Benji's Broncos stint not over yet

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
BENJI Marshall may not have played his last game for the Broncos yet, with Wayne Bennett saving his Tigers-bound super sub for a possible finals cameo.

Marshall on Sunday signed a one-year deal to return to the Wests Tigers in 2018 after deciding to quit the Broncos after one season.

The former Kiwis captain could have stayed at Red Hill next year, however, the $100,000 contract on offer was not enough to keep Marshall in Brisbane colours.

Instead he will make a fairytale return to Wests Tigers, the club he started his career at in 2003, won the 2005 premiership with and played 201 NRL games for.

Marshall, 32, has played nine matches for the Broncos this season but has been overlooked by Bennett for the past two. He has not played for Redcliffe in the Intrust Super Cup either.

With hooker Andrew McCullough (knee) out for the year, Bennett said he was saving Marshall in case he was needed during Brisbane’s title tilt.

“I’m not disappointed to lose him (to the Tigers), I’m really happy for him,” Bennett said.

“He’s brought everything the critics said he wouldn’t bring.

“He’s been everything that everybody said he wasn’t.

“I just don’t want to risk him. He is important for us at NRL level.”

Marshall’s departure, and Ben Hunt’s defection to the Dragons, has left the Broncos searching for a new utility.

It could be some time before the Broncos land a replacement but Marshall could play a key role for Brisbane in the back end of 2017.

Given Bennett does not want to risk Marshall, it is unlikely he will be sighted in Dolphins colours again this season.

“I wish him all the best,” Dolphins coach Adam Mogg said.

“I’m sure it’s a club he has some great memories at and he has an opportunity now to go back there and finish his career.

“It’s a real credit to Benji that he still has a desire to play in the NRL.

“Every time he played for Redcliffe, he’s been great. He’s obviously a talent and has been really professional. I know the players have loved playing with him.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...o/news-story/3f6697f7ce4d8a3e5796192e42965511

I'm down in Sydney now and no mention of Bennett helping his career AT ALL. At least a they're consistent I suppose

He seemed happy in any interviews I saw. Certainly had good things to say about the Broncos.

Good to see the veteran having fun. I had no idea how he'd be used at the beginning of the season, but you've got to crack a wry grin when you realise, after a couple of injuries, that your second spare half is Benji f*cking Marshall!

All things being equal I don't think Wayne has many plans for him for the rest of the campaign. He would have been pretty foul with that effort on Semi ... been surplus to requirements ever since.

All things being equal I don't think Wayne has many plans for him for the rest of the campaign. He would have been pretty foul with that effort on Semi ... been surplus to requirements ever since.
Yeah, I think your right.

It may take an injury to see Benji back in Bronco colors.

Yeah, I think your right.

It may take an injury to see Benji back in Bronco colors.
Or a loss if Kodi stinks it up again. I still think to win a premiership, Benji needs to be playing a significant role in the side.

Last edited:

Unread

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Jedhead
  • Dash
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Ondi
  • broncos4life
  • Lurker
  • Pablo
  • Gaz
  • Browny
  • Harry Sack
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.