NEWS Bennett to Broncos: you can all get fucked

Yep, Arrow isn't the right buy, just like Jack Bird wasn't (and not because of his injuries but position-ally not needed) for us.

Arrow will be good but he is not what they need the most. Both big dollar spends in the wrong position.

I don't think Sua got a fair shot here under Seibs for whatever reason, his form was pretty poor but he just needed more consistent game time and he is now getting that at Souths and is coming good.
Can't say I agree about Arrow. My concern would be how injury prone he is, but there is no denying he's an absolute top shelf middle Forward when he's fully fit.

I'm also not sure where the idea Souths don't need middle Forwards came from? They have Burgess and Tatola in their Front Row, neither of whom are in Arrow's class, and Liam Knight floating in their pack and is looking good now but again, is likely to need some help from a guy like Arrow who has an enormous motor.

The failings are recruitment and retention. Siebold was a rookie coach given 5 year plus option with no evidence of capability or experience of doing a rebuild . He was obviously signed to take the team to next level which is what I think WB entire rant was about .

everyone bangs on about players let go , I think the real damming statistic was , what players did they bring in to replace them the ones let go. I think Luke and Te’o only new players brought outside the club and that was only the last few weeks .
When they let go of players they relied on young players with potential and used money to upgrade other young players in the squad . I think they failed 101 of building a squad that you should be looking at constantly squad , not let go half a dozen players and replace them with rookies

The failings are recruitment and retention. Siebold was a rookie coach given 5 year plus option with no evidence of capability or experience of doing a rebuild . He was obviously signed to take the team to next level which is what I think WB entire rant was about .

everyone bangs on about players let go , I think the real damming statistic was , what players did they bring in to replace them the ones let go. I think Luke and Te’o only new players brought outside the club and that was only the last few weeks .
When they let go of players they relied on young players with potential and used money to upgrade other young players in the squad . I think they failed 101 of building a squad that you should be looking at constantly squad , not let go half a dozen players and replace them with rookiesg
It like an endless circular argument. That is fine, how do we bring players in when we have no cap space, because our experienced players are chewing up half the cap, are signed on long term contracts with options in their favour?

In fact, he did bring players in last year, Kennedy, Segeyaro, Kennar, Perese, Arthurs (this year), Croft (this year), Teo (this year), Luke (this year). He is limited in his ability to recruit, which them impacts upon the type of player he can recruit because of the salary cap.

ll
You have watched the team play recently haven't you? It's looking pretty bloody grim.
Okay, early warning, this will be a long response.

I agree it is looking grim. I have already conceded on the evidence currently available it looks like you, Goat, Accept and rest of the Seibold death squad may be on the money.

I just think that in a scenario where the club have gone balls in on signing a coach to such a long contract, that it is too early to sack him in circumstances where in his first two seasons as a head coach he has made the finals, and we are seven games into a season where we are sitting at 2-5. Some of the losses have been very bad, but you could not sack a coach on the basis of that record.

I am a bit more sanguine about our position compared to a lot of you, with some of the shit that has happened this year , the Brioncos sitting at 2-5 is the least of my problems.

Something that a commentator said about the Democratic primaries back in the dark ages of 1979/80 has always stuck with me. This was Teddy Kennedy v Jimmy Carter (the incumbent President). He said if Kennedy wins,. Carter loses. It was stating the bleeding obvious but it has always stuck with me. In terms of Seibold, he will either fail or he won't. It is out of our collective hands which results occurs.

The Board and management are sticking with him. I can remember way back in 1989 a relatively inexperienced coach at the NSWRL level at the tender age of 39 years had the public armed with pitchforks in the streets demanding that he be sacked. He received a very strong and very public statement of support from club management and then went on to win six premierships with that club.

Fast forward ten years, that same coach, his side after winning the premiership the previous season, started the season 0-5 and was 1/10 with a much better side. That side fought back to make the finals.

I am not comparing Bennett to Seibold. By the time Bennett got his first NSWRL gig at Canberra, he was a vastly more experienced coach than Seibold and a far better coach than Seibold. I am just making the point that Seibold has to be given the opportunity to fail or succeed and it is far too early to make that call.

All I know is that the Club has seen fit to back him, so whilst that is the case I will support him.

You may well be right that he is an absolute dud, but I have heard a lot of commentary from people that have worked with him (including Walters) that say he is a good coach. 1910 from his comments appears to have thought that as well and cannot understand what the disconnect is. There is clearly a disconnect which is on Seibold as the coach to discover what it is and fix it. If his players cannot understand his game plan or tactics, alter them or simplify them.

It may well be that the challenge that they are all currently facing is the furnace required to temper their steel, to harden them (both the coach and the team) to make them into a genuine prospect. Alternatively, if they are not up to it (individually or collectively) and the heat is too much and they are too brittle, they may melt.

I think we will have a pretty clear indication by the end of this season where Seibold stands. He will either fail or he won't.

If he does end up being a failure, and it is correct that the contract we have signed him to does not have a performance clause allowing termination of the contract, whoever was involved with negotiating that contract should follow him out the door.

I think we will have a pretty clear indication by the end of this season where Seibold stands. He will either fail or he won't.

Even if it means blindly heading for the spoon!
If he can't get the lads up to beat the Warriors or the Bulldogs, that is where we are headed for the first time in existence. This is unfathomable, in last place with over half the season to go and say 'oh wait he hasn't failed yet'.

So now seibold has come out and said that the roster bullshit Morris was spewing was in fact, bullshit.

