NEWS Bennett to Broncos: you can all get fucked

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Supercoach Wayne Bennett responds to the smear he left a steaming turd behind at Red Hill, in particular this comment from Karl Morris:

“When Anthony arrived in 2018, he brought it up as an issue that it’s going to be a tough two or three years because of the nature of our roster and the youth in the club.”

Bennett, whose 64% win record towers over Seibold's 40%, is rightfully hopping mad:

“It was my intention to remain silent, but if the Brisbane chairman or any other person at the Broncos wants to make false assertions, I will set the record straight. Assertions have been made as to the quality of the roster and the state I left the club in. I was prepared to coach there in 2019 and 2020 with the roster that we had at the time and I don’t think anybody in the game didn’t think we could be a top-four side. I’m correcting the record here. The chairman must be oblivious to the running of the club."

Y3GfuJd0 400x400

Just admit it.

“If the roster was so bad, why would Anthony Seibold take the job? Seibold took South Sydney to a preliminary final in 2018 (before joining the Broncos). I have no doubt he thought he could win a premiership with this Broncos roster. No coach, particularly a young one, would take a job with an inferior roster to the one he is leaving. You just don’t do that."

“I did not coach or have a rundown football team at the Broncos. Let’s look at their current roster."

Overlooking Kodi Nikorima (NZ), Josh McGuire (Australia/Samoa), Matt Gillett (Australia), James Segeyaro (PNG), James Roberts (NSW), Issac Luke (NZ), Ben Te'o (QLD, England), Macca (QLD) and Jake Turpin (future QLD), the old man starts reeling names off the top of his head:

Jamayne Isaako is a New Zealand Test player. Corey Oates is a Queensland player. Xavier Coates is a PNG Test player. Darius Boyd is a former Origin and Test player. Anthony Milford is an Origin player. Kotoni Staggs is a future NSW Origin player. Matt Lodge is a good NRL prop. David Fifita and Joe Ofahengaue are Queensland Origin players. Payne Haas made his debut for NSW last year. Jordan Kahu and Alex Glenn have played Test football for New Zealand and been in a grand final. Tevita Pangai Jr and Tesi Niu have played Test football for Tonga. Seibold has 12 players with Origin or Test experience."

That he can remember.

“What are we talking here? We are being lost in the smoke-and-mirrors. There is a lot of talent there under Seibold but no-one is playing to their talent. The recruiting in my time there was never handled solely by me. We had a recruitment-and-retention committee and it included four people - Darren Lockyer (board member), Peter Nolan (recruitment chief), Paul White (CEO) and myself. It was unanimous decision that Darius would stay on. I never did the Darius contract extension. I didn’t speak to Darius’ manager George Mimis through the whole process. Paul White handled Darius’ deal. There was no player that was signed or discussed that did not involve the committee all being consulted."

D5jnR76XsAE5x62

Inadmissible as evidence.

“I never recruited a single player myself without seeking the approval of the committee. I never negotiated a single contract with a player, that was left to Paul White and Peter Nolan. On most occasions, I was not even aware of the exact contract details for a player. I was aware of a general figure but in negotiations that figure can change once the deal is finally signed. I can’t recall any moment where we didn’t have unanimous agreement on a player.”

So there you have it: they're all to blame.

McHunt

Last edited:
Whats he gonna do though? Come out and say yup, i resigned players with injuries, past their prime players and too many young players vs inexperience?

The trend here is Wayne leaving clubs worse off in his wake.

I think Wayne is a great coach, but there is no doubt he left the place in a shambles, be it alone, or with the help of White/Locky etc.

There'd be plenty of coaches lining up to take over Wayne's job in 2019, there'd be practically no one willing to take the job now. That tells you what you need to know about how Wayne left the club and what Seibold has done to it.

There'd be plenty of coaches lining up to take over Wayne's job in 2019, there'd be practically no one willing to take the job now. That tells you what you need to know about how Wayne left the club and what Seibold has done to it.
ehhh yes and no.
Seibold didnt sign Boyd on an 800k deal.
I mean, if Bennett, White, and Locky are responsible for decisions like that, what else did they royally **** before Wayne left.

Everyone fucked up.

Wayne: The roster he left was never going to compete for a premiership.
Seibold: Going balls deep into rebuilding and banking on rookies that may or may not even make it.
The front office: Spending overs on players, messing up the coaching situation.

Everyone fucked up.

Wayne: The roster he left was never going to compete for a premiership.
Seibold: Going balls deep into rebuilding and banking on rookies that may or may not even make it.
The front office: Spending overs on players, messing up the coaching situation.
Yea i am inclined to agree with this, it was a trifecta of fuckups all around, no one is innocent in this debacle.

The evidence here is almost two years on, what's changed? What has drastically improved? Nothing.....

I didn't hear WB say these things but if quoted correctly as I believe it likely is then WB has cleared the air over contracts, Boyd and the roster.

There was absolutely NO DOUBT in the media and on this site that Seibold was getting a real high quality and exciting team when he came to the Broncos. If anyone thought he was getting a basketcase they most certainly didn't yell about it. Optimism abounded. Let no one rewrite history now to try to demonize WB. I wanted him to see out his contract at least.

“I never recruited a single player myself without seeking the approval of the committee. I never negotiated a single contract with a player, that was left to Paul White and Peter Nolan. On most occasions, I was not even aware of the exact contract details for a player. I was aware of a general figure but in negotiations that figure can change once the deal is finally signed. I can’t recall any moment where we didn’t have unanimous agreement on a player.”

Am I the only one seeing a pretty big problem here? Why is it incumbent on anybody but the coach and the football department who gets recruited and who doesn't? Why are White and Lockyer involved in anything except getting pen to paper when the decisions have already been made by the coach and his staff? And yet Bennett says here he has to seek approval for picking up players that he wants? And that is Wayne Bennett. WUT.

Last edited:
Why was it so hard to let the 6 time premiership winning Broncos coach (the only ever) just see out his final year?
Morris, White & Lockyer have invoked some bad karma on our club. These fuckers need to leave, can we petition Newscorp to sack these clowns.

Whats he gonna do though? Come out and say yup, i resigned players with injuries, past their prime players and too many young players vs inexperience?

The trend here is Wayne leaving clubs worse off in his wake.

I think Wayne is a great coach, but there is no doubt he left the place in a shambles, be it alone, or with the help of White/Locky etc.

When my mind finally clicked over and said to itself "yep, this guy is a dud. We've done it again." during the Roosters thrashing, I was half tempted to just go full rage about seeing Bennett off to disastrous effect a second time, but I couldn't bring myself to do it this time. This playing group delivered that semi final appearance against the Dragons under Wayne, so he can hardly talk now about most of the same players underperforming under Seibold. Also Jack Bird was his **** up and his alone, and to be frank to see him conveniently dodge that point just does to show you Wayne's self preservation streak.

Why was it so hard to let the 6 time premiership winning Broncos coach (the only ever) just see out his final year?
Morris, White & Lockyer have invoked some bad karma on our club. These fuckers need to leave, can we petition Newscorp to sack these clowns.
They would have .... if he didn't start getting involved with his future club ...

Businesses kind of frown on you helping a rival, you know

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • Skyblues87
  • Sproj
  • Broncosgirl
  • broncos4life
  • Rough and Ready
  • LittleDavey
  • Horseheadsup
  • bazza
  • Scorchie
  • Foordy
  • winslow_wong
  • Mustafur
  • Xzei
  • Santa
  • Galah
  • MrTickyMcG
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.