Bennett holds the key for Blair

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
WAYNE Bennett holds the key to Adam Blair’s NRL future as the Kiwis captain weighs up a return to New Zealand.

Blair has attracted interest from the Warriors which could see 2017 be his third and final season at the Broncos.

The 31-year-old prop is contracted to the Broncos until the end of next season, however Brisbane would be open to releasing Blair if he receives a longer offer from the Warriors.

The biggest sticking point in the scenario is Bennett.

Blair deputised as captain while Darius Boyd was injured earlier this season and the coach has a high opinion of the front row enforcer.

Broncos chief executive Paul White said he had not entertained the thought of letting Blair go but pointed to the club’s release of halfback Ashley Taylor to the Titans in 2015.

“I haven’t contemplated that to be honest,” he said.

“If you look back at what happened when Ash Taylor left our club, he had a year to run on his contract. It doesn’t always work out perfectly but we were able to come up with a good solution that suited Ash.

“It was a decision our club could live with. That’s the nature of recruitment and retention.

“The players have a limited time in the game. You’re always acknowledging that while still making sure the club’s best interests are served.

“It’s never an easy decision. It’s not one I’m contemplating at the moment.

“We’re a club that’s look at things on balance and overall making good decisions for our club, the players and their families as well.”

If Blair was to leave Red Hill, it would raise some questions about the strength of Brisbane’s front row stocks.

The Broncos were banking on Redcliffe prop Matt Lodge joining their ranks next season, however he is contemplating quitting the game.

Emerging prop Herman Ese’ese has been poached by Newcastle, but the Broncos re-signed George Fai for a further two seasons yesterday.

Fai, 20, made his NRL debut in Round 12 and is expected to become a first grade regular next year alongside Joe Ofahengaue.

“I am excited,” Fai said.

“It is something you work hard for, especially coming off the contract I had last year.

“I’ve had heaps of talks with Wayne. That bench spot is up for grabs next year.

“I hope I get the chance and opportunity to cement my spot.”

www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/broncos/coach-wayne-bennett-holds-the-key-to-adam-blairs-future-at-the-broncos/news-story/51ac67a94b3cd6ceed719d39bcab1219

I might cop a bit of flak over this, but perhaps it's time to look to the future long term, take a short term hit and let Blair go and if I had my way I would do the same for Thaiday because his future at the club will come to a close at the end of next year which would give us more options to blood and feed our younger forwards valuable experience which will be for the better long term. Open the door for players like Fai, Haas etc

Surely if Blair goes a year early then there'd have to be serious discussions about Thaiday as well.

I might cop a bit of flak over this, but perhaps it's time to look to the future long term, take a short term hit and let Blair go and if I had my way I would do the same for Thaiday because his future at the club will come to a close at the end of next year which would give us more options to blood and feed our younger forwards valuable experience which will be for the better long term. Open the door for players like Fai, Haas etc

Your right. You are going to cop some flack. And you deserve to.

We struggle to compete in the middle third now. Imagine what it will be like for a lot of 20 - 23 year olds?

Watch Newcastle's pack get manhandled. Watch the Broncos game from 2014 against the Sharks when we had a young pack and we got stood over.

We need to keep Blair.

I'd be happy to get rid of Thaiday.

What we need to look at is the number of 18 - 22 yo backrowers we have. We need to pick a couple and get rid of the rest.

Your right. You are going to cop some flack. And you deserve to.

We struggle to compete in the middle third now. Imagine what it will be like for a lot of 20 - 23 year olds?

Watch Newcastle's pack get manhandled. Watch the Broncos game from 2014 against the Sharks when we had a young pack and we got stood over.

We need to keep Blair.

I'd be happy to get rid of Thaiday.

What we need to look at is the number of 18 - 22 yo backrowers we have. We need to pick a couple and get rid of the rest.

Don't try and start world war 3 with some common sense.
But yeah above is pretty much spot on. Everyone way overhypes our juniors when the cold hard truth is, they are no where ready to lead the team. TPJ is a great player, but he isn't ready to handle 60+ minutes and be a forward leader of the team. Neither is Arrow, Fai, Joffa, or any other young prop. Every good team has the hard nuts in the team that know what it takes to get it done. Blair is your carbon copy of that.

If Blair goes then surely McGuire moves to the front row again, Gillett to lock and Oates to the backrow... win win win

If Blair goes then surely McGuire moves to the front row again, Gillett to lock and Oates to the backrow... win win win

i'd probably only have one win out of those three

Moving Moose back to Prop is a win:

Oates needs to stay on the wing, we just don't have the depth on the wing for him to move. where as, we have plenty of talent in the back row, Oates may also not be as effective if he moves into the pack.

