Ben Ikin talks salary cap

If you reckon it's "clickbait" and need to whinge about it on a daily basis, why do you keep dutifully reposting it? **** me dead. Just ignore it.

Whatever Ikin is telling the media is what he wants out there.

Defend journalists as much as you want, I know it's because you know how the system works, but outside of that system it really doesn't deserve defending.

They are supposed to bring the public unbiased information about issues that are important. It shouldn't be tainted by bias or agenda, it shouldn't be overblown exaggerations in order to unduce outrage, and it sure as **** shouldn't be deliberately misleading.

The fact that it is almost impossible to do this whilst being a financially viable industry is not the public's problem, and their actions should absolutely not be defended because of it. If they have to stoop to the current levels in order to make money, then it fails to deliver what is required, and is therefore nothing but a self-serving industry that deserves zero respect and all the scrutiny given by people on this forum.1

Defend journalists as much as you want, I know it's because you know how the system works, but outside of that system it really doesn't deserve defending.

They are supposed to bring the public unbiased information about issues that are important. It shouldn't be tainted by bias or agenda, it shouldn't be overblown exaggerations in order to unduce outrage, and it sure as **** shouldn't be deliberately misleading.

The fact that it is almost impossible to do this whilst being a financially viable industry is not the public's problem, and their actions should absolutely not be defended because of it. If they have to stoop to the current levels in order to make money, then it fails to deliver what is required, and is therefore nothing but a self-serving industry that deserves zero respect and all the scrutiny given by people on this forum.1
1. This is sports reporting.
2. Sports is entertainment industry.
3. Bias is what makes it entertaining.
4. Entertainment isn't about "fact." It's about emotion.
5. There is a known conflict of interest between this publisher and the subject.
6. The alleged conspiracy (or agenda, if you must) works against that known conflict of interest.
7. We know Ben Ikin referred to the cap and roster situation as "disgusting."
8. We know they are so desperate to clear the cap they are willing to subsidize transfers.
9. There is smoke.

I have no idea whether the Broncos were in breach of cap, or heading towards it, but everything suggests they were. Perhaps the creative accountancy used by the previous administration didn't pass the Donuts/Ikin sniff test.

As for the numbers being thrown around: we don't know. But what we do know is Ikin will be presenting the same story to the media that he'll want the NRL to believe. There's good reason these numbers might not agree with earlier representations. If a lie is being told, it's a lie to get their stories straight.

I don't know the veracity of any of this, but I do know that presuming the media is lying for "clicks" or "agenda" is about the dumbest take, and has been a proven failure so far.

If the NRL smack the Broncos for not being salary cap compliant after winning a spoon, you bet your ass this will accelerate the death of NRL in Brisbane.

Paul White and Peter Nolan were legitimately inside jobs. No one can be that bad at their job seriously.

5. There is a known conflict of interest between this publisher and the subject.
6. The alleged conspiracy (or agenda, if you must) works against that known conflict of interest.
8. We know they are so desperate to clear the cap they are willing to subsidize transfers.
9. There is smoke.

I have no idea whether the Broncos were in breach of cap, or heading towards it, but everything suggests they were. Perhaps the creative accountancy used by the previous administration didn't pass the Donuts/Ikin sniff test.

As for the numbers being thrown around: we don't know. But what we do know is Ikin will be presenting the same story to the media that he'll want the NRL to believe. There's good reason these numbers might not agree with earlier representations. If a lie is being told, it's a lie to get their stories straight.

I don't know the veracity of any of this, but I do know that presuming the media is lying for "clicks" or "agenda" is about the dumbest take, and has been a proven failure so far.
Thanks Pete, good synopsis!

Any serious journalist would investigate Nolan and his connections to the agents of the players that got insanely obvious good deals for them / bad deals for the club.

Suss as hell.

Your cap can be in bad/disgusting shape without being over the cap.

absolutely it can ... and ours certainly was unbalanced at best.

although this thread has been mainly discussing Badel's claim that we were almost $1 million over the cap for 2021 (the headline has changed slightly to say 800k)

Any serious journalist would investigate Nolan and his connections to the agents of the players that got insanely obvious good deals for them / bad deals for the club.

Suss as hell.

As I have pointed out multiple times there are minutes kept from the RR meetings and decisions so it wouldn't take too much of an investigation to solve who said and wanted what.