Lol what a fucking clown show.

ll

Okay, early warning, this will be a long response.

I agree it is looking grim. I have already conceded on the evidence currently available it looks like you, Goat, Accept and rest of the Seibold death squad may be on the money.

I just think that in a scenario where the club have gone balls in on signing a coach to such a long contract, that it is too early to sack him in circumstances where in his first two seasons as a head coach he has made the finals, and we are seven games into a season where we are sitting at 2-5. Some of the losses have been very bad, but you could not sack a coach on the basis of that record.

I am a bit more sanguine about our position compared to a lot of you, with some of the shit that has happened this year , the Brioncos sitting at 2-5 is the least of my problems.

Something that a commentator said about the Democratic primaries back in the dark ages of 1979/80 has always stuck with me. This was Teddy Kennedy v Jimmy Carter (the incumbent President). He said if Kennedy wins,. Carter loses. It was stating the bleeding obvious but it has always stuck with me. In terms of Seibold, he will either fail or he won't. It is out of our collective hands which results occurs.

The Board and management are sticking with him. I can remember way back in 1989 a relatively inexperienced coach at the NSWRL level at the tender age of 39 years had the public armed with pitchforks in the streets demanding that he be sacked. He received a very strong and very public statement of support from club management and then went on to win six premierships with that club.

Fast forward ten years, that same coach, his side after winning the premiership the previous season, started the season 0-5 and was 1/10 with a much better side. That side fought back to make the finals.

I am not comparing Bennett to Seibold. By the time Bennett got his first NSWRL gig at Canberra, he was a vastly more experienced coach than Seibold and a far better coach than Seibold. I am just making the point that Seibold has to be given the opportunity to fail or succeed and it is far too early to make that call.

All I know is that the Club has seen fit to back him, so whilst that is the case I will support him.

You may well be right that he is an absolute dud, but I have heard a lot of commentary from people that have worked with him (including Walters) that say he is a good coach. 1910 from his comments appears to have thought that as well and cannot understand what the disconnect is. There is clearly a disconnect which is on Seibold as the coach to discover what it is and fix it. If his players cannot understand his game plan or tactics, alter them or simplify them.

It may well be that the challenge that they are all currently facing is the furnace required to temper their steel, to harden them (both the coach and the team) to make them into a genuine prospect. Alternatively, if they are not up to it (individually or collectively) and the heat is too much and they are too brittle, they may melt.

If he does end up being a failure, and it is correct that the contract we have signed him to does not have a performance clause allowing termination of the contract, whoever was involved with negotiating that contract should follow him out the door.

yes....that was long....you were correct

I don't know why people seem to be so agitated over this thread. It seems there is a strong consensus that it was right to boot WB and he left the roster with some major problems. But I think we all agree Seibold should have done better with what he has. The conversation should shift to how we can make @broncsgoat come around to our way of thinking.

On another note, I can't understand why WB recruited Arrow on big money either. When Souffs already have Murray. Maybe after WBs little experiment of playing Murray on an edge backfired, he realizes himself that he screwed up.... again. And after WB didn't want Arrow at the Broncos.

I'm not sure his mind is so sharp these days. Not that it bothers me. I hope he continues to make these kind of decisions which are along the same lines of recruiting Boyd when Barba was on the books, then extending his contract for that long on that much money at that stage of Boyd's career. I could go on but others already have several times in this thread.
[automerge]1593662656[/automerge]
So now seibold has come out and said that the roster bullshit Morris was spewing was in fact, bullshit.

Lol what a fucking clown show.
He was being diplomatic.

Last edited:
Where did he say this?
Seibold rejected suggestions he told chairman Morris he needed time to rebuild the Broncos — a sentiment that triggered a savage spray from his predecessor Wayne Bennett.

“Not at all,” he said.

“I have never criticised the roster publicly or privately.

“Every single conversation I have had is about how we can continue to grow the group and the exciting part is we have so many guys in the zero-to-30 game region.

“I have never said anything else different to that.”

Not sure what the deal is with posting links but its on the courier mails website.

Seibold rejected suggestions he told chairman Morris he needed time to rebuild the Broncos — a sentiment that triggered a savage spray from his predecessor Wayne Bennett.

“Not at all,” he said.

“I have never criticised the roster publicly or privately.

“Every single conversation I have had is about how we can continue to grow the group and the exciting part is we have so many guys in the zero-to-30 game region.

“I have never said anything else different to that.”

Not sure what the deal is with posting links but its on the courier mails website.

Ok
Not a subscriber but I do get the occasional hard copy. That report wasn’t in it today, maybe tomorrow.

Ok
Not a subscriber but I do get the occasional hard copy. That report wasn’t in it today, maybe tomorrow.
It was from a press conference today.

also this of note.

“I have a really strong contract there, it’s not performance-based, but at the end of the day, I’ll know if I’m not the right person for the job.

“I won’t need anyone else to tap me on the shoulder.”

It was from a press conference today.

also this of note.

“I have a really strong contract there, it’s not performance-based, but at the end of the day, I’ll know if I’m not the right person for the job.

“I won’t need anyone else to tap me on the shoulder.”

Bennett says the same about himself when asked about how close he is to the end of his coaching days.

Unread

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Fozz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Bish
  • Broncosgirl
  • Shane Tronc
  • Mr Fourex
  • broncoscope
  • john1420
  • Strop
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • Maroon4life
  • lynx000
  • Sproj
  • PETERN
  • Wolfie
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.