Bennett caught in a storm

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
43051 39 2

Wayne Bennett tied up as Broncos, Storm wait on Craig Bellamy’s decision on where he’ll coach next season

June 9, 2018

THE future coaching structures at NRL powerhouses Brisbane and Melbourne remains no clearer as the rivalry between Wayne Bennett and Craig Bellamy provides an intriguing subplot to one of the biggest club games of the season.

Two weeks after it was revealed Brisbane had approached Bellamy to take over the coaching reins in 2020, Bennett’s Broncos travel to AAMI Park hoping to ambush the reigning premiers in a battle littered with Origin stars.

But while the on-field action provides a mouth-watering main course, there is no escaping the spicy side dish that the current coaching conundrum adds to Sunday’s encounter, despite both coaches best efforts to talk the situation down.

It is still unknown where Bellamy’s future lies after the Storm mentor claimed he could provide no updates on whether he will stay with Melbourne or take a year off before taking charge of Brisbane in 2020.

“It’s ongoing,” he said.

“Since the last time (I was asked), I am probably a little bit closer but other than that I don’t have too much to say. Hopefully it will be done soon.

“The clubs have been really understanding, very patient.”

But the delay is also affecting Bennett’s future at the Broncos.

While the supercoach is adamant he will see out the final year of his current contract next season, he said he hadn’t been able to discuss any possibility of staying beyond 2019 while Bellamy continues to mull over his future.

“I can’t make a decision until he makes one,” Bennett said.

“It’s not in my hands. Until Craig makes up his mind, there’s nothing anybody else can do. We’re playing the waiting game too.”

Despite the ongoing speculation, Bennett said the match at AAMI Park was not about the coaches.

Both teams are chasing their eighth win of the season, with the Storm three spots ahead of the Broncos on the ladder thanks to a strong for-and-against.

And Bennett said the close contests and long history between the two sides is what makes their rivalry so good — not what happens in the coaching box.

“It doesn’t frustrate me,” he said of the “battle of the coaches” tag.

“I don’t think about it, it doesn’t worry me. I’m not going to battle with Craig.

“My battle is to get these guys to play well and do their best. That’s my battle, not something that someone puts in their mind.

“I worked with (Bellamy) here for five years so I know him pretty well. He’s a really dedicated bloke, one of those guys you just like being around.

“He’s a good fella, cares about his players and he’s done a good job with them. “It’s a big rivalry between both clubs. It’s always been there … I hope we lift.”

Source: Courier Mail

James Hooper believes he is staying put at the storm.
Take it for what you’d like, but he was the one that revealed the story that Brisbane were chasing Bellamy, a couple of weeks back..

If he stays at the Storm then we need to start charging people 100k just to talk to us. Might stop every fucking joe from using us just to bump up their price.

James Hooper believes he is staying put at the storm.
Take it for what you’d like, but he was the one that revealed the story that Brisbane were chasing Bellamy, a couple of weeks back..
Where did he say that?

View attachment 3148

Wayne Bennett tied up as Broncos, Storm wait on Craig Bellamy’s decision on where he’ll coach next season

June 9, 2018

THE future coaching structures at NRL powerhouses Brisbane and Melbourne remains no clearer as the rivalry between Wayne Bennett and Craig Bellamy provides an intriguing subplot to one of the biggest club games of the season.

Two weeks after it was revealed Brisbane had approached Bellamy to take over the coaching reins in 2020, Bennett’s Broncos travel to AAMI Park hoping to ambush the reigning premiers in a battle littered with Origin stars.

But while the on-field action provides a mouth-watering main course, there is no escaping the spicy side dish that the current coaching conundrum adds to Sunday’s encounter, despite both coaches best efforts to talk the situation down.

It is still unknown where Bellamy’s future lies after the Storm mentor claimed he could provide no updates on whether he will stay with Melbourne or take a year off before taking charge of Brisbane in 2020.

“It’s ongoing,” he said.

“Since the last time (I was asked), I am probably a little bit closer but other than that I don’t have too much to say. Hopefully it will be done soon.

“The clubs have been really understanding, very patient.”

But the delay is also affecting Bennett’s future at the Broncos.

While the supercoach is adamant he will see out the final year of his current contract next season, he said he hadn’t been able to discuss any possibility of staying beyond 2019 while Bellamy continues to mull over his future.

“I can’t make a decision until he makes one,” Bennett said.

“It’s not in my hands. Until Craig makes up his mind, there’s nothing anybody else can do. We’re playing the waiting game too.”

Despite the ongoing speculation, Bennett said the match at AAMI Park was not about the coaches.

Both teams are chasing their eighth win of the season, with the Storm three spots ahead of the Broncos on the ladder thanks to a strong for-and-against.

And Bennett said the close contests and long history between the two sides is what makes their rivalry so good — not what happens in the coaching box.

“It doesn’t frustrate me,” he said of the “battle of the coaches” tag.

“I don’t think about it, it doesn’t worry me. I’m not going to battle with Craig.

“My battle is to get these guys to play well and do their best. That’s my battle, not something that someone puts in their mind.

“I worked with (Bellamy) here for five years so I know him pretty well. He’s a really dedicated bloke, one of those guys you just like being around.

“He’s a good fella, cares about his players and he’s done a good job with them. “It’s a big rivalry between both clubs. It’s always been there … I hope we lift.”

Source: Courier Mail
Funny things happen when you omit stuff, like WB saying he doesn't read the shit ( my word ) journos write. I think he was referring to statements about frustrations and battles. I wish there was a site that simply reported every statement verbatim, every event without comment, just an untarnished, unvarnished description.

If he doesn’t sign with us is there a way the staff BHQ could filter each post to ensure we never see a single post about him?

Fair bet He’s going to let our tyres down here but odd he hasn’t made an announcement to stay.

On Triple M.

Hooper also said months ago that Craig was about to re-sign with the Storm within the next few days. Months later, it still hasn't happened.

I don't think he really knows much about what's going on.
Frankly I get the impression that Bellamy hasn’t made up his own mind yet.

Consequently Mole is full of shit.

Active Now

• Astro
  • Santa
  • Financeguy
  • Broncs1459
  • Jazza
  • Spoon
  • john1420
  • Ondi
  • Manofoneway
  • levikaden
  • Fitzy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Tim K
  • BruiserMk1
  • thenry
  • Jason Simmons
  • RolledOates
  • I bleed Maroon
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.