Your cap can be in bad/disgusting shape without being over the cap. Ikin is the most conservative man in history- wasting money and paying too much with options and paying players at other clubs would easily fall under disgusting in his world.
What are your thoughts on Cronk getting Ikin’s old gig?

As I have pointed out multiple times there are minutes kept from the RR meetings and decisions so it wouldn't take too much of an investigation to solve who said and wanted what.

wouldn't they be confidential?

wouldn't they be confidential?

No idea of their level of secret files but my point is it's not corrupt or need an investigation when you can look at minutes and see and it would have it plainly there to see who is to blame and I am confident 99% of the time it would be whomever is the coach at the time.

Notice how that's a big change at the Broncos lately.

9. There is smoke.

Rugby League is entertainment but the reporting on it should follow the same standards as any other reporting. The public accept it as truth. The NRL is an elite competition, do you think the same style of reporting would be acceptable towards Olympic athletes or the associated sporting bodies?

The journalism is simply lazy and shallow. "Sources" are almost always just player agents looking to push a narrative, club officials looking to do the same, or anyone else who wants something "leaked". There is almost nothing in the way of fact checking, they just take what they want and present it as truth, or manipulate anything else whatever way best gives the public what they want to hear.

As to the idea that News Ltd have a conflict of interest because of the Broncos' ownership, the Broncos aren't owned as a profit making enterprise. There is far more money to be made by selling advertising via cheap clicks.

No idea of their level of secret files but my point is it's not corrupt or need an investigation when you can look at minutes and see and it would have it plainly there to see who is to blame and I am confident 99% of the time it would be whomever is the coach at the time.

Notice how that's a big change at the Broncos lately.

are you saying that Kevvie has no say in the roster anymore and from now on it'll be a "you'll coach what we give you" type scenario.

because even if the coach has nothing to do with contracts, you'd think that they'd still have a major say in recruitment and retention ... it's their job on the line after all

are you saying that Kevvie has no say in the roster anymore and from now on it'll be a "you'll coach what we give you" type scenario.

because even if the coach has nothing to do with contracts, you'd think that they'd still have a major say in recruitment and retention ... it's their job on the line after all

I didn't say anything like that, use some common sense.

Rugby League is entertainment but the reporting on it should follow the same standards as any other reporting. The public accept it as truth. The NRL is an elite competition, do you think the same style of reporting would be acceptable towards Olympic athletes or the associated sporting bodies?

The journalism is simply lazy and shallow. "Sources" are almost always just player agents looking to push a narrative, club officials looking to do the same, or anyone else who wants something "leaked". There is almost nothing in the way of fact checking, they just take what they want and present it as truth, or manipulate anything else whatever way best gives the public what they want to hear.

As to the idea that News Ltd have a conflict of interest because of the Broncos' ownership, the Broncos aren't owned as a profit making enterprise. There is far more money to be made by selling advertising via cheap clicks.
1. The notion that they're making shit up is something you're making up. Who's to say who's right here?

2. All journalism is lazy and shallow. They're not writing a thesis or adding to the body of science. It's ephemeral, and dated the second it's published.

3. You seem to be just having a general rant about the press, rather than building a case towards a particular journalist. All I see in this reaction - started by @Foordy - is one bullshitter calling another bullshitter a bullshitter. I'm not taking sides other than to correct the nonsense about clickbait.

4. The Courier Mail is a subscription news model. It doesn't rely on "teh cheap clicks." Well not on its Broncos reporting. As for the investment, maybe you should look at the stock value over time. They've done just fine.

5. As for press standards, my advice is don't get your education from the media. The more you know about any subject the more you'll see everything reported is wrong, or aligned with some political party. Reporting on the Broncos is about as good as it gets.

6. Regarding Badel: the guy is one of the hardest working, most earnest in the business. He churns out four or five times more stories about the Broncos every day than any other source. I find, on the whole, he gets it right, and if not, a correction arrives as soon as news comes to hand. He's about as neutral and inoffensive as reporting gets. I'm neither a fan nor a detractor. He's white bread.

Active Now

• Alec
  • Battler
  • BroncoFan94
  • I bleed Maroon
  • NSW stables
  • broncos4life
  • Cavalo
  • Sproj
  • Browny
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.