Ben Ikin talks salary cap

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I think this deserves it's own thread for discussion but instead of letting Badel's hyperbole to infect the thread. i'll just post Ben Ikin's own words:

Ben Ikin on Lodge's departure:

“Matt’s payout gets amortised over the length of the existing deal, the NRL will allow that,” Ikin said.

“We felt based on what we had coming through, we could use the salary-cap space from Matt’s departure to help develop some of the great young forwards coming through.

“We have plans around how much money we’ve got and accept that it will be less than we could have had.

“There are several factors that can impact on what you are getting out of your $9.5 million.

“If you get into a situation where you don’t value players correctly, then effectively that can be seen as having less money in your cap.”

Ikin on speculation we should have stacks of cash after losing Milford

“Managing the cap is not a perfect science,” Ikin said.

“When Anthony Milford goes, for example, all people see is the price tag attached to Milford (he was on $1 million at the Broncos), not realising we have Adam Reynolds coming in.

“Matt Lodge might have gone, but Kurt Capewell will come into our squad next year.

“If you have a good group of senior players in the right positions, then you can get more out of your emerging talent than you may have been hoping for under the salary cap.

“We are trying to do everything better here. What’s true for the success of a footy team is true for the management of our salary cap.

“If you aren’t improving in this game, you are going backwards.”

Meaning Lodge's departure will affect our cap for a couple more years? That sucks. Would really have liked to have completely wiped some of these guys off our books permanently.

Though is Lodge the only one we'll be carrying now? Bird, McCullough, theirs would be over now (Edit: I mean when this season ends). TPJ sounds like he's getting more from the Dogs than he was with us so we should be carrying zero. Who else were we paying to play against us?

Meaning Lodge's departure will affect our cap for a couple more years? That sucks. Would really have liked to have completely wiped some of these guys off our books permanently.

Though is Lodge the only one we'll be carrying now? Bird, McCullough, theirs would be over now (Edit: I mean when this season ends). TPJ sounds like he's getting more from the Dogs than he was with us so we should be carrying zero. Who else were we paying to play against us?
Would not bat an eye if we were still paying Boyd an amount this year.

Would not bat an eye if we were still paying Boyd an amount this year.

If we were, I am sure the NRL would have dragged us through the coals. Otherwise teams would just sign end-of-career players on a low per-year deal but over multiple years and then they "retire" so they can be paid out over subsequent years instead of burdening the cap with their true value for that year.

If we were, I am sure the NRL would have dragged us through the coals. Otherwise teams would just sign end-of-career players on a low per-year deal but over multiple years and then they "retire" so they can be paid out over subsequent years instead of burdening the cap with their true value for that year.
Nah, I don’t think it would have taken much of an investigation to determine that Boyd was past it. Also don’t think it would be a smart move to use part of your cap on players you know years in advance won’t be there.

I have no insider information or contact/source to confirm, but I just get the sense that we are playing our cards close to the chest and may have some cash set aside for a decent fullback/hooker should one become available this off season.

So who are the people responsible for contributing to this situation the Broncos are in ?

*NB, extra likes given to responses that include Wayne Bennett 😛

The article doesn’t make any sense, first we are almost $1m over this year, then we are $800k over for next year? Which is it? The nrl wouldn’t allow us to play if we weren’t cap compliant to start the season, and in fact I remember badel claiming we had $600k free to sign Smith?

As an ASX listed company the club really should have to release a statement clarifying the report. Particularly since directors are required to sign stat decs that say we are cap compliant.

The article doesn’t make any sense, first we are almost $1m over this year, then we are $800k over for next year? Which is it? The nrl wouldn’t allow us to play if we weren’t cap compliant to start the season, and in fact I remember badel claiming we had $600k free to sign Smith?

As an ASX listed company the club really should have to release a statement clarifying the report. Particularly since directors are required to sign stat decs that say we are cap compliant.
There are other irregularities in that yarn, like mentioning Coates as a player who was supposedly a victim of the salary cap problem.. Didn’t he accept a smaller offer to go to Melbourne IRL ?

Thank you Paul White!
the simpsons escalator GIF

we are (or were) almost $1 million dollars this season yet the NRL not only allowed us to play ... but also to SIGN players for THIS season (Asiata and Copley come to mind).

being significantly over works for his current clickbait.
having a free 600k to sign Smith, worked for his February clickbait.

I doubt anyone at the club has let him look at our books, and we certainly aren't going to confess to a reporter about breaching the cap by $1 million

being significantly over works for his current clickbait.
having a free 600k to sign Smith, worked for his February clickbait.
If you reckon it's "clickbait" and need to whinge about it on a daily basis, why do you keep dutifully reposting it? **** me dead. Just ignore it.

Whatever Ikin is telling the media is what he wants out there.

If you reckon it's "clickbait" and need to whinge about it on a daily basis, why do you keep dutifully reposting it? **** me dead. Just ignore it.

Whatever Ikin is telling the media is what he wants out there.

a) your god writes click bait ... that's his job

b) i post it here so people can discuss it as this is a discussion forum

c) It is the claim from Badel that were were $1 million over the cap (which is the click bait part). Ikin never says we were over the cap, let alone by that much,

d) i like to allow people to laugh at his crap. we could all use some humor during these darker times. although i see some light beginning to break through the clouds.

e) If you get offended by me having a go at your god use the ignore function, because i'm not going to stop

Makes you wonder what lanigan has been doing if we are over the cap as ultimately, she's the one who decides if we can afford it or not. Surely the buck stops with the person you employ to oversee these things.

a) your god writes click bait ... that's his job

b) i post it here so people can discuss it as this is a discussion forum

c) It is the claim from Badel that were were $1 million over the cap (which is the click bait part). Ikin never says we were over the cap, let alone by that much,

d) i like to allow people to laugh at his crap. we could all use some humor during these darker times. although i see some light beginning to break through the clouds.

e) If you get offended by me having a go at your god use the ignore function, because i'm not going to stop

"Click bait" refers to a headline that misleads you about the content of the body copy. How many times do you need to be told Badel doesn't write the headlines? That's a sub-editorial job.

If you mean the body itself is incorrect, I wouldn't know because I'm not privy to the Broncos' books. But neither are you.

As for "teh clicks' which you seem to think are some kind of crime against your higher intelligence. Stop fucking clicking on them, or stop whinging. Pick one.

Active Now

• TimWhatley
  • FACTHUNT
  • Tim K
  • Santa
  • Pablo
  • broncos4life
  • Financeguy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Bish
  • Broncorob
  • Allo
  • Tmac
  • Waynesaurus
  • mieko
  • lynx000
  • BroncosAlways
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Lozza
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.