NEWS Benji: Darius Boyd doesn’t deserve Broncos retirement calls

Benji Marshall says Darius Boyd
doesn’t deserve Broncos retirement calls

NRL legend Benji Marshall has come out swining in support of under fire captain Darius Boyd, emphasising "form is temporary." Calls for the Boyd to forego the final two years of his lucrative contract are growing louder after the Broncos catapulted out of the finals last week. Boyd has been below his best this season and was moved from fullback to five- eighth, but Marshall said the former Australian and Queensland star had the class to potentially win the Dally M medal in 2020.

“Form is temporary, he’s a class player, he might come out next year and be the best player in the competition,” Marshall told NRL 360. “Darius doesn’t deserve for people to tell him when it’s time to retire. When you sign a contract as a professional athlete, for however long that is, you’re entitled to play that long.

“People think Darius isn’t playing good enough, yet he’s still getting picked every week, that to me means he’s living up to the coaches standards and expectations. “People have an opinion he’s not doing his job so he should retire, well if he’s not doing his job then why does he keep getting picked?”

Brisbane resurrected Marshall’s career in 2017 which paved the way for an emotional return to Wests Tigers where he won a famous premiership in 2005. The 34-year-old arguably produced some career-best form at the Tigers this season but unlike Boyd, Marshall doesn’t have a contract for 2020 and remains in negotiations with his club.

“If you’re a club and you’re signing players and you sign him for three years on big money, that’s your problem, you’ve made that commitment,” Marshall said. “If I was Darius and I love the Broncos and I’m signed there for two more years, I’m gonna stay there and do my best to make the team.

“If I’m not good enough, don’t pick me.”

“If I’m not good enough, don’t pick me.” Ok, we won't ... now where's Macca ...

Benji must have really gotten on with Boyd because even after he left Benji claimed Boyd was one of the best captains he had played under.

I wonder if he would say that had he played the previous 2 years under him? Boyd obviously must be a decent on field communicator but we can’t keep carrying him. It’s been 2 years of woeful form. Most veterans get given a tap if they go 1 whole year playing as bad as Boyd let alone 2. His grace period was over mid way through this season.

Last edited:
I agree with Benji that Darius Boyd doesn’t deserve Broncos retirement calls. His last two seasons have been way to bad to deserve that; he should be straight out sacked.

Benji left no doubt on 360 that he thinks the responsibility is all on the coach

Bullshit. Boyds form has been going downhill since 2018. 2 years now it's heading in a downward spiral.

That's not temporary. That's a sign he's losing it.

Benji left no doubt on 360 that he thinks the responsibility is all on the coach

Players sticking by other players, not that shocking. Wouldn't even be surprised to hear he got advice to say that from his agent.

The responsibility for what? The loss?

I didn’t see the segment.
He was referring to team selections mostly. Boyd continually being selected , players being selected out of position.
3rd paragraph in the story , it was the way he said it.

I feel like I'm living in the twilight zone sometimes.

Sorry Benji but the writing is on the wall , fucking Graffiti size letters, and I'm sure Darius and the Board can read. The new broom needs to sweep clean like many of the posters here are rightfully advocating. I think AS has absolutely failed along with his coaching staff to put a successful game plan together ALL year. THEY should be seriously reviewed .The inconsistency of their performances injuries aside ,has been strangely eratic . Positional changes were even stranger. Like Joey johns said "you can't manufacture a halfback" ,they come ready made . I havn't seen it mentioned here but I would have thought James Segeyaro although he's a rake could have been put to the halves with more minutes ,as he is a good dummy half can tackle and has line speed around the ruck, and might have been a better option than jake Turpin? If the Milf survives ,he should be on notice , or **** off and go play the pokies all you like. TPJ, Hass and Fifita need better managing along with lodge ,they are the making of something quite significant long term . I'm still excited for this team, make some cap space for the halves ,and we might be competitive again. We'll see what happens with this "Review" but this year after year building to nothing bullshit is building a ship without a rudder . If only we got Bellamy (if he was ever an option) this shitshow would have been avoided . Older wise heads now have to prevail , because whatever went on before stops now . We need a team back that can break records for the right reasons , so **** their off season holidays ,get back to a roster who want to play , with the facilities ,the money ,the fans , we need to get back to where we,ve always been , a once respected powerhouse of Rugby league .

Benji just saying the “right” things on tv.

Exception to the rule so far. His drive and perfectionism has proved it can be done, but he’s not a guy you come across very often.

There’s a similarity in that style with Steve Smith, just without Smith’s hilarious ticks and eccentricities

Benji just saying the “right” things on tv.

That said.....if anyone has the creds to back it up, Benji has. He went through a few shocking years himself, before...he kinda turned it around.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • GCBRONCO
  • Painin the Haas
  • The Strapper
  • Bish
  • Mister Wright
  • BroncosAlways
  • Lurker
  • azza.79
  • bazza
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Big Del
  • achievedrap
  • Allo
  • RolledOates
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.