in clubs that end up genuinely divided - clubs where someone higher up over-ride's the coaches decisions, undermines their authority, and the coach ends up coaching a team that they didn't want, with players that don't suit the style they have worked towards. The one that comes to mind is the Tigers. I can't see a disciplinarian like Madge wanting to recruit flashy but lazy players like Blowjob Leilua etc.

The right call has been made - and while it would have been great if Ikin could still be a part of what we are building, it almost seems as if the overhaul that was needed has been done, and his role is no longer necessary. At least to the extent that a full time head-of-football would do. Donuts and Kevy likely have it covered.

In my experience if this is what you’re willing to say publicly the truth is probably a little more extreme.

I know it's rare, especially in this sport ... but some people do tell the truth.

something Wally said stuck with me ... "normally when there is disaster at the top, and unrest ... that makes it's way pretty quickly to the performance of the footy team each week. and that does not appear to be one bit apparent this year"

I know it's rare, especially in this sport ... but some people do tell the truth.

something Wally said stuck with me ... "normally when there is disaster at the top, and unrest ... that makes it's way pretty quickly to the performance of the footy team each week. and that does not appear to be one bit apparent this year"
Well I would say the end of last year was a disaster which resulted in firings, resignations, and even Ikin’s demotion. I’d say it was just handled fairly well over the off season once it had occurred

Ah it all sounds okay to me. He had a few good years, good things were done and then he got a better role. I think they’re all pretty cool about it.

Totally.....once again the media, is trying to make nothing into something.

If an organisation isn't having passionate discussions about the facts of life, something's wrong.

I'm not exactly sure what Ben Ikin can be congratulated for ....RE his time at The Broncs
maybe its fucking off,
with class.

I guess we better pick someone soon to take over, otherwise we might appear as a rudderless ship to @McHunt and his overlords.....?

Totally.....once again the media, is trying to make nothing into something.

If an organisation isn't having passionate discussions about the facts of life, something's wrong.

I'm not exactly sure what Ben Ikin can be congratulated for ....RE his time at The Broncs
maybe its fucking off,
with class.

I guess we better pick someone soon to take over, otherwise we might appear as a rudderless ship to @McHunt and his overlords.....?
All these guys, what are they called, football managers or directors of football. It’s a made-up title. It’s absolutely made up. Basically, the football manager should be a lackey for the head coach unless you are Phil Gould. These guys all think they are Phil Gould. Let me tell you, Phil Gould’s role at Canterbury was made for Phil Gould, there aren’t too many people like him who can go to an organisation and be the boss.​

Sounds like Ikin wanted the NFL style GM role, and didn’t get it.

What's an NFL style GM role?

Someone that's in charge of player acquisitions, scouting, contract negotiations, coordinating with coaches to build a roster, managing the salary cap and managing the teams operations.

There would be a couple more things.

Someone that's in charge of player acquisitions, scouting, contract negotiations, coordinating with coaches to build a roster, managing the salary cap and managing the teams operations.

There would be a couple more things.
Which would be similar to the football / soccer style.

Head coach outlines what he wants to do on the field, players he needs, etc. and the GM goes out and finds them to present to the coach... coach identifies who he wants out of the lot and GM works towards recruiting them.

Allows the head coach to focus solely on the team itself and leaves everything around it to the GM.

I believe at the start of Ikin's tenure there was much said about Ikin, DD and Kevvie all working collaboratively ie. Ikin and Kevvie at an equal level from a hierarchy perspective.

Ikin also recounts a conversation with Kevvie about what does a Kevin Walters team look like and play like... that to me sounds like a discussion a GM would have with the coach to know what kind of players to look for.

Also I think when Ikin did start Nolan was still in place... basically only so Ikin could come in and sack him... Scanlon then starting moving up the ladder from junior scouting / pathways to heading up the recruitment and retention (or something like that).

My understanding is that Scanlon is effectively in Nolan's old role, which concerns me a little because he's somewhat of a legacy from the 2020 debacle whereby the focus was bringing a whole bunch of kids through and having zero experienced old heads around them.

Since 2020 the focus has been on depth and experienced players (Reynolds, Capewell, Jenson, James, TMM, Kelly, Brenko, Pereira, etc.)... obviously they're not all superstars, but they mostly had some NRL experience to sprinkle around the kids and show them the way.

We have somewhat moved away from that again losing a lot of depth and promoting the kids again... I just hope the former kids are now good enough to be the leaders the next lot need

What's an NFL style GM role?
What @Super Freak said. There are very few coaches in the NFL that are in charge of both roster and coaching. You have to be a Wayne bennet or Craig Bellamy to get that privilege anyway the GM gets a lot of glory, and a lot of accountability.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Astro
  • Old Mate
  • winslow_wong
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Redux
  • FACTHUNT
  • Sproj
  • MrTickyMcG
  • tajhay
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Culhwch
  • Galah
  • MrRobot
  • Big Del
  • Stix
  • Justwin
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.