Bennett, Dragons reach agreement (apparently)

B

Bannermania

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23465370-23214,00.html

Bennett, Dragons reach agreement

By Phil Rothfield
April 01, 2008

WAYNE Bennett has signed a three-year contract to coach St George Illawarra in the NRL from next season.
Brisbane's six-time premiership-winning coach reached an agrrement with the club yesterday, and the contract was rubber stamped by the board late last night.

The club is expected to call a press conference later today to make the appointment official.

St George Illawarra will become Bennett's third NRL club after two decades at the Broncos following a short stint with Canberra.

Bennett will replace Nathan Brown, who could still be retained at the club in some capacity on the coaching staff.

I'll be waiting for this press conference with baited breath.

Dude, you're a smoker. Your breath is already baited [eusa_eh

ugh.

I'm very upset he's signed with that scum. Still if there's anyone who could make something of that overpaid and overated bunch of misfit players it's probably Bennett.

Good move for him and the Dragons IMO.

He's the right man for them.

Well I suppose it had to be someone and I suppose the Dragons were sick of losing grand finals to him they decided to get him to coach them. Whats worse is the reality that hes actually going. [icon_frown

Wayne Bennett - Broncos Press Release said:
It is a great honour for me to be appointed as the head coach of the St George Illawarra Dragons, as they are one of the great clubs and brands of the NRL, with a rich history and tradition.

Yesterday I met with the board of the Dragons, we had a very meaningful discussion about a number of issues in relation to the club and the direction for 2009 and beyond, but I won’t be making any appointments until later in the year.

I advised the Broncos this morning of my decision and I won’t be making any further comment until the completion of the 2008 season for both the Broncos and the Dragons.

Wayne Bennett.

The biggest April Fools joke of all time? [icon_lol1.

To be honest I don't really care when he goes but I don't think he has anything left to prove in the NRL. It'll be very tough for him because everyone's expectations will be massive.The only way he's going to escape criticism is if St. George win a premiership in the next 3 years. If they don't, everyone's going to come out saying "oh, he was only good at Brisbane because he had the cattle". :roll:

Taken from NRL.com:

'St George Illawarra have confirmed the appointment of Wayne Bennett as coach of the NRL club for next year.

The six-time premiership-winning coach, who earlier this year announced he would be leaving the Broncos after 21 years at the helm, has signed a three-year deal with the Dragons.

He will replace embattled coach Nathan Brown.'

Read the whole lot here:

http://www.nrl.com/News/Latest/tabid/10 ... x?id=50328

:cry: Yeah it is true.Just seen the interview on Fox.Blown away [icon_thumbs_do

Good luck to him, cause he will need it.

Some talent to work with and he and Dell will be reunited icon_thumbs_u , but looking forward to them choking again. The club would be kicking themselves for getting rid of so many good young forwards over the last few years, but no doubt WB will find some new ones.

i didnt think he would sign a 3 year deal. i wonder if he will retire after that. that only really gives him 2 years to get the team he wants.

Would have preferred to see him at Canberra but at least its not the dogs.

The Rock said:
But you watch how many players the Dragons will attract now.

You are happy they will attract a lot of good players now?Some of our promising kids?
I'm not.Hate the dragons.Always have always will.

I don't want to see WB fail there but I don't want to see that team holding up a trophy either.No win situation ey. [icon_confu
(Least it could be worse.It could be the Dogs I spose)

I didnt say he would fail at Saints.My meaning was if he doesnt fail he could get them to a GF.being the coach that he is.(personally I would hate to see him do that If he doesnt get them close to that he will be classed a failure in the eyes of many as expectations of WB are so high.
No win situation. [icon_thumbs_do

The Rock said:
Kee said:
You are happy they will attract a lot of good players now?Some of our promising kids?
I'm not.Hate the dragons.Always have always will.

I don't want to see WB fail there but I don't want to see that team holding up a trophy either.No win situation ey. [icon_confu
(Least it could be worse.It could be the Dogs I spose)

Who ever said that they will get some of OUR promising young kids? I know it's very likely, but there is no gurantee.

Why would Wayne Bennet fail there? Do you not have any faith in him? The only reason why Brown failed there was because he's B Grade coach, it's as simple as that really.

Kee's not saying he will fail. Just that she doesn't want him to fail, nor does she want the Dragons to do well. I feel the same way, it's very conflicting.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Hurrijo
  • Alec
  • Thelmus
  • Ozired
  • MrRobot
  • simplythebest
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Rookie Alan
  • Financeguy
  • Mustafur
  • DrGee
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.