If Moose does move back to prop, then TPJ is an absolute must to start in the 13. Gillett can stay where he is.

He's not what the Warriors need. You'd be a mental case to choose to head to the Warriors. I mean sure, he's from Kiwi, but Kiwi is just cold and wet, and have a shitty football team. There's no positives for moving there as a footy player.

Looks like Wayne is trying to free up some dollars.

I know blairs a kiwi but would he really want to move back to that cold quiet place? Look at our winters day today, nothing but blue skies and sunshine.

Honestly, I'd be pushing Thaiday out the door this year. He can hang around if he wants but unless he absolutely rips it up, fringe bench forward at best, mostly playing Q Cup. He's been a wonderful servant and you can't deny he's a Bronco through and through, but he has regressed as a player and his once every 4-5 game efforts just aren't acceptable anymore.

I don't think his heart is in it, I think he's accepted his playing days are close to over and is choosing to develop his post career opportunities.

But Blair, nah. Blair still does a lot for us, I'd be keeping him for another 2 years tbh.

Agreed with @Brent81, we have a glut of 18-22yo forwards/second rowers, pick a couple and set the rest free. Turf the old timers that aren't pulling their weight, but keep a couple, you don't want a young pack with no hardened forward leader.

I've been hearing this was on the cards for a long time this year. What we should do imo, is go straight to the Bulldogs and get in James Graham. I think he is exactly what we need tbh. I think he is much more of a leader than Blair, and i think we need that in our forwards. I'm not saying Blair doesnt have an influence, but i dont think he is the leader Graham is. I'd Still also love us to get his English team mate Chris Hill. I think these two blokes would be a revelation for us.

I like Blair and his 1%ers the question is how much is he worth? I'd strongly prefer to keep Blair next year but salary cap is a big issue. And doubt he would be worth much to us year after. Much prefer to retire Thaiday he is barely worth minimum wage last couple of years. Other big question is should we be ruthless and keep him against his wishes or let him go and show we are the good guys to future players. I don't see the sense in keeping him against his wishes short or long term providing there is adequate cover. If Bird goes to lock then McGuire to Prop. Still shy a genuine starting Prop agree can't just hope TPJ, Offa and Fai is ready since lost ESE and Lodge. And if injury.... If Lillyman was still looking good could consider him on minimum wage if warriors cover the rest in the swap.

BTW big difference letting Taylor with huge potential go for 2 out of position players and Blair who is coming towards the end and is looking to cash out in a final contract. Also note proviso is we have cover before we let him go.

Last edited:
Blair and Thaiday out, promote Su'a, get Taylor back

Seems to be a pretty straightforward outcome to be honest. Retain Sims but make it clear to him he's on thin ice and needs to lift

Blair and Thaiday out, promote Su'a, get Taylor back

Seems to be a pretty straightforward outcome to be honest. Retain Sims but make it clear to him he's on thin ice and needs to lift

Maybe consider Sims on the cheap. He is a little too much Ashton at this point. Need a huge lift from him.

The thing is, if Blair leaves it is a shame but not the end of the world. These are the kind of hard decisions the club needs to make to go from usual finalists to genuine contenders.

Blair and Thaiday go, that frees up some cash firstly. Secondly, hopefully with a bit of maneuvering, we can genuinely entice Taylor back.

If Thaiday and Blair go, we still have:

8. McGuire (if this is what most of us hope happens, happens)
9. McCullough
10. Joffa
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. TPJ (Hopefully) / Bird (if this is the way Bennett goes)

Hardly a Newcastle style clean out as there is still plenty of experience there and more opportunities for youngsters to work their way on to the bench / starting side. Hopefully that in turn leads to more youngsters staying and more hunger as there is greater opportunity.

14. Sua
15. Sims
16. TPJ/Fai
17. Fai/Haas

And yes, I've probably forgotten someone

I think regardless of what our pack looks like next year (even the rest of this year for that matter) they need to take a leaf out of our 2015 attitude.

Having a look back at our front row we started with Thaiday and Blair who could be considered genuine second rowers then our lock was an aging Corey Parker. On the bench was a rookie joe offa, a still developing Jarryd Wallace and a very stock standard nothing special Mitchell Dodds. You look at that pack on paper and don't give us much chance of coming within 30 seconds of winning a grend final.

I feel like a change of attitude is required up front from whoever is tasked with doing the dirty work for us. An average forward pack with a good work ethic can still get the job done and a quality pack with a rubbish attitude can be easily steam rolled.

Unread

Active Now

• Ghost of Vlansys
  • Ondi
  • broncos4life
  • Dash
  • Jedhead
  • Lurker
  • Pablo
  • Culhwch
  • Gaz
  • Browny
  • Harry Sack
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • sooticus
  • Manofoneway
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.